• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hey everyone :blink:

I just wanted to share something that I'm beginning to notice more and more, and I know many of us already know this, but I just want to share what God has done..... I hate dogs.

Hence the name kittylover right? No, I love dogs, but I don't like dogs that either aren't on leashes, or aren't in fences. Even then, I don't like dogs that Id on't know. Okay, give me some credit. I like chiwawas, and cocker spaniels are pretty cute, and the pups are just adorable, but once you get to a dog that is bigger than you, a dog that has teeth that can tear you to shreds in a heartbeat? that's where I have an issue :emot-hug: just a small one :emot-hug:

Anyway, so, today, we were out soulwinning, knocking doors.... we were coming to this one house to go and knock and this HUGE german shephard starts running toward us, and it's barking..... we turned around and started walking away....... walked away.... walked away.... prayed and prayed and prayed and walkd away... I looked back and the dog came running towards us again in that stupid yard. He wasn't on a leash, there was a part of the fence where there was no fence. It was one mean dog. That dumb thing never left the fence. We figure it had an invisible electric fence to keep the dog in, but that was still God in control. We had our bibles with us, maybe a purse with us, and that was able it. Oh yes, and a rain hat. O_O We can say that it was becuase of the electric fence, and we can say that it was becuase of the owners not wanting the dog to get out, but we surely didn't know that. We trusted the Lord and just walked back. Well, my best friend ran :P Just prayed and walked, scared to death lol God was in control.

I remember a time back a couple of years ago out in one of the worst neighborhoods close by, and we went around this corner to try and knock on the door, maybe just hang flyers for VBS at the time, and there was a pretty white fence that quickly turned into this old wooden fence that maybe went two-three feet high, rotting away. We came around the corner, and there on the other side of this old (now brown, just plain wood) wood fence, was a HUGE white pit bull... it had scares on it's face, it was snarling at it, it was barking and growling. lol I WAS SCARED TO DEATH. First time I had ever encountered a dog like that and I thought for sure I was a gonner. Still somewhat new to visitation. We walked out the corner and took off. My best friend turned aroun and said "ther'es nothing following us" and I said "I DON"T CARE! RUN!!!!". I still refuse to go back to that part of the neighborhood, send some of the teen guys instead :P with a warning of course, I'm not that mean. But anyway, so that dog didn't chase us. Okay, praise the Lord, it stayed in the fence right? It coudln't get out? Wrong. We talked to a guy in the parking lot who we had a cahnce to witness to and he said, "Oh, that dog comes out here all the time, wanders around the parking lot etc, and then goes back". O_O O_O O_O O_O O_O O_O O_O O_O

God's in control. I hate dogs..... but God's in control.

Anyway, the real point of this, other than that my adrenaline gets going again just thinking about it, it's to say that even though it seems impossible (and each of those times, plus others I can think of, we could have died, or been SERIOUSLY injured... paralyzed, lost limbs, etc,) God has been in control and he has watched over us. God protects His own and he truly cares for us. He knows what need, and he knows about the little things ni our lives... and the big things such a dog around the corner we are about to encounter. We think of God calming the lions and that seems like a great story and all, great children's story that "we should learn from", but how often do we really think about how tremendous that was, and that God STILL is in the power of calming those "savage beasts" that we can be so afraid of, and rightfully so?

Whether or not it was the owner's common sense to have an electric fence up, what if that electric fence stopped working? What if it had stopped working sometime and it had just gotten fixed. What if it stops working sometime this afternoon? Eitehr way with that, God protected us and even if one can say "maybe it wans't God", no one can look at that pit bull and say "That wasn't God".

God's in control and he watches over our lives, no matter the fears of the impossible. I heard a preacher once that say that fear isn't a sin, we are going to be a afraid.... but it's when we let fear stop us from serving God that fear becomes and sin. We need to take our fears and give them to God, he knows what's best and He knows how to protect us.

