IGNORED

Is tongues necessary?

Guest Greg Davies

Guest Greg Davies

This is of course a rhetorical question. I confess, I'm just tying to stir it up. :emot-highfive:

There seems to be primarily two reasons a Christian might not think tongues is necessay (I'm not talking about salvation now, I'm a Rom. 10:9,10, justification by faith guy all the way!).

One reason is the "cessationist" view, meaning that the gifts of the Spirit, ect. were only for the eary church and we don't need them today. I find no scripture to support this. What I do find is that Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

The second reason is that an individual may think that "tongues" is not their gift. I do see scriptural support for this in the context ot the gift of tongues described in I Cor. 12 and 13.

But my question has to do with the "unknown" tongue described in I Cor. 14. The same tongue that is a manifestation of being filled with the Holy Spirit, which we see accounts of through out the book of Acts.

Care to respond?

Greg.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

Is tongues necessary for what?

I believe that there is significant enough evidence to say that speaking in tongues is normative for thost filled by the Spirit, but I do not believe that speaking in tongues is pre-scriptive, as in one must speak in tongues in order to be considered Spirit-filled.

Also, it's important, I believe, to distinguish between speaking in tongues, as in praying in the Spirit, or a private "prayer language", and the public expression of the gift of tongues that needs to be interpreted to edify the community of faith.

Paul said, "I wish you all spoke in tongues" and "I thank God that I pray in tongues more than you all." I am very thankful for being able to pray in the Spirit. It is very edifying and really helps to clear my mind, help me hear the voice of the Lord, and discern His will. It also seems to help activate the other spiritual gifts, especially prophecy, words of wisdom and knowledge, and discerning of spirits.

Tongues might not be necessary, but it sure is something that all believers would benefit from, I believe. I figure, that the more I in faith let God control my tongue, the more He can control my life and use me to build His kingdom.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

I see that there are three different uses for tongues. First is what we find on the day of Pentecost, where the Christians talked in a different worldly language. Then there are tongues used at church where there need to be interpreters of tongues present. Lastly, there are the tongues we use in our prayer life.

Are they necessary? I think so.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

But my question has to do with the "unknown" tongue described in I Cor. 14. The same tongue that is a manifestation of being filled with the Holy Spirit, which we see accounts of through out the book of Acts.

Care to respond?

Greg.

QUESTION: if its an unknown tongue, then who is really receiving the message?

answer: NO ONE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

The workings of the Holy Spirit did not stop after the first century. But, speaking in tongues is only one of the gifts of the Spirit that a person may or may not receive. It is the one gift that people single out as being more important that any others.

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way. I Cor 12:28-31

In this part of Scripture, Paul is talking about how the Body of Christ has different parts and that all parts are important to the Body. The answer to each of the above questions is no. We are not all prophets or teachers, nor do we all speak in tongues. God gives us all gifts and it is our job to use whatever He gives us to glorify Him.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Care to respond?

Greg.

We all know your opinion on this. Would it be asking too much for you to use at least some semblance of tact and/or politness in your replies? Or would that tax you too much?

sure:

A.

1 Corinthians 14

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for

no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

first think you have to ask yourself? can a person really speak "mysteries" to God? because Paul just

said the unknown tongue talker is not talking to men.

answer: No, God knows EVERYTHING.

B.

1 Corinthians 14:4

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

ask yourself: are we supposed to edify ourselves or the church?

answer: 1 Corinthians 14:12

Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

if you need any more info of "my opinion" with scriptural support then by all means ask me. :emot-highfive:

hope youve been doing good sir. :emot-highfive:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

from damo1

i for my self speak in tongues but i use this in our prayer meetings on moday night with the others and even our pastors i feel it is for the body to use but also many do not see it is fit for the body of Christ as its of the devil which is hog wash

i can see though wear you are coming from Greg Davis in the post you left but be ready for a lynching as i feel that this post will sort of go into a bible verses what Paul said to the church in his time and i feel some will say speaking in tongues or the gift of tongues as i see it is when we ask for it and then god gives us this gift in speaking in tongues to communicate to him is which is what i do for half an hour when i feel i can not pray and by speaking in tongues my spirit is communicating to god in the language he has given me to up lift me and my spirit is telling god what is going on with in me and that way if the enemy trys to trip me up or whisper in my ear or hear what i am speaking to my father in heaven he can not do this to me as the spirit him self in me is communicating to my father in heaven '

so i am going to openly say it hear in this post that i have been bought up and taught to speak in the god given language that has been given to me and i feel no shame in saying that i as a fellow brother speak in tongues threw worship in our prayer meetings i even sing in my given language so i am not scared as i know Christians who are scared to say openly that they speak in tongues but Will not tell their Christian friends they have due to some traditional churches going against what Paul him self is saying in 1 Corinthians 14 and i know few from the aglican church even from the cathlic church and from the salvation army that speak in tounges at home but no wear near those they are fellowshipping with in their own town i even meet two strong cathlic nuns in canberra wear i was living who are on fire and they even told me it was hard for them to do this in sunday mass as wear i was living in canberra there was a hall these cathlics used and their wear around 17 of them and i was always asked to come and pray with them and encourage them to move forward in what they wear seeking and it was such a buzz being around these cathlics and the two nuns

