• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

This article is from the UK, but in reality it could be anywhere because just about all over the world petty "officials" and even government "wannabe powerful" employees have been given "something to make them feel special" - "anti-terrorist laws"and everywhere these petty "officials" are squandering incredible amounts of other peoples' money and pushing others around so that they can justify their existance. And nearly all over the world a lot of people are condoning this because they spend most of their time cowering in corners afraid of their own shadows and living in fear of "terrorists" everywhere. How did we let this happen?

________________________________________________________________________________

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle4036231.ece

Times on line

Alexi Mostrous

Thousands of middle managers in local councils are being authorised to spy on people suspected of petty offences using powers designed to prevent crime and terrorism.

Even junior council officials are being allowed to initiate surveillance operations in what privacy campaigners likened to Eastern bloc police tactics.

The Home Office is expected to be urged by the Commons Home Affairs select committee to issue guidelines to councils on the type of operations in which surveillance can be used.

Amid increasing concern in Parliament that the UK is slowly becoming a surveillance society, the committee has looked at the operation of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (Ripa), which some MPs say is being misused to focus on petty crime rather than serious offending.

Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs select committee, told The Times:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

ugly, but not difficult to understand. is there any greater desire in a human being than to have power over others? in small ways or large, men & women hunger for this power. to be a person whom others have to try to please is a base desire that most strive to satisfy all their lives but that the christian understands to be the great obstacle to genuine contentment.

forgive me for 'waxing philosophical'. it is a danger that i also recognized during the american president's last state of the union speech when he mentioned forming volunteer police organizations.

ultimately, i imagine it's up to the people if they want to put up with it or not.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I thought it was great when the US postal service refused to spy on citizens. SALUTE!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

This article is from the UK, but in reality it could be anywhere because just about all over the world petty "officials" and even government "wannabe powerful" employees have been given "something to make them feel special" - "anti-terrorist laws"and everywhere these petty "officials" are squandering incredible amounts of other peoples' money and pushing others around so that they can justify their existance. And nearly all over the world a lot of people are condoning this because they spend most of their time cowering in corners afraid of their own shadows and living in fear of "terrorists" everywhere. How did we let this happen?

________________________________________________________________________________

Well at least we are not all cowering in corners afraid of own shadows and living in fear of *big brother* I've attended a line up and fingered a criminal that passed me dud cheque when purchasing some booze from my boss's liquer store. I would dub anyone in if I saw the law broken.

how did we let this happen?......By not protecting our borders closley enough.