A Time for Discernment

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

My wife was baptised in what she assumed to be the Holy Spirit about 18 months ago, by the laying on of hands. She spoke in tongues. Since then, she has been under intense demonic attack (both physical and mental) and has gradually gone downhill. She was euphoric at first (it was fairly brief), but she has not experienced the fruits of the Holy Spirit, which include peace, love, and joy (Galatians 5:22-23 and Ephesians 5:9). In the search for truth, I have found the following info. I would appreciate the opinions of others. I hope this information helps someone.  

I have been looking for information on discernment and testing / trying spirits and there seems to be little information available on this topic.  This is something I feel is important, but few pastors teach on this. I want to avoid blasphemy of the Holy Ghost as well as judgement of others, but would like to share a few things which we have read or observed. We are seeking teaching and answers on this very important topic (in these times), but which few talk about.

At places such as the Toronto Blessing, Brownsville Revival, and other places,

• Thumbs Up 1

Brother Biscuit,

May God bless you with the answer to your prayers for your openness and earnest search for truth.

As a new believer you have gotten off to a correct start - studying.

You are absolutely correct, there is a counterfeit "tongues" being given by "another spirit."

Blindseeker,

It was a non-denominational, charismatic church. I don't know if it matters, but I found out later that the pastor was a former Jehovah's Witness. We have been to other spirit-filled churches since (such as a conservative Assemblies of God church that we liked very much) and the original church was fairly loose with scripture  (i.e. liberal laying on of hands and speaking in tongues with no interpreter,etc.).  ???

Brother Biscuit,

I have another question for you, how do you understand II Cor 11:3, and 4?

• 3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
    4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

I'll explain the reason after you submit your answer as I am short of time now.

Peace,

BlindSeeker

Verse 3 seems easy enough, but not sure about verse 4. Was Paul teaching them to beware false gospels or a false spirit which had not been taught?

Verse 3 seems easy enough, but not sure about verse 4. Was Paul teaching them to beware false gospels or a false spirit which had not been taught?

Greetings Biscuit,

It addresses not only false doctrines and other (unholy) spirits, but "another Jesus" as well.

I often ask people how do they know their "Jesus" is the saving Jesus.

Certainly Paul, under the unction of the Holy Spirit alarmed the Christians of Corinth that there not only was "another Jesus,"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I am surprised this thread hasn't taken off...I think it's an excellent question and an interesting situation you and your wife are in right now, Biscuit.

My two bits are this....I believe there is a trinity in the counterfeit as well---The Beast(the father of lies), the Antichrist(the flesh manifestation) and the False Prophet(the "anti-Holy Spirit").

One Accord,

Thank you for your encouraging words and spiritual insight.  :inlove: This has been a trying time for us. The enemy is attacking all three of us (us & my son), but is attacking my wife most of all. There is something either internally or externally that is attacking her and has beat her down. What you said about the counterfeit trinity makes sense ... I have never thought about it that way. I failed to mention this. My wife had 2 blood specimens to disappear after she gave blood at the doctors office...one time was years ago and the other time was about a year ago. I spoke to a pastor who told me that blood comes up missing often from labs and blood banks. He said the blood is stolen and used in rituals. He said someone may have made an unGodly pact or covenant against my wife or my family. That sounds bizarre but may relate to what is happening.  ??? I am seeking a good church in the area which is grounded in truth and which follows the Word. Thanks again. :hmmm:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.94

One reason some folks might avoid this issue is because they don't wish to offend our charismatic brothers/sis.

I will take the risk of becoming most unpopular when I say very respectfully to all that I believe too much emphasis is made on speaking in tongues and other signs.

While there is biblical provision made for this gift,  it is not esteemed as the ultimate  gift.

The greatest gift is love.  

One Accord:  Jesus said we would suffer persecution. IN fact, anyone who wants to live righteously will suffer persecution.

With all due respect, I do not think this is applicable in this case. The attack which has tormented this brother's wife appears to have been  consumated at the time "hands" were laid upon the her.  

Again, I mean no disrespect to your position, OA...I merely differ in what I perceive.

Biscuit: It would seem that the torment your wife has suffered coincides with the laying on of hands, as opposed to blood donations, which appear to have taken place well before this attack commenced.  

I tend to agree with Blindseeker's analysis.

As one member of WB's put it, we are dealing with an enemy (Satan) who's IQ is off-scale.  We're limited in our understanding of how the spirit realm works; we're working with pieces.

I don't know if this helps, but Rebecca Brown, M.D. has written numerous books on topics such as this and has some very interesting insights, which you might find helpful. Her books are often found in Christian bookstores and also can be ordered from Walden's. I prefer her book, "Becoming a Vessel of Honor". It focuses on deliverance and false spirits vs the Holy Spirit.

I am a little wary of some of her material and stress that I do not agree with her in some things. She's pretty hardshell.  

Still,  I was very glad I had read  her books when  faced with the deliverance of an acquaintance with a full blown demonic manifestation.  The Lord equipped me to help him and he was successfully delivered.

I cannot support the position that this event (laying on of hands) was the work of the Holy Spirit. When the disciples of Jesus and those  of the "Way" received the gift of tongues, they were not plagued with these kinds of torments.

Followers of the Way, (Christians in the early church) suffered at the hands of men. They were stoned, chained and imprisoned.

Biscuit's wife appears to have suffered a completely different kind of torment.

Again, no disrespect intended for my beloved brothers who are charismatic but I believe the true evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit is an overwhelming peace as well as  genuine and sincere  love for one another.

In His Love,    Cat    :hmmm:

• Thumbs Up 1