IGNORED

Is tongues necessary?

Guest Greg Davies

Guest Greg Davies
I would say tongues are necessary. They help the chewing process, helps you talk. We need it to taste. It has been said that the tongue is the strongest muscle in the body.

So yeah tongues are necessary. :huh:

Wise guy! :24:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/21/1963

I understand, brother. :huh:

Well, I am sure you have heard the hersey about.. "if you don't speak in tongues.. you don't have the Holy Spirit.. and thus you are not saved." ... as they reason that speaking in tongues is the least of all the gifts and thus everybody saved should be able to do so as evident that you have the Holy Ghost. I'm sure you can see how that would generate the opposition to be totally against it. I have heard of it...been confronted with that hersey in my travel through life... even on the internet! But I don't believe I am angry at those that speak in tongues. I am just declaring that I have not seen it used properly yet, but for all intents and purposes, I believe tongues are unneccassary when the King James Bible is available. Can any more edification be had through tongues that cannot be found in the Bible? Would it not be easier for the Lord to lead that person to the scriptures he or she needs to read in regards to the faith than resort to tongues and an interpretor?

Mayhap a thread on the proper use of tongues and how it has been edifying your church today is needed to show that the Lord is still using it to edify the church in the knowledge of Him, but it is strange how no one has done it yet... given the signs of the times.

So pardon me for my skepticism. I just don't believe tongues are necessary today. It is the lack of proper usage of the tongues as in lacking an interpretor that has led me to believe that it has ceased... among other reasons, but that is only because I have not seen it used properly yet.

So... how about a game of paper, rock, and scissors? :24:

I am not of the camp that says if you do not speak in tongues, that you do not have the Holy Spirit, and you are not saved. I do not believe that, and I don't see how anyone can even come to that conclusion. I believe in the gift of tongues. I pray in tongues occasionally. It is not a regular occurance. I have been given the interpretation to two different messages given in tongues. I was a big-time skeptic when it came to this, so I view it from a different angle than you do. I once believed that this gift was not for today, but I have seen too much evidence to still believe that. I don't think it is something that is neccesary, and I think it is something that is way over-blown, by both sides, those that believe it and those that do not. Especially some denominations, such as those you mentioned above who weigh people down with guilt and baggage like it is some kind of salvation issue. It is inflated all out of proportion in some cases, both pro and con, and it is often singled out in ways that other abuses within the church are not. That gives one reason to ponder why those who are so opposed to it become some militant and sometimes abusive and insulting in their stance. There are always bad apples in any bunch. What people fail to realize that when it comes to tongues, by and large, most people are just doing what they feel the Lord is leading them to do. It is as simple as that.

I must confess, your last statement there totally lost me. . . :24:

Sorry. I thought that hand game was known by many. The motion that those smileys are doing is similar to playing that game. Both have a hand in a fist and bounce them up three times and then you make a choice of paper which is a flat hand displayed, or keep it in a fist which is a rock or show two fingers to display a scissor. Paper beats rock as rock beats scissor as scissor beats paper. I was making a pun on those smileys doing the emtional high five that looked like they were playing that game. A side humor at the end of my reply. Sorry for the confusion.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

from damo1

high poor in spirit please do not think i am attacking you hear i just want to air some things out on this subject that way no one is being attacked but we are talking on the issue that is raised is tongues necessary i am going over the sight you placed in your post and its pretty freaky to hear what this guy has to say but their is no more back up only what he has researched and the dates given in this web page sort of make me think who has this man been talking to hear has he tried to talk to the Pentecostals has he tried to talk to the Evangelicals and those that do go by 1 Corinthians 14 and the gifts of speaking in tongues as there are churches that use this and some are able to interpret what is said yet speaking for my self i use this for my own use in my home and at our prayer meetings and in church on Sunday threw worship as this is how we are encouraged to step out and use the gifts god has given us instead of ignoring what he wants to pass on to us

see this is wear this guy looses me he says this

the confusion has arisen for this one reason people try to equate the present day ecstatic meaningless gibberish the the miracle language of Pentecost these are two entirely different things the new testament tongues were know understandable interpretable languages brought on by the supernatural working of the holy ghost they appeared suddenly were equally abruptly with drawn and never appeared again after the apostolic era they came under the category of the signs of the apostles