when i got baptized whan i came out of jail in 1988 i was baptized in a heated spa at a friends place no one prayed for the gift of tongues to be given to me not even the pastor and my spiritual mentors who took me into their home prayed for me to speak in tongues but i was told by my pastor and by my spiritual mentors if god gives you this gift of speaking in tongues do not rejected this or think its evil but accept it and speak out in the gift he has given you as this will help you grow as a person you will form a healthy relationship with the holy spirit who Will guide you threw gods living word and who him self will teach you to speak in your god given gift just as my new born son was learning to form words by me teaching him a few simple things like thank you he could not say thank you but Ethan was able to say tah and instead off bottle as my wife could not breast feed him Ethan was able to say bot and i new what he was wanting and when he needed a nappy change he would come to me put his hands on my lap and point to his nappy

so this is how the holy spirit has taught me to understand 1 Corinthians 14 on the gifts of prophecy and tongues

Paul says this in 1 Corinthians 14

5 but i would like every one of you to speak in tongues but i would rather have you prophecy he who prophesies is greater then the one who speaks in tongues unless he interprets so that the church may be edified

we prayed for a new brother in our Monday night prayer meeting group as he asked to have the gift to speak in tongues as he said he was touched and felt that this was also meant for him and we encouraged our new brother in the lord to let this come out

for me it happened around midnight and my spiritual mentors i was living with came into my room and sat next too Me and prayed and encouraged me to speak openly and not be afraid of the gift god has given you

what puzzles me is why do some say it was only for that time when the apostles and Jesus disciples wear walking the earth

and why is it that us fellow brothers who use this gift and have accepted this gift in speaking in tongues always get looked down on and not given that respect we should be giving each other and walking in unity with each other instead of being disgruntled with one another and constantly going off into biblical arguments its as if its a sore spot for many who Will not open up to this

when it says in James 3 on this two kinds of wisdom

13 who is wise among and understanding among you let him show it by his good life by his good deeds done in humility that comes from wisdom

14 but if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your heart do not boast about it or deny the truth

15 such wisdom does not come down from heaven but is earthly unspiritual of the devil

16 for where you have envy selfish ambition there you find disorder and every evil practice

17 but the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure than peace loving considerate submissive full of mercy and good fruit impartial and sincere

i have even heard by some who have said this when the spirit of god fell on the apostles in the upper room on penticost they wear all miss led by the devil him self and that they did not even experiance what all said it was from god as they prayed and fasted and then while they wear in the upper room the holy spirit fell on them in power so they them selves wear trusting that this gift would be passed on to them as jesus told them to weight and i will send the holy spirit who wil give you gifts and who will lead you and guide you and he him self will convict this world threw speaking threw you

ok i am ready now for a lynching in what i have shared hear but i am a type of person that does not force my own views on what i understand in 1 corinthians 14 on no one and i do not judge my other brothers and sisters in christ who do not talk in tounges i have even learnt to be sensative in the combined prayer meeting with others who come from the aglicacn church from the cathlic church and from the salvation army and church of christ i can tell you honestly it has been hard as at times me and my pastor would look at each other and smile and think should we or should we not pray out openly in tounges like we do in our prayer meetings and bring these combined prayer meetings to life yet we just smile at each other bow our heads and pray quietly in tounges to our selves wear no one can hear us and in agreement we pray on what ever is asked to be prayed for and show respect to those as i said who do not speak in the gift of tounges

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/22/1946

This is of course a rhetorical question. I confess, I'm just tying to stir it up. :whistling:

Care to respond?

Greg.

I don't understand the "unknown" part.

Acts 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4.And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5.And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6.Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

When they spoke everyone, no matter what language or from what nation, understood them.....it was not unknown to them. Therefore I believe that the "unknown" means the language was unknown to the speaker, a language he had never spoken in before.

Shouldn't we be able to understand whatever someone speaking in tongues is saying? Isn't that the point of tongues? When and why has it become something that no one can understand? What am I missing?

Guest Greg Davies

Your answer is I Cor 14:2: You are speaking mysteries to God. A perfect prayer. That's why in Rom. 8:26 it says that even though we don't know what we should pray for as we should, the Spirit insires us with "groanings" which can not be uttered or understood.

God Bless, Greg.

Guest Greg Davies
The workings of the Holy Spirit did not stop after the first century. But, speaking in tongues is only one of the gifts of the Spirit that a person may or may not receive. It is the one gift that people single out as being more important that any others.

<>< ><>

Nathele

You will notice that in I Cor. 12:10 where the gift of tongues is listed as one of the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit, there is the term "divers kinds" in the KJV. The greek word here is genos. You will find that this means a known tongue. An example of this gift operating is found in Acts 2:6-12.

The "unknown" tongue described in I Cor 14 is decidedly different because in verse 2 it plainly says that "no man understands".

So you are correct as far as the "genos" tongue concerned, but there is the "unknown" tongue also and the scripture teaches us that all should speak it.

Greg.