IGNORED

The Great Whore of the Revelation (chp 18)

kittylover0991

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hey everyone,

The other question is what is the great whore of the Revelation? I have a theory that many others also have that says that the Catholic "church" is the great whore of Revelation chapter 18, which does seem to fit the criteria pretty well considering "mystery" is another name for the sacrements, it is pretty wealthy (as many other religions are that go against doctrines of the Bible), it has a well-known and definitly accepted history of killing and persecuting Christians who opposed the beliefs of the Catholic "church", etc.

That has possibly been discussed to no-end, which is alright, we all have different interpretations of God's Word, even though the Bible says that there is only one true interpretation of it. However, I was in my Revelation class last night and the thought came "Could Islam in fact be the "great whore". Now, to say that the great whore is only the Catholic church is probably limiting that particular aspect in Scripture, and I've heard some say that it is possibly the Mormon cult, or any other cult, but I'm wondering if it coudl possibly be Islam also.

Any thoughts?

Crystal

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

so far, i believe that the great whore is the world system - the powers and principalities if you will.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

so far, i believe that the great whore is the world system - the powers and principalities if you will.

World system? Inclusive and Exclusive of what?

That's an idea for sure :whistling:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I am reluctant to put too many certainties behind any interpretation of what is spoken in Revelation.

But some things to consider in what you are looking for:

Why do the merchants of the earth and the sea captains mourn her death if she is the Catholic Church?

Also, why is she called "Babylon the Great"?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Babylon is spoken of as a Mystery.

To understand the Mystery of Christ's incarnation, the Mystery of the Kingdom of Heaven, the Mystery of Christ's Church being a Bride, etc........

We must have a Revelation. That Revelation is literally a revealing or unveiling through the lens of God. Our focus much change and we must be given eyesight to see.

That said there is a revelation of Mystery Babylon eventually and then God destroys her. However, first He calls His own out from amongst her. There are many times in the Word and many dispositions whereby God has called His own out from amongst the world.

I particularly think of Noah at this time.

Think about the revelation of Christ and of what was behind that purpose and then think about anything opposed to that.

That might give you a start. :whistling:

Peace,

Dave

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

I do believe the great whore of revelation is the catholic church,I know,I know,that is not politicly correct to say and many are going to be angry because I said it.But it is my opinion,now lynch me if you want to.:rolleyes:

onwings,

I have heard that many times, however, I then would have to refer you to Nebula's question.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

It makes the most sense to me as the entire false religious system=false religion, which is the same type of false religious system that ruled the Babylonian mystery schools. They made up gods and made themselves gods, with a small g and the people worshipped them and the world trade and monetery system has relations with her, but this is not God's true bride, she is a harlot.

Guest Guardian Angel

This talk of the Catholic church being the whore of revelation makes me sick. I have known many Catholics, and many others of other beliefs. Of them, the Catholics are the only ones that do not teach against other religions. I wonder if this is maybe that Catholics have nothing to hide. They are not trying to create their own belief system, they are not going by the dictations of lay people as voted in, but rather, that of people that have devoted their life to God.

I am not trying to "lynch" anyone, but you might actually look into what the faith really believes before you discredit it. Someone mentioned the killings, remember during those times the church officials were imposed by the kings, and not necessarily the church. Those persecutions were typically done under pressure from the kings rather than by the initiative of the church.

In searching for the right church, I have looked for those who persecute other "Christian" Faiths. It strikes me as ignorant, and if they are having these ignorance problems, than how can they help me to understand the "one True Interpretation?" Remember that they are Christian too, so by persecuting Catholics, you yourself are persecuting Christians.

While I have tried to learn as much as I can about all religions so I could make an informed decision as to which faith to claim, and at the same time I can understand where others come from, I must admit, I do not have enough knowledge of Mormons or Islam to talk about them, or defend them intelligently. I would like to see some insight on this from a Mormon's view and from Islam's view....

I do profess to be Christian though, and would like others to be more Christian!

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Ok, I do not want to destroy people's belief systems here, but let us at least RULE OUT the Catholic Church as the Whore of Babylon.

Let's take this wonderful book called the Bible in context:

Revelation 18:4 - "Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues."

Whoever this whore is, we are called to exit from it. Simple enough.

To conclude that this is the Catholic Church however, is to negate what John writes about the whore later on.

Revelation 18:20 - "Rejoice over her, O heaven, O saints and apostles and prophets, for God has given judgment for you against her!"

Revelation 18: 24 - "And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all who have been slain on earth."

These indicate that whoever this whore is persecuted not just Christians, but Apostles and prophets. All Christians would agree that Apostles only lived in the first century, since one of the Apostolic requirements was to see the risen Christ in 1 Corinthians 9.

The Acts of the Apostles shows us that prophets existed in the ancient times and in the first century.

The whore, the persecuter of Apostles and prophets, would have to exist in the first century. The Whore, then cannot be the Catholic run Vatican City, because there WAS no Vatican City. There was only Rome, and Rome was definitely not a Catholic City in the first century AD.

Who is the whore then? Folks can ONLY speculate, but most scholars suggest it is either the Roman empire, which fell in 476, or first century Jerusalem, which fell in 70 AD.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Who was the first pope of the RCC and where did he rule from?