• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

There was a day and time people would say, "I was born a baptist and I will die a baptist" or "I'm methodist through and through" etc... But today people often drift in an out of denominational life and many opt for label free store front churches. This thread is not designed to create conflict or even comparison. I just thought it might be interesting to hear how monogamous or how varied our backgrounds are.

I will start I was raised in the Church of God until I was 12, then my parents returned to their roots in a Southern Church. Upon graduation from high school I left home and began attending a contemporary styled Methodist church. After 3 years I returned to the Southern Baptist church.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i was raised baptist. as i got older and didn't have to follow my parents around, i preferred non-denominational churches and/or bible churches. i'm not sure if bible churches are a denomination of their own or if they're non-denominational bible based.

currently i am a member of a foursquare pentacostal church.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Well, lets see. I was raised in a Methodist church (which merged with United Brethern to become United Methodist). When they took a liberal view of the Bible, I quit going. I was away from attending church for many years - rebelling, but still considered myself a Christian. Finally I felt my need to get back into fellowship and began attending a Church of Christ. My husband accepted Christ there, and I had some issues with some of their doctrine, and as he studied his Bible he began to see the issues that I saw. So, we left their and began attending a Baptist church, then a friend began a home fellowship, which we attended for a while. He was very interested in putting Christians back under the Law, so we quit attending church for a while (small town - not many church options). Then a Calvary Chapel began service in town and we began attending there. Unfortunately, soon afterwards we sold our home in Oregon and moved to Missouri. We began attending a Baptist church (it's hard not to find a Baptist church here!) but found many problems with the structure and teachings there, so we quite going there are are now attending another Baptist church. We do not cling to denominations, but for some reason my husband was moved to join this church. In support of him, I also joined. Are we Baptists? No. I prefer to just be know as Christian. A follower of Christ.

I do like Calvary Chapel's way of teaching the scripture, and really miss that church. Oh well. We are happy where we are attending now.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Guest Anna Grace

I was born and raised in a independent non-denominational church. (Well, really, I was born in the hospital, but you catch my drift. :blink: ) I've attended Pentecostal, Baptist, Lutheran, Disciples of Christ, Mennonite, Messianic, and Charismatic churches. While all have their merits, I somehow continue to drift back to the independent non-denominational church.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Presbycostal. :blink:

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

And from where I live they still say it.. :blink:

Lots of good Baptists around here..

Most of my family go to a great little Baptist Church...

Others , others...

When we lived in Greensfork ,as a small child, the little old lady next door, Mrs. Underhill is the one who told me about salvation..

I do not remember going to church there as we moved when I was 6...

We then lived in Centerville Indiana, and we walked down 3 blocks to the Church of Christ..

(Not my parents...)(found out I can not sing at this church.. :laugh: )

Our neighbors were pentecostal and we went to church with them one time and my dad freaked and we never went back..I loved it.. :blink:

We move to Greensfork...a few miles away...

We walked a mile to the church in town and I do not remember the denomination..

It was a Christian church....

Hee...Hee... I looked it up...

And I was right it was Greensfork Christian Church..Isn't google cool...

Then back to Centerville and back to the Centerville Christian Church..looked it up..its still there 50 years later...

Then to Florida where I went to the Catholic Church for a while but felt the Lord did not want me there..

Then I went to the Presbyterian Church where I met Andrew..I was "church secretary" and he was the

"Choir director" quite funny to us..

Then we did not go to church ..

got into all sorts of trouble..

Then we went to church with the neighbors and a non nondenominational church , pentecostal type and we have gone a pentecostal church since then..

Moved again and again ...

Andrew was part of the Episcopal church until it went Homosexual...

Now he is torn as to what to do...

The Church our son goes to is quite a good Church .(3 of them go there)

The Pastor is really quite a guy and open to the Holy Spirit about gifts of the Spirit..

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  857
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  01/04/1981

Born a Nazarene.

Probably gonna die a Nazarene.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

Born and raised a Presby, although I have some Methodist leanings.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Wow, there is a lot of diversity on this issue. (which is a good thing, by the way)

While I have a lot of family in the United Methodist Church, I've been going to a local Assembly of God Church for quite a while and have really enjoyed it.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

My parents were members of a Presbyterian church when I accepted Christ, so that was my first experience. When I was 14, we moved to OH. and there I joined the United Methodist Church. We moved to NC in 1985 and I joined a Southern Baptist Church. I was a part of the Baptist church for many years but got tired of the endless politics and found a non-denom church that my husband and I loved and really began to grow in Christ for the first time in either of our lives. There were serious doctrinal issues with that church (I now believe that it is a cult) and we actually moved away from the area. Since that time, we've been a part of the Baptist church, AoG and now are involved in a Bapticostal church. We're just thankful that God calls us His children.