IGNORED

Litmus test for Presidential candidates...Christianity?

Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,807
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Every citizen has an equal voice, that's the point of democracy. I doubt you'd like living in a country where Christians aren't given an equal voice, and persecuting atheists, Moslems, and so on just causes problems down the road. Creating a them-and-us mentality is never a good idea. Besides, persecuting people for their religion is a a slippery slope. It starts with Christians being given some kind of perks and before the end you're herding Moslems, Jews and anyone else not Christian into death camps. Nice little touch of the Third Reich, right here at home.

But that's my point, David.

I don't want to see everybody being given an equal voice.

Just the other day it was reported that muslims will be allowed to broadcast the call to prayer from mosques all over the city of (Birmingham, I think).

I don't want to see muslims or atheists or witches being given equal status and equal rights to promote their views in my country.

I would ideally like to see them driven out, and their mosques and temples razed to the ground. But that's just me. :thumbsup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/12/1978

Every citizen has an equal voice, that's the point of democracy. I doubt you'd like living in a country where Christians aren't given an equal voice, and persecuting atheists, Moslems, and so on just causes problems down the road. Creating a them-and-us mentality is never a good idea. Besides, persecuting people for their religion is a a slippery slope. It starts with Christians being given some kind of perks and before the end you're herding Moslems, Jews and anyone else not Christian into death camps. Nice little touch of the Third Reich, right here at home.

Just the other day it was reported that muslims will be allowed to broadcast the call to prayer from mosques all over the city of (Birmingham, I think).

I don't want to see muslims or atheists or witches being given equal status and equal rights to promote their views in my country.

I would ideally like to see them driven out, and their mosques and temples razed to the ground. But that's just me. :thumbsup:

:noidea: While I agree that they are teaching the wrong faith, I don't think Jesus wanted us to treat anyone like that.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:thumbsup: While I agree that they are teaching the wrong faith, I don't think Jesus wanted us to treat anyone like that.

Well, in the Old Testament, He wasn't very nice to other religions.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  780
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  04/20/1983

I would ideally like to see them driven out, and their mosques and temples razed to the ground. But that's just me. :rolleyes:

Ok, you get the writ from the Vatican, I'll revive the Knights Templar...

Ok, bad taste, but you get the idea.

Persecuting religious groups is wrong. Christians didn't like it when the Romans did it to them, and Christ taught us to do unto others as we'd have them do unto us, right? Start playing games like that and you're no better than the African Moslems who massacre Christians, or the middle eastern terrorists who blow up bus loads of Jews in Israel. Let's try to show the peace and love of God in our actions, not spit hatred and loathing right back at the hate-mongers.

I would ideally like to see them driven out, and their mosques and temples razed to the ground. But that's just me. :rolleyes:

Persecuting religious groups is wrong. Christians didn't like it when the Romans did it to them, and Christ taught us to do unto others as we'd have them do unto us, right? Start playing games like that and you're no better than the African Moslems who massacre Christians, or the middle eastern terrorists who blow up bus loads of Jews in Israel. Let's try to show the peace and love of God in our actions, not spit hatred and loathing right back at the hate-mongers.

I think you misread me completely, David, as regards my desire and intentions.

Allow me to clarify:

MY MANIFESTO

I wish I was the absolute dictator of this land.

If I was, here are some of the few things that I would do right away:

I would get rid of all muslim places of worship, along with all Hindu temples, TM centres and atheist websites. I would also ban all Darwinian evolutionary teaching from schools, and re-instate morning prayers.

I would afford special protection to Jews (not sure if I would allow Jewish worship in synagogues, or the sacrificing of animals, etc).....I would wait until I was propelled on a wave of popular support (which would give me time to think about such things), before I made a final decision.

Christianity would be the official law of the land. I wouldn't enforce Christian worship. But I wouldn't tolerate any other religion.

I would ensure that all murderers and other violent criminals are locked away, with no privileges. For a length of time that would deter others from following in their path.

All who refused to comply with these laws could go back to their own lands, or face the full wrath of the law.

