• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/26/1983

I know that two posts on baptism have been shut down, and I am not trying to revisit the "baptism as a must for salvation debate". I just want to know what you think about the types of baptisms mentioned in the Bible and where your beliefs lie in regards to the different "types" of baptism.

There are at least 5 types of baptism mentioned in the Bible:

1-baptism by repentance

2-baptism in water

3-baptism into the Holy Spirit

4-baptism by fire

5-baptism into the Body of Christ

What do these mean to you and your ideas of baptism and salvation? Can we not agree that there are different types of baptism and the all Christians by way of our basic beliefs have been baptised in at least one way? I am genuinly curious and would like to learn more about different baptisms.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

from damo1

high how are you i see were you are coming from when you stated this

There are 5 types of baptisim

1 baptisem by repentance

2 baptisem in water

3 baptisem into the holy spirit

4 baptisem by fire

5 baptisem into the body of christ

i had what jesus had and that was a water baptisem and i also read up on the other ones you mentioned

matthew 3 the baptisem of jesus 13 14 15

then jesus came from Galilee to the jorden to be baptized by john

but john tried to deter him saying i need to be baptized by you and do not come to me

jesus replied to him let it be so now it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness

and i have heard of others being baptized by the way john was baptizing people as well

matthew 3 11

i baptize you with water for repetance but after me wil come one who is more power full than i whoes sandels i am not fit to carry he will baptize you with the holy spirit and with fire

Acts is more acurate though many are against speaking in tounges and being baptized like this

acts 2 the holy spirit comes at penticost verse 1= 4

when the day of penticost came they were all together in one place

suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filed the hole house where they were sitting

they saw what seemed to be tounges of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them

all of them wear filled with the holy spirit and began speaking in other tounges as the spirit enabled them

i do not know how this post is going to go to be honest as every one is diffrent on this and i know some times things can get heated as i have heard what happend in penticost was for that time and the spirit does not move like he did in the time when jesus the dicsiples and the apostles wear alive and gods spirit was working threw them

when i got baptized i had a water baptisem this happend when i was just out of jail and settled in a new church but i went threw a study with the pastor and sevral close friends as there were sevral other people also wanting to get bapized on the same day as me so we sat as a group and our pastor talked on the truth of water baptisem and he wanted us to be aware of what we as humans were agreeing to do as its like a comitment he expalined or like when blood brother swear on an oath and he even warned us that many will come against what the church is doing now and will even say it was only for that time and the gift of speaking in tounges was only for that time and told us not to listen to that religous spirit or religon style of preaching and teaching

we read threw this i have this in my personal note pad which has a lot of things i jotted down from 1988

in the beginning

from the beginning of time god made the person and the power of the holy spirit clear in fact the holy spirit is the first manifestation of the god head in scripture and the spirit of god was hovering over the face of the waters gen 1-2

when god created adam out of the dust of the ground he began by forming mud that mud was dead until the breath of life came the bible says that god breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living being gen 2-7

the breath of god is the holy gohst or holy spirit as most know him by his name this is how job described it the spirit of god has made me and the breath of the all mighty gives me life job 33 -4

the moment god breathed into adam he came alive when adam opend his eyes the first contac he had was with the holy spirit for he was the breath that flowed through adams body and remained hovering over him adam stood up completly filled with the presence of god the living word of god tells me that god the holy spirit was the power of creation by his spirit he adorned the heavens job 26-13

the same spirit that breathed life into adam this is the same spirit that breathes a new life in us when we surrender

god wants to pour that spirit on me

so these are my own personal notes i am sharing to you and this is the way it was explained to me on water baptisem and what happend from the start in genises

around midnight is when i got baptized in the spirit this happend in september 1988 and i began to speak in tounges and my two friends i was living with who invited me to live with them in their own home heard me and came in my room and sat next to me and encouraged me to let it come out and do not hold back as the pastor and every one else did not pray for this they prayed that i would experiance this when i am more settled and told me not to panic but just let god do it his way and in his time as i woke up and then it just came out i was on a buzz all day and did not expect it to happen this way

on monday night in prayer meeting we had prayed over a new brother who did not have a water baptisem but he wanted to be baptised with fire as he was asking for the gift to speak in tounges as our church is a spirit filled church that only preaches the truth of gods word and he opend up and began to speak in tounges but we will be baptizing him with a full water baptisem as well so as to seal the deal

i am only speaking on what i have read and what i have in my own personal notes as i jot down a lot of things when i am sitting in church this is the way i was taught and it works for me and it helps me as like a jurnel

yet i know others will add more things in on this topic

i dont know if this will help you i hope it does

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/26/1983

Thanks for your input damo! I just want to add before anyone gets angry at me for reopening this can 'o worms that I believe that there is a huge amount of Biblical evidence that baptism is important in salvation. My only question is, how do we know what kind of baptism God means? I would think that the whole act of being "saved" would cover repentance and Holy Spirit baptism as we are renewed by the Spirit. So I guess I would say that baptism is essential to salvation, but is also part and parcel with it? Not sure?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Thanks for your input damo! I just want to add before anyone gets angry at me for reopening this can 'o worms that I believe that there is a huge amount of Biblical evidence that baptism is important in salvation. My only question is, how do we know what kind of baptism God means? I would think that the whole act of being "saved" would cover repentance and Holy Spirit baptism as we are renewed by the Spirit. So I guess I would say that baptism is essential to salvation, but is also part and parcel with it? Not sure?

