• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

As we all know that it is illegal just about everywhere to sell or supply alcohol to minors, and as we all know, some parents drink, and as we all know, you dont hide drinking from your children and as we all know that drinking itself is not a sin...Other than being bossy, what exactly is being accomplished here?

A parent who would supply booze to their kid isn't gonna do it in the isles of a supermarket. They will do so at home or out of the public eye. They could come along without their child and then go home and give it to them, nobody is stopping anything by making them do it without their child in tow.

All you are doing is forcing the parent to, if they chose to drink, make an extra trip. Well, most likely they will stop using the place and go somewhere else more convenient. Who knows, maybe they will go to a liquor store and get their booze there, and maybe buy more than they normally would because that's all that is on offer, as opposed to Tesco where they can get soda and tea.

And your not making drinking less glamorous, you are making it more mysterious, by taking out of the mainstream of the child's life (if the parents drink, the kids know, even if they never see it). You're not protecting them from anything.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I have read several stories about this store's tight stance on alcohol in the last couple of years. If they are so concerned about minors consuming alcohol, it seems to me the thing for this store to do is to stop selling it altogether, perhaps opening separate stores where minors aren't allowed in for this purpose. :cool:

(edited for faulty word usage)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/13/1987

when i was a minor, i bought alcohol at tesco's i have never once been IDed

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I have read several stories about this store's tight stance on alcohol in the last couple of years. If they are so concerned about minors consuming alcohol, it seems to me the thing for this store to do is to stop selling it altogether, perhaps opening separate stores altogether where minors aren't allowed in for this purpose. :emot-hug:

This would be the practical option, if they are so upset about parents and children together buying in their stores, just get rid of it altogether. Much easier to deal with. But most likely alcohol is too much of sell to stop selling it.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/17/1986

Hey all, I can relate to this not on the bases of buying the alcohol but on the cashier having to stop things like this from happening. I work in retail in a Wal Mart, as a cashier we have to ID you if you looking 40 or under and let me tell you tell age is hard :thumbsup:. When we are trained if the customer has there own kids with them its fine but anyone else kids we can't. There have been many cases of people getting mad at me. I understand on both side of why people are having a hard time with this.

There have been in a couple cases to where a parent would come in and stand in line and I hear the "teenager" say I don't like that one and the parents say go back and get a different one for "me"........

I have to tell you its hard to make judgment calls, sometimes I do have to wonder......

But I pray that the Lord would give wisdom to those that have to make those calls.

Guest Biblicist
I have read several stories about this store's tight stance on alcohol in the last couple of years. If they are so concerned about minors consuming alcohol, it seems to me the thing for this store to do is to stop selling it altogether, perhaps opening separate stores where minors aren't allowed in for this purpose. :thumbsup:

A voice of reason!! :emot-hug:

i'm with those who say tesco should just quit selling it altogether. the fact that they are discriminating against parents, to me, is plumb stoopid, and if they continue that practice, i hope they go out of business! either quit selling it or quit discriminating. one or the other.

i'm quite certain that they will not just lose alcohol sales, they'll lose thousands of customers who buy their groceries there. i've never been to a tesco, but if there were one nearby, i'd avoid their store now on principal alone... even though we hardly ever buy any alcohol at all, and we have no minor children.

I have read several stories about this store's tight stance on alcohol in the last couple of years. If they are so concerned about minors consuming alcohol, it seems to me the thing for this store to do is to stop selling it altogether, perhaps opening separate stores where minors aren't allowed in for this purpose. :thumbsup:

A voice of reason!! :emot-hug:

Ummmm...I don't think that is the voice of reason. It was tried and it failed miserably. It only proliferated crime and violence.

bib and QM weren't talking about a prohibition. the comment was about that one store changing it's policy to not carry alcoholic beverages.

i remember the days when target used to carry alcohol and cigarettes. i'm not sure if they quit selling beer, but i do know they quit selling cigarettes 15 or more years ago, and i THINK they quit carrying alcohol as well.

Guest Biblicist
I have read several stories about this store's tight stance on alcohol in the last couple of years. If they are so concerned about minors consuming alcohol, it seems to me the thing for this store to do is to stop selling it altogether, perhaps opening separate stores where minors aren't allowed in for this purpose. :emot-hug:

A voice of reason!! :20:

Ummmm...I don't think that is the voice of reason. It was tried and it failed miserably. It only proliferated crime and violence.

bib and QM weren't talking about a prohibition. the comment was about that one store changing it's policy to not carry alcoholic beverages.

i remember the days when target used to carry alcohol and cigarettes. i'm not sure if they quit selling beer, but i do know they quit selling cigarettes 15 or more years ago, and i THINK they quit carrying alcohol as well.

:20: prohibition!

I know that Target does not sell alcohol anymore, I had to go elsewhere. :thumbsup:

The store should change their polocy, LadyC is right. They are discriminating against parents, and JUDGING them and their practices in their own homes. It is so wrong to automatically assume that a person is giving alcohol to their children, just because they buy it when their child is with them. Honestly!!

As a side note about Prohibition...My son and I went to Chicago early this school year and we went on the Untouchables Tour, very good by the way. Know what they attribute prohibition to?

Women voting!

The first thing they voted for was an end to the sales of alchohol so their husbands would come home, instead of going to the bars every night.

:emot-hug::emot-hug::emot-hug: