IGNORED

The Drug Free Families Act of 2008

Rick-Parker

Drug Testing  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should families receiving welfare have to drug test?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  4.97
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) introduced a bill that would amend the Social Security Act to require States to implement a drug testing program for applicants for and recipients of assistance under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. If an applicant fails a drug test, or was convicted of a drug related crime they can be denied aid. Also, states would be allowed to require random or set time drug tests. A person can be permanently denied aid if they fail three drug tests or receive three drug related convictions. Read the details of the bill.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Makes sense to me.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/06/1990

I voted yes, but I feel bad for those who are on drugs.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I have mixed feelings.

I do believe that if someone who is on welfare gets convicted of a drug related crime while they are already on it they should have to have regular drug testing.

But...

It is the kids who suffer when those programs are removed. You have an awfully hard time here getting on TANF, you have to have children and be looking for work and ... etc. It might be possible to give the programs in a form which could not be used to purchase drugs, I would rather them do this...direct payments to utilities, rent, store cards, you know, like wic is done and like EBT is done.

It's not necessary to punish the children for their parents problems. Now if they took the kids, then they could take the bennies, no problems.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I have mixed feelings.

I do believe that if someone who is on welfare gets convicted of a drug related crime while they are already on it they should have to have regular drug testing.

But...

It is the kids who suffer when those programs are removed. You have an awfully hard time here getting on TANF, you have to have children and be looking for work and ... etc. It might be possible to give the programs in a form which could not be used to purchase drugs, I would rather them do this...direct payments to utilities, rent, store cards, you know, like wic is done and like EBT is done.

It's not necessary to punish the children for their parents problems. Now if they took the kids, then they could take the bennies, no problems.

Yes...it is unfortunate for the kids, but by allowing these people to partake in these social programs we are basically keeping the kids in a negative environment. If someone fails a drug test 3 times they should lose more than the welfare benefits...they should lose parental benefits. We should send the message loud and clear that if you use illegal drugs you are going to lose out BIG TIME!

Here's an idea...if a person does fail the drug test 3 times...take their kids away and put ALL the welfare money the parent would have gotten towards raising the kids.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I voted no.

I have several major reasons for doing so.

1.) Cost. Welfare programs are already poorly run and relatively inefficient, they do not have close to the ability or funding to now run drug tests, which of course would be challenged and so forth. So if you want to massively increase the costs of welfare than you should include this.

2.) Would it really include everyone who gets welfare? Well let

Drug tests cost about $25 and are done by independent labs so most of the concerns about the reliability of the testing can be alleviated.

edit: and I am on Social Security Disability and if I was using the money to but drugs, then I don't deserve the money.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) introduced a bill that would amend the Social Security Act to require States to implement a drug testing program for applicants for and recipients of assistance under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. If an applicant fails a drug test, or was convicted of a drug related crime they can be denied aid. Also, states would be allowed to require random or set time drug tests. A person can be permanently denied aid if they fail three drug tests or receive three drug related convictions. Read the details of the bill.

As a Republican, what is Vitter's position if the applicant is convicted of

- obstruction of justice

- perjury

- making false statements to federal investigators

Can those who have been "permanently denied aid if they fail three drug tests or receive three drug related convictions" also expect to receive a "Grant of Executive Clemency?"

Given that Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a former Republican appointee in the White House and convicted felon, has already received his presidential "Grant of Executive Clemency" and will be eligible to have his license to practice law reinstated in 2012, doesn't a decision of "permanently denied aid" appear to be in the word(s) of President Bush - "excessive."

It should also be noted that Libby was found guilty of not just 3, but 5 related federal convictions.

Edited by jgarden

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

But where would all of those people do the test? Would they do it in the welfare office, a hospital, who would monitor it, who would send off the samples and control them? How many people would we have to hire to run the testing program, following the people around, doing the paperwork on each test and so forth?

It just seems like a nightmare. I agree that we don't want people doing drugs who get public assistance, but how about alcohol and ciggs? It just seems like a rat hole to me. I would rather deny Medicaid to people who smoke, which can be tested relatively accurately today.

As a Republican, what is Vitter's position if the applicant is convicted of

- obstruction of justice

- perjury

- making false statements to federal investigators

Can those who have been "permanently denied aid if they fail three drug tests or receive three drug related convictions" also expect to receive a "Grant of Executive Clemency."

Given that Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a former Republican appointee in the White House and convicted felon, has already received his presidential "Grant of Executive Clemency" and will be eligible to have his license to practice law reinstated in 2012, doesn't a decision of "permanently denied aid" appear to be in the word(s) of President Bush - "excessive."

Obstruction and perjury are not drug offenses and irrelevant to this discussion. There are laws on the books that exclude convicted drug users and dealers from public housing already and have been there for years. And they are working well, changing (most) public housing projects from war zones into habitable areas where parents can raise their children without fear of shootings and murder. You are trying to turn this into a partisan deal, when it is a bipartisan health and welfare issue. Why must we help those who use and abuse the good will that is provided them. You say for the kids; they are not getting the benefit of the money that is used for drugs. I am astonished that some are so bent on the welfare state that it doesn't matter how the money is spent as long as it is free! (Except for those who actually work and pay taxes.)