2 Corinthians 12 -12 the sings of the apostles were performed among you with utmost patience sings wonders and works of power

you Will never see these gifts in a dead church poor in spirit and you will never understand unless you have a teach able spirit that mean one that is willing to learn what it means to walk in the gifts that 1 Corinthians 14 talks about

this man that has this link set up on the net fundamental baptists of course they will disagree all the time with what i believe in and hold on to that does not mean i go pulling down the fundamental baptists and every single Baptist church with in around wear i am this would be crazy to do

these gifts are in use wear i live my friend and i can get nearly every one i know to type some thing up on what they have experienced with in the last few weeks or two weeks i can almost be sure to get positive input of gods gifts still active with in the churches in Australia

and for this man to say something like he is stating no wonder this gets in too a heated debate as this man should be showing respect to the brothers and sisters that walk in these gifts and even those that speak in tongues it is sad when Christians feel fear in not speaking in tongues because of this rubbish by saying how do you know what your spirit is saying to god is it your spirit communicating to god or is it the evil spirits speaking and cursing god which is hog wash

if i wear pulling god down by speaking in my natural tongue i think he would have rebuked me or i would have been dealt with by a lightning bolt coming threw my roof and striking me wear i stand

yes i can see also wear you are coming from but because you wear told that by some one who new not what they wear on about does not mean all your other brothers and sisters who speak in tongues have lost it and you should not be afraid to communicate with us i Will not bite you or force my views on you i will still see you as a fellow brother and i will put the hand out this is called showing you respect and walking in unity so at least we are not showing the out side world as those who live out side the church watch us and if they hear or see us arguing on issues like this what is it going to show those non believers ?

just because i decide to be open to the spirits teaching on 1 corinthians 14 and i have a teachable spirit why should it bother some one who has had a bad experiance wear god has not enabled them to walk in that gift ?

why should guys like this have the right to look down on me and say it was only for that time and you know nothing of what happened on Pentecost and you are trying to manipulate us when it is written in plain ink for every single person who picks up the bible and reads it from start to the end

i know of inmates prisoners that have been freed still serving time and are speaking in tongues and are open and have a teach able spirit not one fellow felon that i have met has had anything bad to say but on how they are blown away by the way the holy spirit has opened up the truth of gods living word to them we have one guy who killed a nurse back in the 8o Anita Cobby he is serving life and can not be freed yet this man and Anita's father are in regular communication he forgave the man for killing his daughter and this man has taught him how to walk in the gifts god has given him and he uses these gifts to reach out to the inmates around him he Will never be able to pastor a church as this is what he wants to do and he knows this

this is his own cross he is having to bare he Will never know what its like to settle down with a women yet god is working threw this guy by enabling him to preach and the prisoners that respond are taught nothing but the truth their is no one their to lead them astray or feed them rubbish and when you are around some of these guys it sounds like you are in church on a Sunday but they are behind bars

so i cant see how then some one would say with out the back up that the spirit of god is not moving today 2007 when we are negative and have nothing better to do but question and have a bitter spirit with in how then can a person be open to the truth of gods living word that person is going to against anything that is said to them and is not going to want to repent and ask god to forgive them and this is what hurts me i run in to many like this that are disgruntled and i am glad that the inmates i know have not ran into people like this but are in a place even though its not a nice place and it has not stopped the holy spirit even working in a prison and setting people free i am an x felon my self and it is an x felon who is sharring to you from the xperiances i have had and i have nothing but utter respect and praise for what jesus did for me on the cross and i am thank full for the holy spirit and i never greive hold back from what the holy spirit is trying to show me

i love you as a brother yet i wanted to point out my own personal experiances and show you that at least i had a read of the link you left in your post

i hope you have a good night and a good sunday

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I am not of the camp that says if you do not speak in tongues, that you do not have the Holy Spirit, and you are not saved. I do not believe that, and I don't see how anyone can even come to that conclusion. I believe in the gift of tongues. I pray in tongues occasionally. It is not a regular occurance. I have been given the interpretation to two different messages given in tongues. I was a big-time skeptic when it came to this, so I view it from a different angle than you do. I once believed that this gift was not for today, but I have seen too much evidence to still believe that. I don't think it is something that is neccesary, and I think it is something that is way over-blown, by both sides, those that believe it and those that do not. Especially some denominations, such as those you mentioned above who weigh people down with guilt and baggage like it is some kind of salvation issue. It is inflated all out of proportion in some cases, both pro and con, and it is often singled out in ways that other abuses within the church are not. That gives one reason to ponder why those who are so opposed to it become some militant and sometimes abusive and insulting in their stance. There are always bad apples in any bunch. What people fail to realize that when it comes to tongues, by and large, most people are just doing what they feel the Lord is leading them to do. It is as simple as that.

