IGNORED

Which is Biblical for Training for the Ministry?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hey Everyone :blink:

This is something that was kind of posed to me a while ago and I'm kinda curious of the responses for this. It seems to be widely accepted that people go to a Christian college in order to be trained for the ministry or full time Christian service. So here's the question.... is that really biblical, or is it biblical to go through training at a good local church(assuming that both the college and church are lined up biblically with doctrine etc)?

In Christ,

Crys

2 Cor 12:9-10

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Here are the biblical qualifications of a oversear..Bishop, Minister, elder deacon, etc.

This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop,[a] he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

As far as training and skills this simply says he must be able to teach, and he must not be a novice or new believer. The rest are more personal qualifcations of the man chosen to be a minister.

So I think either option you mentioned would be fine, the important thing is the result, what kind of a minister do they produce?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

To me, becoming part of a ministry requires the closest walk with the Lord that we can possibly have. When Jesus spoke these words:

John 14:26

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

He was talking to those who walked beside Him, not to the crowds that followed Him. We need to have such a relationship with Him that we hear His voice through His Spirit. This is a must whether or not you go to Bible College.

In His Love,

OneLight

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'd say it depends on what ministry you wish to be a part of ans what you desire to do with it.

Some positions require a Bible degree.

But if you want to be a missionary, you are better off obtaining a skill that can be utilized in the mission field, so long as you have good recommendations from your pastor and such.

Do you know what it is you want to do? If so, find out what they require.

If not, well, what do you have in mind?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Bible colleges produce "cookie-cutter' pastors who mostly follow the same routines. They teach them how to talk, how to study, what to preach about, and what routines are most effective. Give me a man with the God-given gifts of pastoring and teaching anyday.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I agree with one light and small cald. There maybe a time coming when this world won't recgonize degrees for Christians period. :blink:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/26/1976

Bible colleges produce "cookie-cutter' pastors who mostly follow the same routines. They teach them how to talk, how to study, what to preach about, and what routines are most effective. Give me a man with the God-given gifts of pastoring and teaching anyday.

I'd say that of necessity depends entirely on the college and cannot be reasonably used to describe all colleges. I certainly know colleges of which that is absolutely not true. I haven't been to them - I've merely had plenty of occasion to view their output.

I think the best training that I've seen is a combination of being firmly routed and strongly involved in a local church while also being strongly Biblically grounded through a college.

Edited by Jonny_NZ

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

There are many ways of entering into ministry, but as Nebula pointed out, you have be certain which ministry you wish to get involved with, depending on age, gender, full time, part time teaching, preaching, evangelism and the list goes on.

You will have to be a bit more specifc I'm afraid.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

I'd say that of necessity depends entirely on the college and cannot be reasonably used to describe all colleges. I certainly know colleges of which that is absolutely not true. I haven't been to them - I've merely had plenty of occasion to view their output.

I think the best training that I've seen is a combination of being firmly routed and strongly involved in a local church while also being strongly Biblically grounded through a college.

I agree here. I think a GOOD Bible college where men of God share both their knowledge and their experience as well as working with a good pastor in a local church setting is the best means of preparing for ministry.

Even those who are going into a ministry where they may not be the 'preacher' need to have a firm grasp on sound doctrine that they may be able "to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you."

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.