Sign in to follow this  
angels4u

Did anybody ever used semolina flour?

I bought this flour just to try it, its completely different from the flour I used too, I did make bread from it and it turned out very very nice, its very soft and tasty, I mixed it with unbleached white flour and fermented the yeast a couple of hours before using it. :huh:

Its also nice with fennel in it :whistling:

Did anybody here ever bought it??

I don't believe I have used it yet. I like to bake but have not done so since I stopped attending church. Pastor left and Sunday school teacher moved on. I must go back I know. Anyhow, they serve cookies and coffee between services as a kind of ministy and I would bake cookies and get their feedback. I enjoyed it very much. I always enjoyed the compliments and the awkward faces they would make. :) I need to find some more guinea pi.......I mean......um....volunteers. :P

Shalom,

Semolina cakes are delicious. I have used semolina in making homemade pasta, but I MUCH prefer the whole-grain version rather than the refined and processed semolina. Making homemade pasta with whole-grain durum wheat (which is where semolina is refined from) is a better choice as the durum is an intact whole-grain.

However, for some of the Italian semolina breads and cakes, a mixture of semolina and whole-grain durum wheat flour, that I grind at home.

Shalom,

Semolina cakes are delicious. I have used semolina in making homemade pasta, but I MUCH prefer the whole-grain version rather than the refined and processed semolina. Making homemade pasta with whole-grain durum wheat (which is where semolina is refined from) is a better choice as the durum is an intact whole-grain.

However, for some of the Italian semolina breads and cakes, a mixture of semolina and whole-grain durum wheat flour, that I grind at home.

I bought the flour and you are right its called durum its more yellowish.....would you have a recipe for semolina cakes?

I don't believe I have used it yet. I like to bake but have not done so since I stopped attending church. Pastor left and Sunday school teacher moved on. I must go back I know. Anyhow, they serve cookies and coffee between services as a kind of ministy and I would bake cookies and get their feedback. I enjoyed it very much. I always enjoyed the compliments and the awkward faces they would make. :blink: I need to find some more guinea pi.......I mean......um....volunteers. :laugh:

I stopped attending church and did not feel good about it, it took me a long time to understand God wants us to fellowship with other Christians, there is no perfect church and people are imperfect, I know where you'r coming from, but believe me when you go back to church you will KNOW you did the right thing...:emot-hug:

I don't believe I have used it yet. I like to bake but have not done so since I stopped attending church. Pastor left and Sunday school teacher moved on. I must go back I know. Anyhow, they serve cookies and coffee between services as a kind of ministy and I would bake cookies and get their feedback. I enjoyed it very much. I always enjoyed the compliments and the awkward faces they would make. :blink: I need to find some more guinea pi.......I mean......um....volunteers. :thumbsup:

I stopped attending church and did not feel good about it, it took me a long time to understand God wants us to fellowship with other Christians, there is no perfect church and people are imperfect, I know where you'r coming from, but believe me when you go back to church you will KNOW you did the right thing... :laugh:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm still aprehensive. About a month ago I went to the two churches I frequent, both of which have new pastors, and one pastor was too loud and the other, as luck would have it, just happened to be preaching on Tithing. I will return to the second church and give it a shot but I don't much like pastors that yell into the microphone. The microphone already amplifies a persons voice, and so there is no reason to be loud also. Ya know? I will probably go this Sunday and check it out again.

I don't believe I have used it yet. I like to bake but have not done so since I stopped attending church. Pastor left and Sunday school teacher moved on. I must go back I know. Anyhow, they serve cookies and coffee between services as a kind of ministy and I would bake cookies and get their feedback. I enjoyed it very much. I always enjoyed the compliments and the awkward faces they would make. :emot-pray: I need to find some more guinea pi.......I mean......um....volunteers. :blink:

I stopped attending church and did not feel good about it, it took me a long time to understand God wants us to fellowship with other Christians, there is no perfect church and people are imperfect, I know where you'r coming from, but believe me when you go back to church you will KNOW you did the right thing... :o

Thanks. Yeah, I'm still aprehensive. About a month ago I went to the two churches I frequent, both of which have new pastors, and one pastor was too loud and the other, as luck would have it, just happened to be preaching on Tithing. I will return to the second church and give it a shot but I don't much like pastors that yell into the microphone. The microphone already amplifies a persons voice, and so there is no reason to be loud also. Ya know? I will probably go this Sunday and check it out again.

The most important part for me is to be in Church, in a Bible believing church..................and I don't care about the label, I went to the Church of Scothland and felt home because the sermon was ment for me :o (thats how it felt) I went ones but want to go again, the last 2 Sundays were snowstorm days. :emot-hug:

I think you will be happy after going back :emot-hug:

Shalom Angels,

I googled Semolina cake and found a bunch of recipes.

Here's a classic Itlaian one. There are also Middle Eastern ones.

http://bakinghistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/semolina-cake-torta-di-semolino/

A classic Italian cake with a creamy texture and a nice flavor of almonds and lemon zest

From the original recipe by Pellegrino Artusi

In:

Shalom Angels,

I googled Semolina cake and found a bunch of recipes.

Here's a classic Itlaian one. There are also Middle Eastern ones.

http://bakinghistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/semolina-cake-torta-di-semolino/

A classic Italian cake with a creamy texture and a nice flavor of almonds and lemon zest

From the original recipe by Pellegrino Artusi

In:

I found this recipe for Lemon Semolina Cookies. I love lemon!

Ingredients

Amount Ingredient Preparation 2 each lemons

1/2 pound butter, unsalted

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 each egg

3 cups semolina

1 cup flour, all-purpose

1/4 cup sugar to dust cookies

Directions

Remove the zest, and juice from at least 2 lemons to have 2

tablespoons peel and 1/2 cup juice. Set aside.

Cream the butter, vanilla, sugar and salt.

Add the egg, lemon juice and zest, and beat until just

combined.

Divide dough in half, forming 2 balls.

Wrap balls in plastic and chill for one hour.

Keeping dough refrigerated between steps, roll each ball into a

log 10 1/2 inches long.

It will be about 2 inches in diameter.

Set oven to 325 degrees F.

Cut 1/4 inch slices and lay out on plastic wrap, sprinkle

lightly with sugar, roll lightly with rolling pin to press in sugar (or

use the bottom of a glass for this step).

Lay cookies on unbuttered baking sheet, reforming with fingers

to make nice even rounds.

Chill 10 minutes or until firm.

Bake in the center of the oven about 10 minutes or until surface starts to crack slightly.

(Not big cracks like crinkle cookies get, more like a change of

texture.)

Let cool some before removing from baking sheets.

They are very tender while hot. Will be chewy at first, but will harden as they cool.

Sign in to follow this