I must confess, your last statement there totally lost me. . . :)

im curious and will respect your answer but tell me how tongues works for you.

what do you say? who do you tell it to?

what is the message? please paint the scenario.

Hi damo1,

please do not think i am attacking you hear i just want to air some things out on this subject

Okay.

this man that has this link set up on the net fundamental baptists of course they will disagree all the time with what i believe in and hold on to that does not mean i go pulling down the fundamental baptists and every single Baptist church with in around wear i am this would be crazy to do

I took the liberty of switching your statements around so that you may see how you do pull others down without meaning to. Look at how you pull down a church in your next statement below just because they do not have speaking in tongues.

you Will never see these gifts in a dead church poor in spirit and you will never understand unless you have a teach able spirit that mean one that is willing to learn what it means to walk in the gifts that 1 Corinthians 14 talks about

The problem here is that proclaiming a dead church just because they do not speak in tongues is like saying one needs more than just faith in Jesus Christ and His Words, but tongues with interpretations has always been done to declare the faith in Christ Jesus through His Words, thus this leads to the topic started by another poster, "Is tongues necessary?"

these gifts are in use wear i live my friend and i can get nearly every one i know to type some thing up on what they have experienced with in the last few weeks or two weeks i can almost be sure to get positive input of gods gifts still active with in the churches in Australia

Well, that would be good to see on what the Lord would share with us to edify the church in the knowledge of Him that we could not get from His Words in the Bible. Understand that like in everything, one has to discern what is shared with the KJV Bible.

and for this man to say something like he is stating no wonder this gets in too a heated debate as this man should be showing respect to the brothers and sisters that walk in these gifts and even those that speak in tongues it is sad when Christians feel fear in not speaking in tongues because of this rubbish by saying how do you know what your spirit is saying to god is it your spirit communicating to god or is it the evil spirits speaking and cursing god which is hog wash

But only you would know that. And by your own words above, you can see how those that do not have the gifts would be in extreme opposition for being declared a dead church for not speaking in tongues, thus I would have to wonder from whence the first offense has come?

if i wear pulling god down by speaking in my natural tongue i think he would have rebuked me or i would have been dealt with by a lightning bolt coming threw my roof and striking me wear i stand

I wish it would be that way, ( not that I want any harm to come to you) but it is written that we are to consider what we say and how. To just say anything is to show a disregard to the warning about idle words. And most important of all we have the KJV Bible to guide us as well for discernment.

Matthew 12: 35A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

yes i can see also wear you are coming from but because you wear told that by some one who new not what they wear on about does not mean all your other brothers and sisters who speak in tongues have lost it and you should not be afraid to communicate with us i Will not bite you or force my views on you i will still see you as a fellow brother and i will put the hand out this is called showing you respect and walking in unity so at least we are not showing the out side world as those who live out side the church watch us and if they hear or see us arguing on issues like this what is it going to show those non believers ?

Like I said, I don't believe you mean to, but you did "bite" by saying I will never see tongues spoken in a dead church. I know you are my brother. I forgive you, but this is how the topic divides when it exalts believers that do speak in tongues over others that don't.

just because i decide to be open to the spirits teaching on 1 corinthians 14 and i have a teachable spirit why should it bother some one who has had a bad experiance wear god has not enabled them to walk in that gift ?

Maybe to warn those reading that don't speak in tongues so that when they seek it among those that do speak in tongues, and find they still don't have the gift no matter how much they want it or prayed for it, it doesn't mean they are a part of a dead church. No one should feel like they are further away from the Lord because of it when He dwells in us by faith as promised from the risen & ascended Saviour.

why should guys like this have the right to look down on me and say it was only for that time and you know nothing of what happened on Pentecost and you are trying to manipulate us when it is written in plain ink for every single person who picks up the bible and reads it from start to the end

If you know you have it... fine. But I can see why a guy like that would say it to ease the fear generated by those that do not have it since in all respect the use of it in the early church days and the necessity for the tongues seem to be unwarranted in light of the KJV Bible.

I love you as a brother too. And thanks for sharing your own personal experiences and what you thought of the link. I hope my pointing out several points in your statements has not angered you at all, but merely showing how one can say things that causes the other side to tear down as well.

As for me, I know from my own persoanl experiences that I have not seen tongues used properly yet. And I have been exposed to quite a few.

One time, I was in a Bible Study group associated when I was in high school, and this member there has a brother in Maranatha: an on-campus ministry. This member brought along a few others to visit the service at this member's brother's campus. They were all focussed on the Holy Spirit, praying for another anointing and stuff. That member was hyped up on it. He and one of the few that went with him talked about how great that service was at the next Bible Study meeting. Then his brother came to visit the Bible Study one time when he was in town. I asked for healing because I am deaf in my left ear and have tinnitus in the right ear which is a constant ringing in the ear. After several attempts of healing, I asked him in front of everyone why I was not healed. This brother announced that I was accursed. Suddenly the light in the eyes of the member of that brother and everybody in that Bible Study went out. The Lord exposed him and as time went on, the member of that brother reported his brother dropping his major to be a servant to this ministry. It was also reported that he was giving everything he had to it. Soon, the parents of that member had hired two men to kidnap the brother and unbrainwashed him to set him free. And soon he was free.

And yes.. there was speaking in tongues at Maranatha too. It has made me wonder if they were really speaking in tongues, what could the Lord be saying that is not found in the Bible to edify the church in the knowledge of Him? And yet, By His Words, I have discerned that the Holy Spirit is not the focus in the worship place since He seeks to point to, testify of and glorify Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit shall never serve as a distraction as speaking in tongues serve to edify the church with an interpretor.. all done to testify of Jesus Christ and to edify in the knowledge of Him so that our love may abound yet more and more... towards Him.. not the gift. Nothing should distract us from seeking His face and I know the indwelling Holy Spirit will not distract anyone from seeking His face.... but wayward people would distract by pointing to something else in His name... and glorify that.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, but of course, I am unconvinced still that tongues are necessary at all now.

Edited by poorinspirit

from damo1

to poor in spirit

by switching around what i have said in my main points it showed me that you did not hear what i was saying to you and its not just by what i read in what you switched around the kings James is not the only bible that says what is printed in ink on this issue alone i have the niv and the new spirit filled open bible and as i said one needs to have a teach able spirit and just cant go in on his own thinking and on his own bad experiences by you switching what i had stated it showed me that you are not showing me any respect as i had tried to show you respect as a fellow brother in the lord and why would one want to un brain wash some one to the point of having them kidnapped what will god say to those on judgment day if we say wear to kidnap all that talked in tongues and try to get them to think your way and what this guy from the fundamental baptists is saying that tongues was only for that time

i meant what i said when we hold on to bitter ness or have had bad experiences how then can gods holy spirit correct what one has experienced if he is just going to look down on those that do speak in tongues

this is what gets to me and i stated my points and i had shared my experiences which have all been very positive and have nothing negative to say on 1 Corinthians 14 and to this day i will say that speaking in tongues is for those that want the gift i am with in no right to stop any one wanting to walk in this gift that is given

if you feel that some one needs to take 1 Corinthians 14 out of the bible and people are to only read from the kings James bible only than write a letter to those that publish the bible and tell them to please not print out any more bibles but only print out the kings James version yes i too had read the kings James version this was the first book given to me when i came out of jail and i had the old kings James which i had to get the new international version as i found it hard to understand the old kings James version

when i read gods word which i said sets us free i do not twist it to suit my self and only read what i want to Read and ignore everything else

so i am a little up set that you tried to turn around what i was pointing out to you from my own personal experiences and please do not try to twist what i say so as if i will line up with what you have pointed out in the post you left me

i know if i was that mans best friend i would not have allowed him to be kidnapped or unbrain washed so he can come back to normal thinking because several did not agree to what he was saying

i feel on judgment day my friend that god is going to deal with those that did this and then we will see weather it was right for any one to ignore and just have every one to come to one agrement and say it out loud and clear that speaking in tongues is not for the church today yet this is foolishness to think like this

