mizzdy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

Hope this is the right place to post this. How do you talk to someone who tells you they have faith but you see that their faith is not grounded in the word of God? My friend bases her faith on the ideals of a church she attended up till high school and that was a long time ago. :thumbsup: She hasn't read the bible at all. She is my best friend, and she has so much going for her, she is so good to all her friends and family and I believe that is her calling. Believe me she has a huge somewhat screwy extended family and she is the glue that holds them together. Her faith has just been renewed and I rejoice with that knowledge but I am unclear as to how to show her the bible can be trusted. God breathed is a hard concept for her to accept I think. While we all can admit men did write the bible she takes an almost atheistic view of it. So any advice?

:thumbsup:

You Might Get Her One Of Those Scripture-A-Day Calenders (Any Christian Bookstore Or On-Line At Worthy Etc). The More You Read Scripture The More The Holy Spirit Seems To Plant It Deep Within Your Heart.

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

Hope this is the right place to post this. How do you talk to someone who tells you they have faith but you see that their faith is not grounded in the word of God? My friend bases her faith on the ideals of a church she attended up till high school and that was a long time ago. :thumbsup: She hasn't read the bible at all. She is my best friend, and she has so much going for her, she is so good to all her friends and family and I believe that is her calling. Believe me she has a huge somewhat screwy extended family and she is the glue that holds them together. Her faith has just been renewed and I rejoice with that knowledge but I am unclear as to how to show her the bible can be trusted. God breathed is a hard concept for her to accept I think. While we all can admit men did write the bible she takes an almost atheistic view of it. So any advice?

Just from reading your post, I get the impression that your friend is a 'hands on' practical person. Which means that she probably needs to see Christ demonstrated and manifested. This is not a hard thing. God has already demonstrated that he is with her through the renewing of her faith. Share God''s blessings, his joys, testimonies and God's love with her. When she is ready, she will come round and you will probably be the person she will ask about studying the bible.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

Fresnojoe is right, pray, pray, pray. Ask for the wisdom to show your friend the truth. Imo, don't bomard her. Its line upon line, and precept upon precept.

Guest Penguins04

:emot-highfive:

I feel like this is sort of where I am with my roommate. I was the one who introduced her to church and basically took her every time there was something going on. Now that we have lived together for the past year (away at college) we have both had some eye opening worldly experiences that have changed us. I have realized just how hard it is to truly trust and rely in God. I love Him and am working on 'waiting for Him' as we should. She however, has totally taken the wrong direction and gone down the wrong paths. Living in the world I guess. I wish it was easier to direct friends. I feel it's hard for me to share my faith even though it's all I can think about when we are around each other. I feel like I will just push her away if I share how I feel about her drifting away from God.

About your friend, I don't have sound advise about truly opening her eyes to a wonderfully forgiving and merciful God but maybe it's something that she feels isn't necessary. Like reading the bible or truly trusting it's truth. I don't know exactly how to reach out to a friend who already feels their faith is "fine" or who feels like their 'soul' is already saved. It's one thing to trust God but it's another level to have Faith in the One and Eternal Savior.

God bless you in your courage to reach out to her and I will certainly try to remember your struggle as I deal with my similar one.

IN Christ

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Hope this is the right place to post this. How do you talk to someone who tells you they have faith but you see that their faith is not grounded in the word of God? My friend bases her faith on the ideals of a church she attended up till high school and that was a long time ago. :emot-highfive: She hasn't read the bible at all. She is my best friend, and she has so much going for her, she is so good to all her friends and family and I believe that is her calling. Believe me she has a huge somewhat screwy extended family and she is the glue that holds them together. Her faith has just been renewed and I rejoice with that knowledge but I am unclear as to how to show her the bible can be trusted. God breathed is a hard concept for her to accept I think. While we all can admit men did write the bible she takes an almost atheistic view of it. So any advice?

Would it be possible to have a Bible study with her? It sounds as if she needs some grounding and direction in her faith. It can be so easy to be led astray with all of the New Age, Emerging Church lies that are out there. Even if you could find some scriptures and ask her for her opinion on them. Just to get her into her Bible.

Welcome, Penquins04. It's nice to have you here. Maybe you could try the same thing with your friend.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

Thanks for all the advice. We can't have a bible study together we live several thousands of miles apart. Matter fact we have never met face to face but have been friends for about 10 years. We met on a medical board, we have the same disease. Trying to do something like that on the phone would be hard and it seems she doesn't like to hear too much what the bible says about most anything. She told me the other day since neither one of us has much outside conection we don't sin! :24: And before I even thought I pointed out that pride and boastfullness was indeed a sin. I have been thinking about sending her a bible but don't want to upset her in any way. The more I think about that the more I am convinced I should send her one. :24: I am not worried that she is going to run off to the emergent church she is very against organized religion. I will continue to pray for her and for what direction I should take with her. Thanks for the responses. The people on this forum are so nice, its probably the best I have ever been on. :whistling:

• 5 months later...
Guest ndikandika

:emot-hug:

Hope this is the right place to post this. How do you talk to someone who tells you they have faith but you see that their faith is not grounded in the word of God? My friend bases her faith on the ideals of a church she attended up till high school and that was a long time ago. :whistling: She hasn't read the bible at all. She is my best friend, and she has so much going for her, she is so good to all her friends and family and I believe that is her calling. Believe me she has a huge somewhat screwy extended family and she is the glue that holds them together. Her faith has just been renewed and I rejoice with that knowledge but I am unclear as to how to show her the bible can be trusted. God breathed is a hard concept for her to accept I think. While we all can admit men did write the bible she takes an almost atheistic view of it. So any advice?

i think if she should know that the holy spirit inspired man to write the bible :emot-hug: