tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

But how often do we use these verses, written to Timothy, by Paul, about his ministerial duties?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Shalom Alan,

Not the point and actually a Straw Man fallacy! :o The point is, the letters to Timothy are TO Timothy, about how to be a church leader. They do not apply to all Christians in how to witness. It's not even ABOUT witnessing so to use it to make a doctrinal stand about witnessing is not correct.

Well, as you say, we don't always agree. :o

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I don't agree, as I wouldn't dismiss anything that Paul wrote within the Bible. It is applicable for ALL Christians, otherwise you're saying it's alright to pick and choose certain teachings in regard to God's Word. I think the instruction stands for us all.

On another note, here are some more verses that caught my eye with regard to witnessing.

Galatians 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. 11 I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up.

It is important to remember what we heard from the first. In regard to the Scriptures, we have to look at the disciples and how they witnessed. What was their message that they were sent with? What was Paul sent out with?

In His Love,

Suzanne

2 Corinthians 5:18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

What does reconcile mean?

reconciled:to change, exchange, as coins for others of equivalent value

to reconcile (those who are at variance)

return to favour with, be reconciled to one

to receive one into favour

(reminds me of Adam and Eve being cast out of the garden)

from the 2 root meanings:

katav

down from, through out

according to, toward, along

ajllavssw

to change, to exchange one thing for another, to transform

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

I don't agree, as I wouldn't dismiss anything that Paul wrote within the Bible.

Shalom Suzanne,

No one is dismissing anything, but it does not specifically apply to witnessing as you are trying to make it. It is how we are to LIVE, not rules for witnessing. You are taking Scripture *out of context* and applying it where it was never intended. That is how false doctrine gets started.

The verse you pulled out of that letter has nothing to do with witnessing and you cannot make it apply. That is not the correct intent, audience or meaning of the Scripture.

It is imperative that we *rightly divide the Word of truth* and taking Scripture out of context and misapplying it is not rightly dividing the Word of truth. Apply that verse to your OP and you will see that saying this verse has anything to do with witnessing is NOT "correctly handles the word of truth. " That would be not misapplying Scripture to mean something it was never intended to mean.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/17/1953

How the Word of God is used in regard to Christians and their witness?

I thought it might be profitable to start a thread on "The Word in Witness", that is based upon this verse:

2 Timothy 2:15

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

I would like to be able to examine different verese within Scriptures with regard to the sharing of God's Word.

Is it important to HOW we witness? What does God's Word say about His Word and sharing it? Can you find other passages with regard to testifying, speaking God's Word, etc.? What does the above passage mean to you?

I'll be looking further into this.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Well my K.J.V bible states it this way, "study" to shew thyself approved unto God , a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. In other words. When we "know" excatly what we are talking about by being worthy of sharing the "truth". By having the holy spirit direct each and every thing we say at all times because we should be keeping ourselves worthy; and that is how we invite the spirit into our daily companionship. It is the "spirit" that does the speaking when we are a true and "worthy" disciple. :thumbsup:

Shalom,

In answer to the OP, how should we use the Word when witnessing?

Romans 10:

9because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

4How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" 16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says,"Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?"

17So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

We are to witness being led of the Holy Spirit and speaking the truth from the Word.

Shalom,

Worth reading:

CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS & RESEARCH MINISTRY

www.carm.org

Why Should We Witness?

Have you ever asked yourself, "Why should I witness?" Several reasons should come to mind.

First, because Jesus commands you to: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit," (Matt. 28:19). Also, Ezek. 3:11 says, "and go to the exiles, to the sons of your people, and speak to them and tell them, whether they listen or not..."

Second, you must witness because you love the unsaved (if you don't, you should). The most loving thing you can do is present the gospel in hopes of bringing others to salvation. Galatians 5:22 lists love as one of the fruit of the Spirit. It is love's nature to give. Take for example John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son..." Love gives, and if you have only a small portion of His love, you will want to give to others.

Third, witness because it is a wise thing to do. Prov. 11:30 says, "...he who is wise wins souls." Now, I know I am not a very wise person. But, since God says I'll be wise to win souls, or try to, then great, let me at it. I want to be wise in God's sight.

Fourth, witness to keep people out of hell. Hell is a terrifying place of utter anguish and eternal separation from God. Those who are not saved go there. Witnessing is an attempt to keep them out of hell.

Fifth, witness because it pleases God and brings glory to His name.

And finally, witness so they may find the love and fellowship of God (1 John 1:3), the greatest of all treasures. I can think of no greater gift than salvation. It frees the sinner from sin, it delivers the lost from damnation, and it reveals the true and living God to those who don't know Him.

The angels of heaven rejoice greatly when anyone passes from judgment into salvation (Luke 15:10). Shouldn't we as Christians rejoice too? Shouldn't we weep over the lost? Shouldn't we ask the Lord of the field to send laborers into His harvest (Luke 10:2)? Certainly! The salvation of others is the goal of your efforts. The love of God is your motive. Is there anything greater? So, give.

Just in case the 2nd portion of my post was overlooked.

On another note, here are some more verses that caught my eye with regard to witnessing.

Galatians 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. 11 I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up.

It is important to remember what we heard from the first. In regard to the Scriptures, we have to look at the disciples and how they witnessed. What was their message that they were sent with? What was Paul sent out with?

In His Love,

Suzanne

Scriptural witnessing:

JESUS:

Matt. 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Rev. 3:3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

Rev. 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

PETER:

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, 20 and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, 21 whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.

THE DISCIPLES:

Mark 6:12 So they went out and preached that people should repent.

PAUL:

Acts 17:30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."

Acts 26:15 So I said, 'Who are You, Lord?' And He said, 'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. 17 I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, 18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.' 19 "Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

(Repentance must be included!)

In His Love,

Suzanne