i am not going to say to my 10 yr old boy who is just about to turn 11 that speaking in tongues is not of god and he is not to seek it because others disagree on what 1 Corinthians 14 say he is going to get taught the way i was taught and that is to allow the holy spirit to lead him threw gods word and allow the holy spirit to open him up to gods living word and if i hear that some one is trying to correct even my son i will rebuke them in love and then i will challenge them as a father i am with in my rights to do this as i want my son to be bought up in a godly way and he is being bought up in a godly way and he is going to be the man that he is meant to be my son is talking too me on this issue and i am being very open with him on this issue and i will not twist gods word around and tell him what i only want him too hear

speaking in tongues should not be looked down on by any one but you need to be at a point in your own walk wear you have a teach able spirit and are open to allowing the holy spirit to speak some s

from damo1

high poor in spirit

i am going to give you some things to think about and i ask that you go over what i say as i said in my other post the same Jesus that forgave you for your sins when you repented and asked him into your life is the same Jesus that i repented to when i came out of jail in 1988 and i even said the sinners prayer and i asked Jesus to forgive me

we have sevral family's in our church from the baptist church hear wear i live their was a big split in 1998 as the main baptist pastor that took over the church started to tell every member in the church that he wants each and every single person to renounce before him the gift of speaking in tongues when he had said why he believed that the gift of speaking in tongues is not for the church today about 13 family's left the church as these family's wear open to gods word and wear even asking the holy spirit to open up the living word to them and were meeting with the people from my church and they wear encouraged to allow the spirit to teach them

was it right for this pastor to say what he said or should this pastor that took over the baptist church shown some respect to those 13 family's that wear open to the subject we are discussing on is tongues necessary ? for the church today in the town i live in we have two baptist church one in north side who are more old and traditional like the fundamentalists in all parts of the world and hear wear i am on south side their are the more penticostal charasmatic ones in the south side church their are over 250 baptists in the north side church their are only 4o as the rest ended up leaving and beoming appart of the south side baptist church that does not look down on no one

it seems to me that fundamental baptists think that god has given them a mission to reach out to every single Christian that speaks in tongues and convert them or as i read in the post you left me try to correct or unbrian wash guys like my self and make us feel bad for speaking in tongues i do not do this i show respect and only speak up if i have to say something and as i said when god speaks clear to me and he him self tell me to repent i wil but i am not going to stop speaking in my god given gift that is freely mine and i am with in my rights to walk in this gift just as you are in your rights to belive and hold on to what you belive in and say you feel it is not for us to speak in tongues

1 Corinthians 12

Now concerning spiritual gifts brothers i do not want you to be ignorant

2 you know that you were gentiles carried away with to these dumb idols how ever you were led

3 Therefore i make known to you that no one speaking by the spirit of god calls Jesus accursed and no one can say that Jesus is lord except by the holy spirit

1 Corinthians 12 -10

to another the working of miracles to another prophecy to another discerning of spirits to another different kinds of tongues to another the interpretation of tongues

the gift of tongues holly spirit fullness the bible clearly teaches both public and private exercises and benefits of the gift of tongues first the gift of tongues with the gift of interpretation of tongues is at equivalent in value to the gift of prophet 1 Corinthians 14 = 5 i wish you all spoke in tongues but even more that you prophesied for he who prophesies is greater then he than he who speaks with tongues unless indeed he interprets that the church may receive edification

when accepted with in a congregations life this public exercise of the gift is always OT be interpreted so all may receive the message and confusion or misunderstanding of guests be avoided 1 Corinthians 6-13 food for the stomach and the stomach for food but god Will destroy both it and them now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the lord and the lord for the body Corinthians 6--14 and god both raised up the lord and will also raise us up by his power

this expression of tongues clearly contrasts with the second the private devotional exercise of speaking with tongues which some refer to as a prayer language devotionally applied

1 the speaker may not know what he or she is saying though the bile teaches that they can be sure to whom they are speaking to god 2 prise to god is often expressed acts 2-11 Cretans and Arabs we hear them speaking in our tongues the wonder fall work of god 3 and discerning prayer may be enabled 1 Corinthians 14-15 what is the conclusion then i will pray with with the spirit and i Will also pray with the understanding i will sing with the spirit and i will also sing with the understanding 1 Corinthians 14 -16 other wise if i bless with the spirit how Will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say amen at your giving of thanks since he does not understand what you say

i did not walk in on this blind i did a lot of reading before i got baptized i even talked to several including my spiritual mentors and then i did a bit more reading on the gift of tongues and as i said when i got baptized no one prayed for me to have this but i was told by my pastor and by my spiritual mentors who took me into their home that if god gives you this gift do not reject this as this is of god not of the devil he is given you aid and the holy spirit with in Will help you to communicate to your father in heaven when you feel like you can not pray and their have been days when i did not want to pray and when i begin to do as i pointed out to you in what i left for you to read this helps me i pray in tongues i sing in tongues i have my guitar next to me as i Will sing several worship songs threw the week that i play in church on Sunday before i even step foot out the door and face the real world i do not live in a box or a bubble or in a fantasy world as i know living in the real world the enemy loves to trip us up and by doing this for an hour or even 2 hrs by me getting up early it helps me face the day

