tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  1

How the Word of God is used in regard to Christians and their witness?

I thought it might be profitable to start a thread on "The Word in Witness", that is based upon this verse:

2 Timothy 2:15

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

I would like to be able to examine different verese within Scriptures with regard to the sharing of God's Word.

Is it important to HOW we witness? What does God's Word say about His Word and sharing it? Can you find other passages with regard to testifying, speaking God's Word, etc.? What does the above passage mean to you?

I'll be looking further into this.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

damo1

well after reading this and seeing what i saw when i was in the phillippines and how the lord worked threw me by me totaly depending on the holy spirit is so simple we need to be willing vessels by me saying this if we want to reach out to those around us how far are we willing to go to win a soul over ?

i am not an educated person i do not hold a ba in theology or do i hold a dr in theology all i have is what is in front of me and that is gods living word and the holy spirit as its the holy spirits role to convict a person

for the three weeks i spent in the phillippines with my partner i did a lot of preaching and sharing my personal testimony the harvest is very ripe in the phillippines i saw god do some amazing things and if i did not have the help of the holy spirit i would not have been able to witness 4 men give their lives to god in one of the jails i shared my testiomony in and the crusade we did i would not have witnessed god heal two men with back problems

i had to totaly depend on the holy spirit god even touched one women who was visting her husband by what i shared

the words that came out were what the holy spirit wanted me to say as i asked every one to close their eyes and i welcomed the holy spirit and i said do not look too me but give praise to god for what he has done in my life

the holy spirit even made sure i was safe as their were no gaurds in the gaurd tower their were only two gaurds to control 500 inmates no guns just battons and hand cuffs i was checking the joint out thinking if a riot broke out we would be in seriouse trouble so i said quietly before i even stood up holy spirit prottect me and the other leaders from our church

i moved freely and walked in the midle of the row as i had guys to my right and too my left

yet when we play chess with the bible passages we know so well and have two christians arguing how is this going to be seen with in the communitys we live in when it comes to being a good witness we all know our bible very well and sometimes we can blow it i have seen it happen on this forum when it comes to new christians seeking fellow ship or help instead of giving out a simple honest answer it turns out into a war zone mean while the poor person who props up a question and is in need thinks what have i done

this is what i was looking at while i was in the phillippines

John 5 the for told witness

31 if i bear witness of my self my witness is not true

32 their is another who bears witness of me and i know that the witness which he witness of me is true

33 you have sent to john and he has borne witness to the truth

34 yet i do not receive testimony from man but i say these things that you may be saved

36 but i have a greater witness than johns for the works which the father has given me to finish the very works

that i do bear witness of me that the father has sent me

the holy spirit can also forbid us to preach

Acts 16 the call to macadonia

6 now when they had gone through phygia and the region of galatia they were forbiden by the holy spirit

to preach the word in asia

7 after they had come to mysia they tried to go into biythnia but the spirit did not permt them

8 so passing by mysia they came down to troas

9 and a vision appeared to paul in the night a man of macadoina stood and pleaded with him saying come over

to macadonia and help us

if we are to be the witness you are talking about are we willing to stop playing chess with the bible passages we all know so well and let god be god and alow the spirit to do his job ?

this is how i see this for my self as i have changed no longer do i doubt what i read in front of me i have seen what jesus said in all the gospels happen right in front of me but i have not seen a dead person come to life and to be honest i was scared as i also saw how i have acted in the past and i have even had to ask jesus to forgive me if i had caused any one to stumble by my foolishness and by my very own words

i am only speaking for my self hear

god bless from damo

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.58

I thought it might be profitable to start a thread on "The Word in Witness", that is based upon this verse:

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

I would like to be able to examine different verese within Scriptures with regard to the sharing of God's Word.

Is it important to HOW we witness? What does God's Word say about His Word and sharing it? Can you find other passages with regard to testifying, speaking God's Word, etc.? What does the above passage mean to you?

I'll be looking further into this.

In His Love,

Suzanne

For me it is a command to handle the bible in a correct way. To learn proper methods of studying etc.

Yes EricH,

I agree. THAT is precisely what I am talking about. We can mishandle God's Word as well. Which is/can be destructive in witnessing. Such as not giving the WHOLE counsel of God, thru His Word.

It is imperative that we do not LEAVE OUT certain things when witnessing.

What if we go out to share the gospel WITHOUT the message of repentance? Is that a correct way to witness and share the gospel?:

Mark 6:7 Calling the Twelve to him, he sent them out two by two and gave them authority over evil spirits. 8 These were his instructions: "Take nothing for the journey except a staff--no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. 9 Wear sandals but not an extra tunic. 10 Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you leave that town. 11 And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them." 12 They went out and preached that people should repent.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Shalom Suzanne,

I'll try this again.

No, I don't agree that we can "mishandle" G-d's Word if our heart is right.

I don't believe we need to be experts in the Word to witness.

I believe we need to be willing vessels of the Holy Spirit and not speak our own opinions, but G-d's Word.

THAT is what that verse speaks to me.

If we look at the Apostles (other than Paul), none were scholars. They learned from Jesus and became willing vessels, as we should. There is nothing wrong with learning all we can about the Bible, but if we are waiting to witness until we become "proficient" in the Word, many, many people will die without hearing the simple truth from G-d's Word that they can be saved by grace through faith in Jesus the Messiah.

Even baby Christians can witness what they know - how Jesus saved them and what He has done in their lives! One not be an expert ion theology to share this:

Romans 10:9-10

9because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works so that no one may boast.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

As I look at this verse, three words stick out. Approved, ashamed and correctly. I think it is important to understand these three words before we can understand the meaning behind this verse.

I see approved and not being ashamed found in Romans 12:1-2, as well as in the verses below.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

The last part of the verse can be found within 2 Timothy 2:14-26, which describes what is meant by rightly dividing the word. An example was given about how Hymenaeus and Philetus were teaching falsely and the damage they caused. I agree that one must understand the truth in order to rightly divide His Word is a key factor in talking to others about Christ and Salvation. I also see that it is important to be a mature Christian in the word.

Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal:

Wow!

Thank you brother. I did not EVEN realize how much more there was in regard to the topic, within those passages. I did a search and only saw the portion that I posted. I am SO glad that you posted the remaining portions, it really magnified the whole thing!

Also, the last portion tied in with the mindset of "repentance", as well, in regard to the WHOLE counsel.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Shalom,

Christians should witness using the Word. They need not be "experts" or "proficient" but be willing vessels of the Holy Spirit.

And to WHOM was this letter addressed? To Timothy, a church leader. Paul was instructing Timothy and charging him in his duties.

You cannot create a doctrine applicable to all Christians and how they are to witness by using 2 Timothy 2:15, that is not the intent or meaning of the verse or to whom it was written.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

But how often do we use these verses, written to Timothy, by Paul, about his ministerial duties?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

But how often do we use these verses, written to Timothy, by Paul, about his ministerial duties?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Shalom Alan,

Not the point and actually a Straw Man fallacy! :o The point is, the letters to Timothy are TO Timothy, about how to be a church leader. They do not apply to all Christians in how to witness. It's not even ABOUT witnessing so to use it to make a doctrinal stand about witnessing is not correct.