• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,004
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1906

The flood crisis in Mackay appears to be easing, allowing authorities to begin assessing the extent of the damage in the north Queensland city.

The weather bureau says the Pioneer River is peaking but flooding in the Mackay region will continue this afternoon as the water drains away.

Earlier today, flood boats evacuated about 200 homes in low-lying areas, after more than 600 milimetres of rain fell on the region in six hours.

The weather bureau says it is the biggest deluge in the region in 90 years.

"We're really close to breaking the highest ever rainfall record," said forecaster Vikash Prasad.

Ken Furdek from the Mackay City Council says the town's disaster coordination centre has received a further 250 calls for help since midday.

"We've got just about every available person that we can on deck at the moment handling those calls," he said.

About 1,000 residents will spend the night at four temporary evacuation centres.

Mop-up begins

For some, the clean-up has already started.

The Mackay Kindergarten and Pre-school backs onto the flooded Pioneer River, and local resident Cherri Savage says there is water everywhere.

"Our kindy has been called off today. The teacher very wisely rang parents and told them not to come in," she said.

"So I came in on spec just to see the situation.

"I'm standing in about a few centimetres of water as I'm speaking on the phone so I've got to commence mopping up I'm afraid."

Emergency Management Queensland (EMQ) spokesman Frank Pagano says there has been extensive damage.

"The challenge is always what's underneath that floodwater and having a better handle in relation to how much damage has happened to key infrastructure and people's homes," he said.

While the Environmental Protection Agency could not confirm reported crocodile sightings in the floodwaters, its spokesman Joe Adair says people should keep an eye out.

"Crocodiles could turn up at unexpected times," he said.

"With the floodwaters, it does disperse them and as they move around looking for a quiet place to get out of floodwaters they might move into people's places and other quieter areas."

Disaster declared

The State Government has declared the Mackay floods a disaster situation.

State Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts says he will travel to Mackay if necessary.

He has praised the effort of local authorities.

"If that's required then I'll certainly go, and discuss that with the Premier," he said.

"At this stage the coordination on the ground, as the executive director indicated, is working very solidly.

"We've established the teams on both sides of the river and also it's receiving support at the state level as well."

Most of the evacuations have been on the northside, but the State Member for Mackay Tim Mulherin says the CBD is also experiencing flooding.

"Parts of Shakespeare Street, Milton Street and Juliet Street have water that's on South Mackay on the southern side of the river," he said.

"Parts of Gordon Street would probably have a foot of water across it.

"So the city of Mackay is isolated. Roads are cut to the north and south."

Mackay's airport is also closed, with the departure lounge and the runway flooded.

Queensland Rail says the torrential rain has cut lines in several places between Rockhampton and Townsville.

Passengers are still stranded on board the 'Sunlander' at Mackay as a bus sent to take them further north cannot reach the flooded city.

Freight services have also been suspended north of Rockhampton, along with coal trains in the Bowen Basin.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,075
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Days Won:  3

:emot-pray: