IGNORED

Litmus test for Presidential candidates...Christianity?

Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

We have had longer in the campaign cycle to look at the candidates. I never recall such an early start to the declaring "I am a candidate for the President of the United States". I have had an opportunity to read 2 autobiographical treatments of Barrack Obama and hundreds of opinions pieces on all of the serious contenders. No matter how hard he tries to the contrary, Obama is viewed as a Muslim. although he professes to be Methodist Christian. Clinton is hated by the religious right although she speaks affectionately of a Sunday school teacher in a Methodist church she grew up in. Edwards, as well claims Methodist roots and conservative personal beliefs, but thinks that those should remain personal. He says he has to represent all people and time has arrived for gay rights to be embraced. McCain doesn't wear his faith on his sleeve, in his previous run for office he denounced the religious right as what was arong with the Republican party. Early this time around he spoke at Liberty University twice and received Jerry Falwell's blessings prior to his passing. Gullianni is a liberal Catholic, disagreeing with the vatican on the moral issues of abortion and gay marriage. But, Pat Robertson says he can look past that and give him his coveted endorsement. Romney, is a Mormon and proudly so. In case there is any who doesn't know, this is a false religion and not compatable with Christainity. Fred Thompson, weakly professes faith, but avoids giving any detail. To the point that James Dobson questions if that faith is a determining factor in his politics. Then there is Huckabee, the ordained Southern Baptist minister who felt a calling away from the pulpit to mainstream politics. Wouldn't it seem that this is no brainer for Christians know that this is their candidate. The talking heads of the media both secular and Christian point out that he is not physical conservative at all. They say, "He would betray the party that Reagan revived." So, how much of a litmus test is a person's faith for the qualification of the office of President of the United States of America? Can a Christian vote for a Mormon even though he may be the best choice? This confused voter wants to know...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

I remember a politician saying "I am a Christian but I don't allow it to influence my decisions". :) I wish I could remember which one said it. Chrisitanity is a way of life and if it doesn't influence your decisions, then that leaves a big question mark to my way of thinking.

Things that are important to me are their stand on abortion, homosexuals, upholding the Constitution as written (not as being stretched and reinterpreted by the ACLU and other athiestic groups), our military, defending America, just to name a few of the issues that matter to me. I don't think that a non-Christian could take a Biblical stance on such issues - and it seems very few who claim to be Christians hold the Bible as truth and waiver on any question that might make it clear that they uphold the Bible.

I don't know who I will vote for, but I would rather have a Christian - one who is not ashamed of being a Christian - than any one else.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2

Welcome back, bro.

Personally, I could care less what religion a candidate is. This country is obsessed with the President being a "Christian," yet we continually send men to the Oval Office who claim to be Christians and what good has it done? What is of greater concern to me is whether or not he will uphold the Constitution and ensure my safety and freedoms as an American citizen.

Having said that, my candidate should have a solid moral compass, be a man of honesty and integrity, intelligent and worthy of respect. He should be much smarter than I am.

Yes, I find campaign season generally disappointing.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

It matters alot to me if my president is a Christian but as Marnie pointed out that has turned out as a dissapointment in the past.

That being said I just have a really good feeling about Huckabee and I have felt that from the beginning and I have a very bad feeling about Obama (not bashing :) ) but I just can't put my finger on what it is. Just my intuition I guess. :41:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, as the primaries approach my state, and hopefully by then there will be less choices to have to pick from, I am going to spending a fair amount of prayer time asking the Lord to make clear to me whom He would have me vote for.

Only hearing form the Lord in this can make me feel at peace aobut my vote.

Either way, I am actively praying for "the next president and his staff and cabinet" (in those words) for salvation (if not saved yet), a heart that seeks the Lord, etc.

Anyone want to join me? :)

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2

Anyone want to join me? :)

Here, here. That really is our best hope.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

Gosh, don't they all claim to be Christians??

It is not the claim they make but their track record that makes the difference....

If they are indeed Christians it will show as to how they have stood on issues like abortion and other moral issues...

Corrie Ten Boom's father , in the movie Hiding Place, told her that "a mouse in the cookie jar doesn't not make it a cookie"...

Gosh, don't they all claim to be Christians??

It is not the claim they make but their track record that makes the difference....

If they are indeed Christians it will show as to how they have stood on issues like abortion and other moral issues...

Corrie Ten Boom's father , in the movie Hiding Place, told her that "a mouse in the cookie jar doesn't not make it a cookie"...

The analogy would have been better if he had said "rat" in the cookie jar...oops my cynicism is showing

McCain doesn't wear his faith on his sleeve, in his previous run for office he denounced the religious right as what was arong with the Republican party. Early this time around he spoke at Liberty University twice and received Jerry Falwell's blessings prior to his passing.

Just because a man doesn't "wear his faith on his sleve" doesn't nessarley make him less of a Christian or less driven by his Christian convitions does it? :noidea:

Do you see evidence of Christian conviction? That is an honest question...not merely a challenge

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/12/1978

I would like a strong Christian that is also a strong political leader to be President, but I have not seen that combination in a candidate. We will have to pick from those that are in a position to become President. Trust God, he will lead us and remember which nation we truly belong to.