• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

I thought eternal life was reward enough, but I thought I heard about rewards in the past-

8The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

Just wondering if Paul's saying what Jesus said earlier, or knew this some other way.

Maybe it refers to how we lived on earth affecting rewards in heaven, or general salvation... Not sure. Thanks for any tips-

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

All Scripture is God-breathed (2 Timothy 3:16-17). All the writers of Scripture were guided by the Holy Spirit. According to Scripture, all will be rewarded according to works, motivated by faith and faithfulness to service. (Matthew 16:27, Romans 14:10-11, 2 Corinthians 5:10 and also verses 8-15 of chapter 3 in 1 Corinthians.) Our works should be motivated by our love of Christ to further His Kingdom, not out of selfish gain.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Amen to what glorywatch said. Also, don't forget what it says in James 1 about being a doer of the word and not a hearer only. :emot-highfive:

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

I thought eternal life was reward enough, but I thought I heard about rewards in the past-

8The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

Just wondering if Paul's saying what Jesus said earlier, or knew this some other way.

Maybe it refers to how we lived on earth affecting rewards in heaven, or general salvation... Not sure. Thanks for any tips-

Hi Jeffnevins.

Scripture teaches that there will be degrees of rewards in Heaven as well as degrees of punishments in Hell.

Jesus taught that it will be more tolerable for some in the day of judgment than for others (Matt. 11:20-24).; that some will be found to be twofold more a child of hell than others, and will recieve GREATER DAMNATION" (Matt. 23:14-15); and that every man will be judged according to their works (Matt. 10:41-42; 16:27; Rom. 14:10-12; 2 Cor. 5:10-11; Rev. 22:12).

Haz.

• Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Hi Jeffnevins.

Scripture teaches that there will be degrees of rewards in Heaven as well as degrees of punishments in Hell.

Jesus taught that it will be more tolerable for some in the day of judgment than for others (Matt. 11:20-24).; that some will be found to be twofold more a child of hell than others, and will recieve GREATER DAMNATION" (Matt. 23:14-15); and that every man will be judged according to their works (Matt. 10:41-42; 16:27; Rom. 14:10-12; 2 Cor. 5:10-11; Rev. 22:12).

Haz.

That's it. It makes more sense now. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Response by larry2 - I like what Hazard said in saying as there is different degrees of punishment at judgment, there are different rewards.

In 1 Corinthians there is an admonition to the brethren as to how their works are counted. First Paul cautions them for having divisions among themselves such as Assemblies of God, Baptist, Catholic, -- Oops - I mean one says he is of Paul, another of Appolos. Gotta watch myself.

Then Paul goes on to warn them about building works on anything other that the Rock, that Foundation Christ Jesus. Paul mentions grace of God involved here, and if we build anything it is by grace of God given unto us; not works of righteousness we have done, but built upon the work He has done. If then we have builded works pleasing to God it is graded as gold, silver, and precious stones. If our works are not acceptable they are as wood, hay and stubble and will be burned and we'll receive nothing for those. The fire declares or tries the works as to their value. Then if your works survive the fire you have a reward; this is not talking about your eternal salvation, but your works. If your works are burned you shall suffer loss, though still be saved.

What are some of the rewards? Different crowns, different promises of ruling and reigning with Christ, various promises of deliverance from tribulation depending upon your walk with Him now, etc. In Revelation 19:7-8 talking of the bride of Christ we read; "And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness (righteous acts or deeds) of saints." This position with christ as His bride was certainly a reward for works as gold, silver, and precious stones.

Hope I made sense to you in Jesus' name - larry2

i like this, larry, but i think motives are also involved in our works being wood hay or stubble. if i teach sunday school because that is kudos for me in the eyes of others or i teach it because i want to pat myself on the back for my works, or even if i teach it because i can't say no to someone who asks, will i recieve rewards for it? the work is good. the work is for God. and paul rejoiced that Christ was preached even when the motives were bad. but would this not be what Jesus talked about in Matt 6 about the pharisees already having there reward? im thinking it would.

Quoting Charitow - i like this, larry, but i think motives are also involved in our works being wood hay or stubble.

Response by larry2 - Exactly, our motives of working with the Lord in His will must always be based on whether we do our works upon What Christ did, and not something we think we want to do.

Quoting Charitow - paul rejoiced that Christ was preached even when the motives were bad. but would this not be what Jesus talked about in Matt 6 about the pharisees already having there reward? im thinking it would.

Response by larry2 - It would be if not for the word "Brethren" in verse one. Those that Jesus talked about in Matthew were not brethren and the only reward they will ever have is before man. Jesus was talking of them as hypocrites in the synagogues. Or works of righteousness is as you said above; do I do it for personal kudos? No, we always want to build on the only foundation. When Paul in Philippians 1:18 said, "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice." This did not mean those preaching in pretence would receive any more reward than those of Matthew Chapter 6, but Paul knew if any of the word got out, it promoted our Savior.

In Jesus - larry2

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

What are some of the rewards? Different crowns, different promises of ruling and reigning with Christ, various promises of deliverance from tribulation depending upon your walk with Him now, etc. In Revelation 19:7-8 talking of the bride of Christ we read; "And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness (righteous acts or deeds) of saints." This position with christ as His bride was certainly a reward for works as gold, silver, and precious stones.

I agree with what you had said up to this point. Yes, we will have different rewards, but there will be no need for any deliverance from tribulation. Let me show you why.

1 Corinthians 3:5-15

Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

For we are God

I agree with what you had said up to this point. Yes, we will have different rewards, but there will be no need for any deliverance from tribulation. Let me show you why.

1 Corinthians 3:5-15

Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

For we are God

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Dear OneLight, I submit the following for you to examine as to the difference we are seeing in Revelation 19:8.

Next you said there is no deliverance from tribulation as a reward and I must ask if you're familiar with the judgment of the seven churches of Revelation Chapters two & three?

Dear Larry2,

I appreciate all the work you have done to bring you point forward, but when our "works" are to be tested by fire, this will be done after we are with Him, not before, so there will be no tribulation to go through. We will be with Him, already departed from this life.

God Bless,

OneLight