• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1974

Hi everyone!

It seems as though I have a question a day!

I am wondering if you think tattoos are sinful? I read a quick line about it in the Old Testament...I wish I could find all these lines that catch my eye. I should mark my Bible!

So many people have them today - do you think it is a sin? I have one - a lotus flower and my kids' names written in Sanskrit - and would love to get more but I don't want to commit a sin knowingly. I got that one last summer before becoming Christian. My husband has tons of tattoos.

I had a dream last night I was going to get a beautiful cross tattoo - and I mean it was BEAUTIFUL. Exactly the one I would get if I were to get another. That's where I got the idea to ask all you knowedgable Christians what you think about tattoos!

Thanks!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

Ummmmmmmm!

No I don't have any - mainly because I don't like them. (Sorry - :) )

I wouldn't however go as far as to say that that they are sinful - I simply don't like them. :taped:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

I would have to say no, they are not sinful.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Tattoos in and of themselves are not in any way sinful.

However, the images that most people typically get (snakes, barely clad women, etc.) are certainly not proper.

• Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

if the tat is in good taste, i think it would be ok.

i'm getting one in a couple of weeks. it will be on my right shoulder. it will be of a cross and will say warrior of christ.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

I have 6 I got before I rededicated my life to Christ and I would not get anymore. First, this is Gods body and he took the time to make it just how He wanted it, I'm not going to grafitti it anymore. Two I think it hinders my witness as a Christian. Third, a couple of my tats cost big bucks and now I feel I would rather give that money to God or something that would help spread the gospel throughout the world. I don't regret any of them and they are not evil, butterflies mostly :emot-hug: but a tattoo is something very worldly and I need to stay out of that world. JMO. :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I don't understand the concept of "permanently" altering the skin that God made? It also seems a bit vain to me, as though you are asking people to notice you. What is the intent behind them? That would be my question.

:emot-hug:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Pearl Butterfly, I agree. Tattoo's aren't really sinful, but they are, in my opinion, following the ways of the world.

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." 1 Corinthians 3:15-17

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" 1 Corinthians 6:19

The word used for temple in these Scriptures is the Greek word "naos" is used. This talks of the "Holy of holies" where God dwelt in the Tabernacle. The Holy Spirit dwells in me - my body is the Holy of holies! To me tatoos are really like putting grafitti on the Temple. There are many ways to defile the temple, and believe me my body hasn't been taken care of perfectly for God, but I can't condone tatoos. They are permanent. Once they are there you've got them for life.

Do I think it is an "unpardonable sin"? No. But I do think it reflects attitude.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/13/1981

I don't know what to think of tatoos. I go to a church where the pastor says we shouldn't have them and then some of the youth have them and got them while attending the church. Plus there are scriptures in the Bible that they refer to tatooing. I personally kind of don't really think it's wrong but then they look a bit worldly.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I have 6 I got before I rededicated my life to Christ and I would not get anymore. First, this is Gods body and he took the time to make it just how He wanted it, I'm not going to grafitti it anymore. Two I think it hinders my witness as a Christian. Third, a couple of my tats cost big bucks and now I feel I would rather give that money to God or something that would help spread the gospel throughout the world. I don't regret any of them and they are not evil, butterflies mostly :emot-hug: but a tattoo is something very worldly and I need to stay out of that world. JMO. :emot-hug:

Could you define "worldly"? Because there are plenty of things that some could consider "worldly" that Christians participate in. For example, "Christian rock, heavy metal, Rap, etc." Rock N' Roll and those other musical forms are all "worldly," and yet they are mainstream in the Christian culture. They are widely accepted and received by Christians without a second thought.