God's in control :) That's all I really wanted to say. Just remember what the situation is, even if it's not dogs, but something circumstancial, or maybe even a person we're afraid of, God is in control :(

:emot-hug:

(knees still shaking :emot-hug: )

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

first off....

if it was a mean dog, you would have gotten bit or attacked ...... a dog running towards you is not always a sign of aggression, but may be that dog barking and running towards you welcoming you to his yard, wanting to play.....

our dog, would do the same thing, actually does..... some one comes in the yard, she starts barking and wanting to get out to go see them.... what most people do not notice is the other end of the dog, THE TAIL.... hers is going so fast, you can not see it, wagging that is... she loves people and the worst thing that might happen is they get a bunch of dog kisses... a dog moving in this way can be a frightening thing though....

you are very smart to avoid dogs you do not know..... it is not a good things to pet them...... something else to keep in mind when a new dog is coming towards you........ DO NOT SMILE.....

THATS RIGHT, DO NOT SMILE AT THEM TRYING TO BE FRIENDLY......

why? it is a sign of aggression from you... and if a person has a hairy face, this makes it seem even more aggressive.....

what a dog sees when a person smiles TEETH..... and when one dog bares its teeth towards another it takes it as a threat.... when a human smiles, and gets down on the dogs level, that is putting the dog in a position to feel like it needs to protect its domain.......

another thing to remember, when leaving a dog that is mean, or suspected mean, do not turn your back on them, even ankle biters, especially them...... walk back wards out of the area that the dog is controlling..... walk slowly, DO NOT RUN...

running triggers the instinct of chase...... and the dog will chase and can become more aggressive then it normally would be.

walking backwards keeps your face towards the dog and the dog will keeps its distance....

Now... with all that said......

SOME PEOPLE DO TRAIN THEIR DOGS TO DO MEAN THINGS...... not every one that owns a pittbull, or a rottweiler is a jerk, but it sure seems that all the jerks have one.....

a defensive move..... it is gross, but does work..... if a dog is bound to attack and bit, a person can stick their hand down the throat of the dog, fingers first, this has to be a fast move, and as the fingers go down the throat, grab the lower jaw and squeeze with everything you have to hang on........ you may receive some bit marks on the palm of the hand from the lower teeth, but with the fingers down the throat the dog can not close its mouth, holding on to the jaw, you have control of the dog to a point (you may have to wrestle with the dog for a while)... if you squeeze hard enough, you can break the jaw and actually allow yourself time to get to safety and call the authorities.........

now, about cats......

do not forget to roll your windows up, for i have yet seen a cat on a tether, or very many controlled when they are outside, no leash law for cats..... my truck has been sprayed many times and I am allergic to cats..... only two people have I seen where they have controll items in place when allowing their cats out side.... one has a large pen, like you would see in a zoo with a top on it, this protects the cat and also allows others to be protected from the cat..... the other has a fenced yard, and has covered the top of an area with chain link also, the pet door leads to this area....

i have seen where cats running free is a huge problem.... getting run over by cars, spreading fleas from one yard to many others.....getting chopped up or mangled when some one else starts their car ( caught in the fan or a fan belt ).... damaging convertible tops... causing penned up dogs to bark and the owner of the dog getting a ticket for having a problem animal (barking regulations).

the only time our dog barks, is when some one is coming up the walk to the front door, or when some one is going down the alley or another animal is loose in the area....

something to do when you are out and about..... get some doggy treats...... seriously..... get some of the walmart cheap dog treats and carry several with you...... when a dog comes up like that, toss one on the ground between you, not at the dog, but between you so the dog can see it hit the ground and will give a bit of a distraction and also will occupy the dog for a few seconds..... time to put some distance between you and the dog......

our postal people carry them.... and they use them..... mace is another defensive item to have for that...... a bit of mace on the face can give you a great advantage over a dog... i would not use this except in the case where it is not stopping and is charging....... as you can end up with a legal situation.....

one day, while working, i was repairing a water leak for a lady.... and as i got out of my truck, two dogs from a house across the street came charging over, heads down and ears back and the hairs on their necks raised up..... I grabbed my water key ( a key that is used to turn on and off water meters, shaped like a capitol T...) and drew back, ready to swing if needed, the owner of the dogs was on the front porch watching, the dogs kept trying to get behind me, so I yelled at the lady, "do you want your dogs?" no answer, "If you do, you had better call them off" she did not call them..... I yelled at her one more time, I said " Call them off, or I will start taking care of them NOW!!!!!"

had she not called them, I was ready to plant the end of the T in ones head and then the other..... self defense... and she would not have just lost two dogs, but would have also had the authorities to deal with...

