IGNORED

How do we know our bible is right

tigger398

By The Indwelling Of The Mighty Holy Ghost

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 2:12-14

Take Him At His Word, Ask God

And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Luke 11:9-10

And Receive Jesus

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

And Rejoice

Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Amen

:)

And Be Blessed Beloved Of The LORD

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. Joel 2:32

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

No one now was born in bible times. How do we know our bible is the right one to follow. How do we know our bible is the truth, and not another bible.
It's a concept called "Faith". People often misunderstand this word to mean "belief", which is not the same thing at all. When I say "I have Faith in God", my Faith is not in his existence, but rather in the promises given to us. This trust ("Trust" is a better word to describe Faith) I place in the Bible. I believe I have sufficient cause to base this Trust/Faith on. I have read the Bible many times and have yet to see anything that would contravene their claim as being the divinely inspired words of God. Add to this our personal relationship with Christ, and as we grow through prayer (talking to God) and reading the Bible (God talking to us) we grow as members of Christ's family.

Trust is not something that is perfectly solid and sound. I trust in many things. If I were married (I'm not) I would trust that my spouse were Faithful and that when she said "I love you", that she means it. Sometimes that Faith might not be well-placed (eg, that wife might indeed have been lying). But we base our Trust in their word until we have proof otherwise.

So bottom line - we can't be certain our Bible is right. There is no way to be sure. But for me, I trust that the Bible is God's word because God has told me so in the Bible and as of yet has given me no reason to doubt that. I have let God down many times, but God has never let me down. And so I trust the Bible to be true (ie, have Faith that the Bible is true).

That said, the question then becomes, as you ask - "how do we know another book might not be right". To this, the answer is study. Find a good book that compares all the religions of the world (off the top of my head, a book called "The Universe Next Door" is a good introduction to the various worldviews edit: Here's a LINK to some information on that book . When you look at the book and the worldviews represented within, some of the views are enlightening, some truly frightening, but at all times I have noticed none of them can compare with the simple truths that are revealed through Jesus in the Bible.

But don't take my word for it. Read up for yourself. Look for books on the various worldviews, and see how they compare. Then look at the Bible and see what it says and in prayerful petition to God, seek the answers and arrive at your conclusions.

I wish you the best in your search, Tigger :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

i believe it is right for many reasons tigger, not only because of personal faith, but also because of historical and archaeological support that substantiates the stories within it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Were any other Bibles written over such a long period of time, by so many different people, and still agrees with itself? Does any other Bible proclaim a risen savior?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Keep in mind that the prophet's writings have been totally fulfilled up to this point. That can lead us to the conclusion that God is faithful to perform his word. Also the Gospels and Acts were written by people who had actually witnessed the events they were writing about.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Keep in mind that the prophet's writings have been totally fulfilled up to this point
Not precisely. There are many prophecies of the Messiah that are fulfilled through Jesus, and I won't deny that. But there are many many many many more that have not been completed. Christians take the view that these prophecies will be fulfilled during the "Second Coming". Jews don't believe in a second coming and believe that when the Messiah comes all the prophecies will be fulfilled.

So I think it is misleading (at best) to suggest that the writings fo the prophets have been "totally fulfilled".

Likewise, the historical/archaeological similarities. Some do exist, but there are many events not covered by ancient contemporary writers (who was Pharaoh of Egypt, and why was no mention made of the Exodus, or why did no contemporary historian mention the mass reincarnations/resurrections of saints who had fallen asleep but came alive again in Matthew 27).

I certainly can understand trying to make the Bible appear "better" than other religious texts, but is this so????? Just a thought,

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

But based on the ones that have been fulfilled it would be reasonable to conclude that the ones regarding the second coming will be fulfilled also when the time comes.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

the scriptures have survived for thousands of years. scrolls and other writings have been found that agree with it. much of the writing is confirmed by other history.

the amazing thing that confirms it for me is that of the writers themselves. they wrote at different times and in different places but they all wrote about the same thing. all their writings carry out the one theme of God's plan. 40 different writers wrote the 66 books of the bible over a span of hundreds of years. still, it carries out that one theme throughout the whole thing.

(we've had thousands of years to try and disprove it; yet, no one has been able to do it yet.)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  1

Keep in mind that the prophet's writings have been totally fulfilled up to this point
Not precisely. There are many prophecies of the Messiah that are fulfilled through Jesus, and I won't deny that. But there are many many many many more that have not been completed. Christians take the view that these prophecies will be fulfilled during the "Second Coming". Jews don't believe in a second coming and believe that when the Messiah comes all the prophecies will be fulfilled.

So I think it is misleading (at best) to suggest that the writings fo the prophets have been "totally fulfilled".

Likewise, the historical/archaeological similarities. Some do exist, but there are many events not covered by ancient contemporary writers (who was Pharaoh of Egypt, and why was no mention made of the Exodus, or why did no contemporary historian mention the mass reincarnations/resurrections of saints who had fallen asleep but came alive again in Matthew 27).

I certainly can understand trying to make the Bible appear "better" than other religious texts, but is this so????? Just a thought,

Actually there is a world of difference between the Bible and other texts both in terms of fulfilled prophecy and archaeological and historical accuracy. In addition there is more textual evidence (in terms of numbers of ancient texts available) than any other holy book. The fact that the Exodus is not mentioned by the Egyptians is not surprising.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Actually there is a world of difference between the Bible and other texts both in terms of fulfilled prophecy and archaeological and historical accuracy. In addition there is more textual evidence (in terms of numbers of ancient texts available) than any other holy book. The fact that the Exodus is not mentioned by the Egyptians is not surprising.

when examining other ancient writings, it is just as important to note what is not said. i guess that's true for any historical literature. sometimes there are gaps; instead of assuming the information is lost, it could be deliberate omission. now that i think about it, we probably should apply that to just about anything we read and hear.

one more note about the bible. the depth of knowledge is incredible. thousands of scholars have studied these scriptures for thousands of years; yet, we are still discovering things previously hidden.