Colossi ans 1

8 who also declared to us love in the spirit

9 for this reason we also since the day we heard it do not cease to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding

10 that you may walk worthy of the lord fully pleasing him being fruit full in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of god

11 strengthened with all might according to his glorious power for all patience and long suffering

13 he has delivered us from the power of darkens and conveyed us into the kingdom of the son of his love

colossi ans has a single explicate reference to the holy spirit in association with love some scholars also understand wisdom and spiritual understanding of the gifts of the spirit for Paul the lord ship of Christ in the believers life is the most crucial and clearest evidence of the spirits presence

i just do not read what i only want to hear and ignore the rest as this is not the way i was taught to read the bible i did not even teach my own son to do this when he is stuck he rings me and we talk he read the way i have taught him and does not read what he wants to read and leave what he does not want to read alone my son is very open to the spirits teaching we prayed over him when he was in my wifes womb i played Christian music while he was in my stomach and when he was born we thanked god for our son and our pastor and his wife wear even their and prayed over Ethan at the age of 2 my son was down the front with me threw worship and he would lift his hands to praise god some would even say a child should not be doing this

this is how my son has been raised before he would go to bed i would pray with him and when he rings me on the Ph i pray with him just before our conversation ends as my son lives with his mother god has his hands on my son and my son is going to be a mighty man in god just like me and not once has he shut the door on the holy spirit my friend or had anything negative to say

he hangs around positive people an old saying when we hang around negative people we become negative our selves and its the same with what we read in gods word we only want to hear what we allow our selves to hear

i have shared again and i ask poor in spirit that you do not change a thing in what i have written hear

no one should have the right to ram anything down any ones throat us Pentecostals and charismatics do not go bashing people over the head who do not seek the gift of tongues and i ask that you try to not unbarring wash me to come to your terms of thinking as i Will not do this i Will share with you but i Will not force my views on you that is not who i am as a person

i am stil your brother in the lord i am showing you that i respect you for your views i ask you show the same

have a good day

from damo1

high poor in spirit

i am going to give you some things to think about and i ask that you go over what i say as i said in my other post the same Jesus that forgave you for your sins when you repented and asked him into your life is the same Jesus that i repented to when i came out of jail in 1988 and i even said the sinners prayer and i asked Jesus to forgive me

we have sevral family's in our church from the baptist church hear wear i live their was a big split in 1998 as the main baptist pastor that took over the church started to tell every member in the church that he wants each and every single person to renounce before him the gift of speaking in tongues when he had said why he believed that the gift of speaking in tongues is not for the church today about 13 family's left the church as these family's wear open to gods word and wear even asking the holy spirit to open up the living word to them and were meeting with the people from my church and they wear encouraged to allow the spirit to teach them

was it right for this pastor to say what he said or should this pastor that took over the baptist church shown some respect to those 13 family's that wear open to the subject we are discussing on is tongues necessary ? for the church today in the town i live in we have two baptist church one in north side who are more old and traditional like the fundamentalists in all parts of the world and hear wear i am on south side their are the more penticostal charasmatic ones in the south side church their are over 250 baptists in the north side church their are only 4o as the rest ended up leaving and beoming appart of the south side baptist church that does not look down on no one

it seems to me that fundamental baptists think that god has given them a mission to reach out to every single Christian that speaks in tongues and convert them or as i read in the post you left me try to correct or unbrian wash guys like my self and make us feel bad for speaking in tongues i do not do this i show respect and only speak up if i have to say something and as i said when god speaks clear to me and he him self tell me to repent i wil but i am not going to stop speaking in my god given gift that is freely mine and i am with in my rights to walk in this gift just as you are in your rights to belive and hold on to what you belive in and say you feel it is not for us to speak in tongues

1 Corinthians 12

Now concerning spiritual gifts brothers i do not want you to be ignorant

2 you know that you were gentiles carried away with to these dumb idols how ever you were led

3 Therefore i make known to you that no one speaking by the spirit of god calls Jesus accursed and no one can say that Jesus is lord except by the holy spirit

1 Corinthians 12 -10

to another the working of miracles to another prophecy to another discerning of spirits to another different kinds of tongues to another the interpretation of tongues

the gift of tongues holly spirit fullness the bible clearly teaches both public and private exercises and benefits of the gift of tongues first the gift of tongues with the gift of interpretation of tongues is at equivalent in value to the gift of prophecy 1 Corinthians 14 = 5 i wish you all spoke in tongues but even more that you prophesied for he who prophesies is greater then he than he who speaks with tongues unless indeed he interprets that the church may receive edification

when accepted with in a congregations life this public exercise of the gift is always to be interpreted so all may receive the message and confusion or misunderstanding of guests be avoided 1 Corinthians 6-13 food for the stomach and the stomach for food but god Will destroy both it and them now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the lord and the lord for the body Corinthians 6--14 and god both raised up the lord and will also raise us up by his power

this expression of tongues clearly contrasts with the second the private devotional exercise of speaking with tongues which some refer to as a prayer language devotionally applied

1 the speaker may not know what he or she is saying though the bile teaches that they can be sure to whom they are speaking to god 2 praise to god is often expressed acts 2-11 Cretans and Arabs we hear them speaking in our tongues the wonder fall work of god 3 and discerning prayer may be enabled 1 Corinthians 14-15 what is the conclusion then i will pray with with the spirit and i Will also pray with the understanding i will sing with the spirit and i will also sing with the understanding 1 Corinthians 14 -16 other wise if i bless with the spirit how Will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say amen at your giving of thanks since he does not understand what you say

i did not walk in on this blind i did a lot of reading before i got baptized i even talked to several including my spiritual mentors and then i did a bit more reading on the gift of tongues and as i said when i got baptized no one prayed for me to have this but i was told by my pastor and by my spiritual mentors who took me into their home that if god gives you this gift do not reject this as this is of god not of the devil he is given you aid and the holy spirit with in Will help you to communicate to your father in heaven when you feel like you can not pray and their have been days when i did not want to pray and when i begin to do as i pointed out to you in what i left for you to read this helps me i pray in tongues i sing in tongues i have my guitar next to me as i Will sing several worship songs threw the week that i play in church on Sunday before i even step foot out the door and face the real world i do not live in a box or a bubble or in a fantasy world as i know living in the real world the enemy loves to trip us up and by doing this for an hour or even 2 hrs by me getting up early it helps me face the day

Colossi ans 1

8 who also declared to us love in the spirit

9 for this reason we also since the day we heard it do not cease to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding

10 that you may walk worthy of the lord fully pleasing him being fruit full in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of god

11 strengthened with all might according to his glorious power for all patience and long suffering

13 he has delivered us from the power of darkens and conveyed us into the kingdom of the son of his love

colossi ans has a single explicate reference to the holy spirit in association with love some scholars also understand wisdom and spiritual understanding of the gifts of the spirit for Paul the lord ship of Christ in the believers life is the most crucial and clearest evidence of the spirits presence

i just do not read what i only want to hear and ignore the rest as this is not the way i was taught to read the bible i did not even teach my own son to do this when he is stuck he rings me and we talk he reads the way i have taught him and does not read what he wants to read and leave what he does not want to read alone my son is very open to the spirits teaching we prayed over him when he was in my wifes womb i played Christian music while he was in my wifes stomach and when he was born we thanked god for our son and our pastor and his wife wear even their and prayed over Ethan at the age of 2 my son was down the front with me threw worship and he would lift his hands to praise god some would even say a child should not be doing this

this is how my son has been raised before he would go to bed i would pray with him and when he rings me on the Ph i pray with him just before our conversation ends as my son lives with his mother god has his hands on my son and my son is going to be a mighty man in god just like me and not once has he shut the door on the holy spirit my friend or had anything negative to say

he hangs around positive people an old saying when we hang around negative people we become negative our selves and its the same with what we read in gods word we only want to hear what we allow our selves to hear

i have shared again and i ask poor in spirit that you do not change a thing in what i have written hear

no one should have the right to ram anything down any ones throat us Pentecostals and charismatics do not go bashing people over the head who do not seek the gift of tongues and i ask that you try to not unbrain wash me to come to your terms of thinking as i Will not do this i Will share with you but i Will not force my views on you that is not who i am as a person

i am stil your brother in the lord i am showing you that i respect you for your views i ask you show the same

have a good day

to the op or mod can you leave this one as i noticed i made a mistake and i wanted this to be clear to read i am sorry for the error and i would be great ful if the other one i left can be deleted

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

im curious and will respect your answer but tell me how tongues works for you.

what do you say? who do you tell it to?

what is the message? please paint the scenario.