DO NOT ASSUME JUST BECAUSE A DOG IS NOT CHARGING AND BARKING THAT IT IS SAFE... be careful around dogs that you do not know...... even those you do know...

we had a dog, that was as friendly as can be..... and one with a person this dog was familiar with, the little girl got bit. not bad, left a couple marks, from 6 years ago, now, this dog, never showed signs of aggression before or after this incident. there were several people around and no one could say WHY.... or WHAT HAPPENED..... no one knew how it came to bit her on the face.... IAW the Bible, the dog was placed in quarantine and then put down... if i knew why the dog bit, that might have been a different thing, but it could have been her eye, that got bit and not her cheek. we have one dog left now, and when she is gone, there will be no more dogs in this house..... unless we end up getting some malamutes and making a sled/wagon to travel with......

mike

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

not every one that owns a pittbull, or a rottweiler is a jerk, but it sure seems that all the jerks have one.....

:24::24: I've never thought of it that way... :24::24:

I got a pit bull puppy on my 10th birthday....she was a wonderful dog...she lived a good long life...and was the most loyal loving pet.... :laugh::laugh: All 90lbs of her!!!

(I guess I should add...we were not jerks! :P )

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I worked in an animal shleter for three years. The worst biters were:

1)Chow Chows

2)Cocker Spaniels

Rottweilers and pitbulls were further down the list.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I worked in an animal shelter for three years. The worst biters were:

1)Chow Chows

2)Cocker Spaniels

Rottweilers and pit bulls were further down the list.

statistically speaking, the dog known to have more bites to its record is the Dalmatians.... why? cause they have been imbread in such a way, they tend to loose their hearing or eye sight, thus making them easy to spook, and when a dog is spooked, they tend to take a defensive stance or defensive action, biting.....

anyways.... have a wonderful day....

mike

• Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I worked in an animal shelter for three years. The worst biters were:

1)Chow Chows

2)Cocker Spaniels

Rottweilers and pit bulls were further down the list.

statistically speaking, the dog known to have more bites to its record is the Dalmatians.... why? cause they have been imbread in such a way, they tend to loose their hearing or eye sight, thus making them easy to spook, and when a dog is spooked, they tend to take a defensive stance or defensive action, biting.....

anyways.... have a wonderful day....

mike

I was speaking of in that specific county that I worked in. We had a very large # of rottweilers and pits in our county, but they were not the ones who bit the most in that county.

But yes, 1 in 10 dalmations are born deaf. I believe this is true of all white dogs as well. I have an American Eskimo, one of his litter mates was deaf. (whole litter was pure white, came through our shelter) I wasn't aware of the connection between being deaf and being aggresive. In my experience, spooks cause the least serious of bites. There's different kinds of biting. Spook biting is usually just a quick warning bite or snap, rather than a much more harmful and very intentional full on attack.

Cockers and chow chows are territorial, and tend to set a perimeter larger than their own yard, and bite strangers who come in their perimeter. Cockers tend to bite from behind. I love cockers, they are great dogs, no dog is perfect, but that is one trait cockers tend to have thatone has to watch out for.

There's spook warning snap/bites, there's territorial bites, and then there's the kind of bite where the dog pretty much wants to kill you. I didnt work in the animal control part of the job as I am deaf, so that is from my limited experience. I did get bit on the job by an Akita who had every intention of doing serious harm and wasnt stopping on his own. My boss came running across the room and inserted her boot square into his face and he let go at that time, and I slammed the kennel door shut. (Akita had head through door opening when he was attacking me, I put my boot in his mouth, otherwise it would have been my face) I have been bit twice by cockers. Both territorial bites, on the back of my calf. Only one broke skin and caused blood shed.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I'm into dogs, big time. Got two doxies who give me tons of love. Wouldn't want to live without them. Yipper.