So..........who will vote for me? :24:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  780
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  04/20/1983

Nobody. You want to drag the UK back into the dark ages. Sorry, I'm sure you believe it's the right thing, but I put on a uniform and swore an oath to protect everyone in this country, Christian or otherwise, and their rights and freedoms. That includes the right to practice their religions free of the threat of persecution - a right you enjoy everyday but want to take from others. As far as I'm concerned, that attitude is no better than what we're seeing from the hardline Islamic fanatics. Or the Nazis, or Stalinist Communists, for that matter.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

We have had longer in the campaign cycle to look at the candidates. I never recall such an early start to the declaring "I am a candidate for the President of the United States". I have had an opportunity to read 2 autobiographical treatments of Barrack Obama and hundreds of opinions pieces on all of the serious contenders. No matter how hard he tries to the contrary, Obama is viewed as a Muslim. although he professes to be Methodist Christian. Clinton is hated by the religious right although she speaks affectionately of a Sunday school teacher in a Methodist church she grew up in. Edwards, as well claims Methodist roots and conservative personal beliefs, but thinks that those should remain personal. He says he has to represent all people and time has arrived for gay rights to be embraced. McCain doesn't wear his faith on his sleeve, in his previous run for office he denounced the religious right as what was arong with the Republican party. Early this time around he spoke at Liberty University twice and received Jerry Falwell's blessings prior to his passing. Gullianni is a liberal Catholic, disagreeing with the vatican on the moral issues of abortion and gay marriage. But, Pat Robertson says he can look past that and give him his coveted endorsement. Romney, is a Mormon and proudly so. In case there is any who doesn't know, this is a false religion and not compatable with Christainity. Fred Thompson, weakly professes faith, but avoids giving any detail. To the point that James Dobson questions if that faith is a determining factor in his politics. Then there is Huckabee, the ordained Southern Baptist minister who felt a calling away from the pulpit to mainstream politics. Wouldn't it seem that this is no brainer for Christians know that this is their candidate. The talking heads of the media both secular and Christian point out that he is not physical conservative at all. They say, "He would betray the party that Reagan revived." So, how much of a litmus test is a person's faith for the qualification of the office of President of the United States of America? Can a Christian vote for a Mormon even though he may be the best choice? This confused voter wants to know...

Not being a Christian alone, although it is a mandatory factor for my vote. But should there be some consideration for the Candidate's track record (what he/she has accomplished thus far) and what about INTELLECT? Things of that nature?

Nobody. You want to drag the UK back into the dark ages. Sorry, I'm sure you believe it's the right thing, but I put on a uniform and swore an oath to protect everyone in this country, Christian or otherwise, and their rights and freedoms. That includes the right to practice their religions free of the threat of persecution - a right you enjoy everyday but want to take from others. As far as I'm concerned, that attitude is no better than what we're seeing from the hardline Islamic fanatics. Or the Nazis, or Stalinist Communists, for that matter.

I think you misread me completely, David, as regards my desire and intentions.

Allow me to clarify:

MY MANIFESTO

I wish I was the absolute dictator of this land.

If I was, here are some of the few things that I would do right away:

I would get rid of all muslim places of worship, along with all Hindu temples, TM centres and atheist websites. I would also ban all Darwinian evolutionary teaching from schools, and re-instate morning prayers.

I would afford special protection to Jews (not sure if I would allow Jewish worship in synagogues, or the sacrificing of animals, etc).....I would wait until I was propelled on a wave of popular support (which would give me time to think about such things), before I made a final decision.

Christianity would be the official law of the land. I wouldn't enforce Christian worship. But I wouldn't tolerate any other religion.

I would ensure that all murderers and other violent criminals are locked away, with no privileges. For a length of time that would deter others from following in their path.

All who refused to comply with these laws could go back to their own lands, or face the full wrath of the law.

So..........who will vote for me? :wub:

You need to find an island and start your own fascist country...cause what you are preaching here is dictatorship.

So I take that as a 'No' to my sweeping dictatorial powers, then...? :thumbsup:

"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not." 2 Peter 2:1-3

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

:)

So I take that as a 'No' to my sweeping dictatorial powers, then...? :thumbsup:

:th_wave::o:24:

Amen!

The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Matthew 22:22

No King Except...

KING Jesus

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God
Revelation 19:15

Even So Come Quickly LORD Jesus Come Quickly

Politics Too Shall Pass But...

His Word Shall Endure Forever

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
Luke 21:33

So Stand Fast

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Romans 5:1-2

Believe

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:9

And Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I don't have a hard and fast Christian litmus test; I will look more for competence, honesty and integrity, and I think right now that is what we need here in the US.

From a Christian perspective I do want someone who will stand up for religious liberty. So often religious liberty today means that every group with the exception of Evangelical Christians are allowed to speak and make their voices heard in the public square.

David is right on persecution, the laws for example in France banning head scarf's for Muslims also banned the wearing of crosses by Christians. We must protect religious liberty and that is what I would look for a President to do as far as religion goes. Currently I support Mike Huckabee not because he is a Christian but because he is honest, has not and will not sell out to the wall street/corporate interests and shares my social values. Also he is the only non-millionaire in the entire race in both parties.