Why are you curious? You've made it abundantly clear, in this thread and others, that not only do you not believe tongues still operate, you pretty much say that anyone who says they practice this gift is an idiot, a whack job, or they are really not experiencing what they are experiencing, and you make sure you do it with a superior, condecending attitude. The unbelief I can handle. The sarcastic attitude? I can do without that.

If you'd shown some decorum in your contributions on this subject, instead of constantly mocking people who believe in this, I would share my experiences with you, but I really have no wish to make myself fodder for further ridicule. You can deride it all you want. What you can't do is disprove peoples testimonies.

when you said "I don't think it is something that is neccesary, and I think it is something that is way over-blown, by both sides, those that believe it and those that do not. " well, i want to know what is the way that it should be done.

in all seriousness.

if you describe it to me i wont even respond. i just want to know from a person who is "pro-tongues" what is the proper method.

when you said "I don't think it is something that is neccesary, and I think it is something that is way over-blown, by both sides, those that believe it and those that do not. " well, i want to know what is the way that it should be done. in all seriousness. if you describe it to me i wont even respond. i just want to know from a person who is "pro-tongues" what is the proper method.

1 Corinthians 14: 27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. 34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. 36What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? 37If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. 38But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. 39Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. 40Let all things be done decently and in order.

I know what you mean. I do take the stance that tongues have ceased, because I have not seen it used properly yet for the here and now since we have the KJV Bible. Everybody can rise to the defense of tongues, but the whole point of tongues is to edify the church in the knowledge of Him so that our love may abound yet more and more. Verse 39 declares forbid not to speak with tongues, but yet at the same time, the Corinthian church has been given instructions on when to be silent and the proper order of things in the assembly... so for those that use that verse to just do whatever is out of the will of God.

What bothers me is how the subject of speaking in tongues to be more valued than prophesying. If I had the gift of speaking in tongues, I'd be hoping somebody would prophesy so that others may be edified because that is the greater gift. For all those out there that are seeking the gift of speaking in tongues, how is it that those that speak in tongues do not encourage them to seek to prophesy instead?

1 Corinthians 14: 1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. 6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? 7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? 8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? 9So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. 10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. 11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. 12Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. 13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? 17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

But I have picked up other errors in some of the speeches of those that defend its usage today, but I doubt they will hear me let alone His Words for correction. Strange how defending speaking in tongues is the good fight for some or treating it on the same level as the gospel when the first time it happened at Pentecoste, it was to declare the Gospel in foreign languages to Jewish visitors that were from foreign countries. I mean, really. I don't see the Jeewish visitors being affected by that in saying... wow.. I want to be able to speak in foreign language immediately also. The means did not impress them so much that they did not heed the Message...and that is what the Lord was conveying through the Holy Spirit in the believers.

1 Corinthians 14: 21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

And yet for a church filled with believers with no one coming in from the outside... they all speak in tongues thus when it comes down to His Word, they bring up prayer language as a practise for the assembly. Now why didn't they think of that back when Paul was correcting the Corinthian churches? Because on that chance that someone should come in... they would think they were all mad.

But hey... there is always the possibility that there is still speaking in tongues in use today... just not being done properly yet. I don't see the necessity for it when the gift of prophesy is the one everyone should be seeking over the gift of tongues. With the KJV Bible, I don't see what the Lord would edify in the knowledge of Him that we could not get from reading His Words. I don't consider myself being hostile about this issue for if I did speak in tongues, and somebody didn't, and they looked at me with skepticism, I would understand being how there is no interpretor present for them to be edified by... in which case.. if I was in an assembly, and there be no interpretor, I'd be silent. But I would rather seek the gift of prophesy than the gift of speaking in tongues. Preaching the Gospel is what those gifts are intended for.