IGNORED

The Great Whore of the Revelation (chp 18)

kittylover0991

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Who was the first pope of the RCC and where did he rule from?

The first Pope was the Apostle Peter, and he practically "ruled" (not a good term) from the underground, illegal Christian Church in the city of Rome.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

The first Pope was the Apostle Peter, and he practically "ruled" (not a good term) from the underground, illegal Christian Church in the city of Rome.

I will never believe that. He was however, the Apostle Paul and he never referred to himself as the pontificate of the RCC. This title has been assigned to him by others.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I will never believe that. He was however, the Apostle Paul and he never referred to himself as the pontificate of the RCC. This title has been assigned to him by others.

Iranaeus, writing in 177 AD referred to the Bishop of Rome as the head of the whole Church and listed the Bishops of Rome up until that time, beginning with the Apostle Peter.

The Bishop of Rome, yes, was later given the title Pope, but his duties have been the same, the head of Christ's Church.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I have personally seen too much about various religions that differ from what I see in the truth of scripture to reconcile various teachings from numerous religions to pin the tail on this one or that one, so it makes the most sense that it is the basic idea behind false religion that is the mystery of babylon the great, which is to make up gods and make oneself god with a small g, which is the spirit of antichrist. Jesus is our high priest forever and through Him we can worship God in Spirit and in Truth, not in harlotry, but as His Bride.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Folks can ONLY speculate, but most scholars suggest it is either the Roman empire, which fell in 476, or first century Jerusalem, which fell in 70 AD.

That can only be true if Rev. 17-18 has been fulfilled and we are now living in the Mellenium. If this is so, then the fulfillment of the Mellenial prophecies are the biggest let-down in all of history. :taped:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I believe the whore of Revelation is unfaithful Israel.

Guest shiloh357

Which is hermeneutically impossible if one bothers to examine the text of Revelation 17. The description of the whore bears no resemblance to modern Israel and in fact, there are no corroborating end time prophecy texts in Scripture that identify Israel with the whore mentioned in Revelation so there is no textual basis upon which you can support your assertion.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I do believe the great whore of revelation is the catholic church,I know,I know,that is not politicly correct to say and many are going to be angry because I said it.But it is my opinion,now lynch me if you want to.:cool:

don't know where you are to lynch you, but hey, these are people you're talking about; not some faceless, nameless entity.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

*** same as answer above *** wow, you guys!

Guest shiloh357

Ah yes, here we go again...

Drunken with blood of saints and martyrs.

Rev 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 6And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

Rev 18:20Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her.

Matthew 23

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

The problem is that Revelation 17:5 is not talking about the prophets in the Old Testament. It is talking about the saints who were martyred under the rule of the Anti-Christ, those who gave their life for their testimony of Christ. Therefore, Mathhew 23 is does not bear at all on Rev. 17:5. Secondly, there is no corroborating Scripture that would support naming Israel as the "mother of harlots and abominations of the earth.

Finely Clothed

Rev 17:4And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

Ezekiel 16

10 I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers' skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk.

11 I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck.

12 And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.

13 Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom.

14 And thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord GOD.

This is just a heremeneutic trainwreck. Ezekiel 16 is a recounting from God about why Israel was in captivity and has nothing to do with any end-time description of Israel.

A Great Whore

Rev 17:2With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

Ezekiel 16

15 But thou didst trust in thine own beauty, and playedst the harlot because of thy renown, and pouredst out thy fornications on every one that passed by; his it was.

16 And of thy garments thou didst take, and deckedst thy high places with divers colours, and playedst the harlot thereupon: the like things shall not come, neither shall it be so.

17 Thou hast also taken thy fair jewels of my gold and of my silver, which I had given thee, and madest to thyself images of men, and didst commit whoredom with them,

Once again, you are taking a passage speaking about Israel prior to the captivity in Babylon and comparing it, out of its original context, to Revelation 17 and you have absolutely no hermeneutic/textual justification. The passages you string together are talking about completely different issues and have no corroborative relationship whatsoever.

Anyone can string a few passages or verses together like lights on a Christmas tree and make the Bible say whatever they want it to say, but it takes skill to handle the Bible is a proper hermeneutic fashion. Your method above is unreliable and demonstrates that you didn't really study the passages out before you put them together.