from damoq

you are right in saying this as this is wear it gets me anoid at how some just over react when you see the evidance right in front of you i can tel you storys of inmates having their lives turned around once they get baptized the way it is taught in gods living word but you will always have this religon spirit coming in and trying to distort gods living word and then doctrine as well

i can tell you of one story this guy called john smith he had a strong methodist up bringing and he wanted to be diffrent and reach out to people like us he has a group called the god squad and he reaches out to bikies in chapters around australia they baptized this one guy out of a rebbels group and main leader he was coverd it tattoos and what john did took photos for evidence so know one could say it was all fake this guy when he went under john and sevral other bikies prayed for this man and he had the full coversion with being baptized in fire every single sin was forgiven and when he came up all his tattoos wear gone i could not belive this mans testimony and its very power full and they have the photos on a big screen and people are just gob smacked as they can not say god does not do what he use to do when his son was walking the earth and the spirit was working threw them this young guy we prayed for in our prayer meeting on monday night same thing every single sin was forgiven and he was baptized in fire and is a changed man and he just speaks the way the spirit leads him and you just cant question god or gods living word when the evidence is right there you can do a google on john smith this mans arms are clean and no evidance of the tattos that wear on him he was coverd from back to front to arms to his eyes and to his lips and knuckles

bono from u2 supports john smith and says to every one just listen as he has a new book called on the side of the angels and you can get this in your local christian book store this book will encourage you and you wil be blessed from damo1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

there are many types of baptisms.

the more you do (and promote) the more secure you "obedience" feels.

i believe in the baptism by the Holy Spirit. This is not done by man and man cannot assist in this.

This is the one that happens when you've accepted Christ as your saviour.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I can't say I agree with the most recent post, but I would have to say that the Baptism I believe in has an element of all of those.

No Baptism is complete without all five of those points and more, in my opinion.

For me, Baptism is a grace-giving Sacrament, and is necessary for salvation. I believe that one is truly born-again upon reception of this Sacrament...and there-in may lie just differing interpretations of what being "born again" means.

That is my take on it.

• Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

As noted on other posts, there are several types of baptism. Baptism in water and repentance are very closely associated, along with receiving and experiencing the forgiveness of sins that Christ purchased for us on the cross. Concerning the baptism in the Holy Spirit, when one is born of the Spirt, born again, one receives the Holy Spirit as a seal of the salvation we have in Christ. The Apostles had this before Pentecost. At Pentecost in Acts 1&2 they received the baptism in the Holy Spirit, an empowerment for ministry.

The difference between receiving the Holy Spirit when one is saved and being baptised in the Holy Spirit is similar to the difference between giving a man a drink of living water, and that same man drowning in the ocean. Both are water (the Spirit), but the reality of the experience is dramatically different. Can one be saved, sealed by, born of the Spirit and not baptized in the Spirit? Of course, look at the Samaritans; they had been born of the Spirit and even baptized in water, but had not been baptized in the Holy Spirit until Peter and John had laid hands on them (Acts 8). Not only that, but the baptism in the Holy Spirit seems to be something that comes and goes and is not a one-time, once-and-for-all experience. Rather, the apostles were often and repeatedly filled with the Holy Spirit, especially when in a tight situation.

But of course, the place to start in relationship with God and to receive more of His goodness is in repentance, on our knees in prayer like the publican who prayed, "Lord, have mercy upon me a sinner." Being poor in spirit, recognizing one's spiritual poverty is the place to start and stay. We all need more of Jesus!

Blessings,

Sherman

• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

This is how I understand them to be:

1-baptism by repentance: John's baptism

2-baptism in water: Jesus' commandment to Apostles (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom 6:3-7, Acts 22:16, etc.)

3-baptism into the Holy Spirit: Given to Apostles by Jesus so they can have the gifts of tongues, healing, etc.

5-baptism into the Body of Christ: Same as #2

"4-baptism by fire: When hell is cast into lake of fire" :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

This is how I understand them to be:

1-baptism by repentance: John's baptism

2-baptism in water: Jesus' commandment to Apostles (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom 6:3-7, Acts 22:16, etc.)

3-baptism into the Holy Spirit: Given to Apostles by Jesus so they can have the gifts of tongues, healing, etc.

4-baptism by fire: When hell is cast into lake of fire

5-baptism into the Body of Christ: Same as #2

I always thought the baptism by fire was the baptism of the Holy Spirit, because John said, I baptize you with with water, but one comes who will baptize with fire.

• Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

Baptism into Christ

Often times and in many, if not most, denominations, water baptism is one of the initial steps of conversion. Some churches require baptism again though the person was baptised in another denomination. So in a very practical sence, water baptism is an initiation into the local body of Christ.

On the other hand, when one is Baptized in the Holy Spirit, one often begins to recognize by the Spirit others from differing denominations as being part of the universal body of Christ. This greater awareness of God working in and through people from denominations not your own is very humbling. So, in a spiritual sense, the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is an immersion into the universal body of Christ. In fact, the Charismatic movement of the 70's and 80's gave rise to the Eccumenical movement of the 80's and 90's. Of course, the Charismatic movement was people who experienced the Baptism in the Holy Spirit though they were not part of Pentecostal type churches. And though experiencing the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, they stayed in their non-Pentecostal churches.