Emily~Anne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Me and my husband have been talking about the possibility of moving to Arizona. It's only a slight possibility, in very early stages.

#1 reason why we are considering Arizona? My husband is a paraplegic in a wheelchair, with horrible, horrible arthritis in his shoulders, hands and wrists. He recently went off his arthritis meds three weeks ago. Each day he hurts a little more, but not as much as he would in winter. Cold and humidity hurt his joints.

We still have young children, (two boys, age 4 and 11) and my husband is very concerned about the risk of heart attack that comes from all NSAID'S used for arthritis. Anyways, Arizona I hear is a nice dry heat. Perfect environment for my husband's arthritis. Can anyone tell me more about Arizona? We dont want it to be over 100 degrees year round, and would like to still be able to snuggle around a campfire once in a while without sweating. I understand there are no lawn to mow in Arizona? ( :noidea: ) What kind of wildlife is out there? What has been your experience?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I dug Fort Huachuca, AZ, way back in the dang old day. The Huachuca Mountains are beautiful.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

If you want weather under 100 then you may not want to move to AZ, even up around Flagstaff it can get that hot. My husband grew up in Yuma AZ and believe me is it ever hot there for most of the year. We went down to visit the first of the year and it was the first time I can ever remember it getting that cold. I have been in Phoenix when it was 121! And during the monsoons season it does get humid but doesn't last an entire summer as it does else where. Not having a lawn to mow is a choice really but hey it is the desert and in my opinion one shouldn't have a lawn, I live in Nevada and it just irks me to see all the big lawns people have! New Mexico is really nice as is Colorado and Utah. As for his arthritis have you looked into homeopathic stuff? Right off hand I can't think of any names but will keep you in mind and your family in my prayers.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

It's a wonderful state. You can find SOOOOO much fantastic and interesting scenery!

You can choose to live in any climate except rain forest and tundra, in this MARVELOUS state!

If you move here, we simply MUST meet!

Look at your PM's

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

I live in Arizona. Its warmer in cities due to urban heat island effect. Best way to check temps is to go online and look them up. Phoenix summer temps are high. June is about 105 usually. Gets over 110 at times. July has higher humidity so temps can be lower but we have also hit 120 plus then too. Winter is nice. Temps in 50s-70s in December. We can get cold, 20s at night. My arthritis acts up then.

Some folks have lawns and some dont. Xeriscaping (planting low water use plants) is preferable due to water issues.

Animals? We got lots of things. Some are nasty tho lol.

It really depends on where you go. Phoenix and Tucson are about the same temps as I stated above. Flagstaff gets cold snowy winters, and cold summer nights. Not good for arthritis. Prescott is similar to Flagstaff. Yuma is too hot even for me lol.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Native Arizonan here...

I love this place...I will never leave. For me personally the summers are hot, but not even remotely unbearable. The 100+ degree temps last from mid-may to mid-august, but as was pointed out its pretty dry. You will stay indoors more during the summer months. The payoff is the rest of the year...I simply cannot imagine better weather from Aug-May. My favorite time of year is August when the monsoons start. The monsoons are simply beautiful and stunning. I live in Tucson and I agree with Ayin Jade that Tucson/Phoenix are about the same. Phoenix is a bit more modern and progressive...while Tucson has that smaller town vibe. Both are turning into "little Mexico."

One of the best things about Arizona is its absolute beauty. Everywhere you go in Arizona you will find something breathtakingly beautiful. Another great thing about Southern Arizona is that it is a great hub for going other places. We are only a few hours away from the ocean in San Diego, or Rocky Point (in Mexico), a couple hours from great ski trips in the winter, and a weekend in Vegas is easy too...just to name a few.

You can have a yard if you want...I have one. However, I've been thinking about replacing that grass with a pool. Either way, its still work...lol.

If you were interested in moving to Arizona I would suggest looking at the Town of Marana. It is between Tucson and Phoenix (closer to Tucson), and is probably one of the best run, conservative, small towns in the state.

Marana website (there is a video under the gov't tab)

BTW...its true that our climate is wonderful for people with your hubby's condition. All my life I've heard testimonials to that effect.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I lived in Pheonix Ariz. for a couple of years as a kid. It can be very hot during the summer but the beauty sure makes up for any discomfort. I would move back in a heart beat! I live in S. Fla. now and the temperature may not be as high but it is more unbearable because of the humidity. I too have heard that Ariz. type temperature is wondrful for those who suffer from arthritist.

I live in Phoenix, and the job market here can be hard. I would recommend trying to line up some interviews and make a separate trip before moving here if you are going to be looking for work. Housing can be expensive (for rent or buy) even in the bad real estate market because the wages are lower than in other parts of the country.

We do have mass transit and the first line of the light rail system is due to start running in December of this year.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Really depends on which part of Arizona you're thinking about going to.

No, most people don't have substantial lawns, at least in the Phoenix area. Water is expensive, and the heat is so intense during the summer that it's hard to maintain nice plush grass. The two houses my family owns down there each have about six square feet of grass at most (in the shadiest parts of the back yards), and the rest is landscaped with desert plants.

Wildlife? Rattlesnakes, of course, some desert hares, lots of birds...not sure what else (though I imagine the mountainous regions are home to your typical mountain wildlife, like wildcats and such) but those are the ones you'll see when you're close to the cities.

You probably have to get regular pest control, otherwise you start seeing scorpions trying to move into the air conditioned buildings during the heat of the day (my mom was a week late getting hers done and she had no less than four in the house in a single day. Of course, doesn't help that her tenants are morons and always leave the door to the pool open).

Oh...and check your sheets for centipedes...I had a bad experience with one last time I was down there (crawled into my pyjamas and bit me *shudder*).

Personally, I love it in the winter and spring, but I could really do without going down there during the summer. Too stinkin' hot for this Canadian.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Ive lived in Arizona for over 30 yrs. In Tucson, Phoenix, Northern Arizona, and extended visits to family who used to live in Prescott.

In all that time Ive seen 1 rattlesnake in the wild. Even tho Ive been in areas where others have seen snakes. Ive seen 2 scorpions, one of which ran over my foot because mom doesnt use an exterminator. :th_praying: One centipede when I was camping and it came near the fire. Killer bees are around too, but as long as you routinely check your home for buzzy things, that too shouldnt be a problem. In Phoenix, Ive seen burrowing owls, larger owls, roadrunners, hawks, buzzards, hummingbirds, various other birds I couldnt identify, coyotes, javelinas, coatimundi, lizards, a coral snake, more jackrabbits than anyone should see lol, groundsquirrels. In the wild outside the city Ive also seen bear, elk, deer, pronghorn antelope, badger, prairie dogs, bald eagles. Some folks have had encounters with mountain lions and rabid foxes. Most arizonans never really get out into the rural areas and dont encounter any of this stuff. Oh and spiders are not fun here either. Dont get bit by an arizona brown recluse or a black widow. Those are ER visits.

I have xeriscaping in my yard. A patio with potted miniature roses. I have a lot of nice looking flowers, and greenery with minimal water usage. A little weed retardent and you wont have nasty weeds growing up through the gravel either.