IGNORED

Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized be a Christian?

Mudcat

Christians and Baptism.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized, be a Christian?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe or Other...Please explain.
  2. 2. Does it matter who baptizes a Christian?

• Yes. If so, then who must do it.
    • No.
  3. 3. Does it matter what words are spoken at baptism.

• Yes. The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.
    • Yes. In the Name of Jesus Christ.
    • No.

I see one of the poll questions as quite redundant. Father is a title not a name, Son is a title not a name, and Holy Spirit is also a title. Jesus is the only name given. So being baptised in the name (note.....singular) of the Father Son and Holy Spirit is being baptised in Jesus name. There is no difference between the two.

The Trinity debate is in the other thread. But one thing that clearly stands out in Scripture is that Holy Spirit is a name not just a title.

:cool::):emot-heartbeat:

3 funnies for you Smiles.

edit add....

and with that post, I have become a Junior Member

Yes.......now I am a dangerous man. I suppose you folks will have to take me a bit more seriously now.

Me being a Junior Member and all.

BTW, Do I get pick which color my decoder ring will be?

I don't know of any decoder ring, but now you can join the heated debates in the controversial section. :laugh:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

...not sure if you really want to join them. They raise blood pressure. :cool:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I see one of the poll questions as quite redundant. Father is a title not a name, Son is a title not a name, and Holy Spirit is also a title. Jesus is the only name given. So being baptised in the name (note.....singular) of the Father Son and Holy Spirit is being baptised in Jesus name. There is no difference between the two.

The Trinity debate is in the other thread. But one thing that clearly stands out in Scripture is that Holy Spirit is a name not just a title.

I do not debate the trinity.....We serve a triune God. And could you show me where the Holy Spirit is used as a name? Sounds to me if each was an individual name that you would be baptised into 3 different gods. God is 3 in one......also why does scripture in one place the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit (one name of course), and in another in Jesus name? Obviously all are the same. the Bible seems quite clear on that.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I suppose I have wondered why Jesus didn't just tell the apostles to baptize in "Jesus" name instead of going to the trouble of making it a rather confusing issue for a lot of Christians?

What do you think?

The expression, "to do in [a person's] name," is not a catch-phrase but an action. In Hebrew culture, this expression means you act in the place of another, you do as this person would do.

John 5:43 - I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

my question is who baptized john the baptist? :laugh:

....and was he baptized? he said he had need of Jesus to baptize him! :thumbsup:

i voted that the words don't matter, but now im having second thoughts. matt 28:19 go ye therefore and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. isn't that telling us the words to speak for baptizing?

The name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is Jesus, and in the name of Jesus is how the Apostles baptized their converts.

You got THAT right. :emot-handshake:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

God will judge disobedience, and He will not bless those who live in willful disobedience, to be sure. But God has far more at his disposal than taking away a person's salvation. :laugh:

He expects us to be baptized and I have never heard of any genuine Christian who had any kind of moral objection to baptism. I think it is one of those unlikely scenarios, to be honest.

Its not the same as someone who say, nearly drowned as a child and now has a phobia of bodies of water.

I have encountered a few who do not want to be baptized. Their objections usually are to the idea of being baptized into a church. Altho one person just didnt want to be baptized where the opposite gender might see her (strict orthodox background on her). When possible, I try and explain that while baptism isnt mandatory for salvation, it is however something Jesus told us to do, and something that one should do to be in obedience to Him.

Something that irks me is when a church insists that you have to take classes and wait 3 months to be baptized. That seems to me to bypass how it was done in the bible. If someone is a believer, and is led to be baptized, it should just happen, not be a major production with a time delay.

I do not debate the trinity.....We serve a triune God. And could you show me where the Holy Spirit is used as a name? Sounds to me if each was an individual name that you would be baptised into 3 different gods. God is 3 in one......also why does scripture in one place the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit (one name of course), and in another in Jesus name? Obviously all are the same. the Bible seems quite clear on that.

Ok you had me scared for a minute.

What I meant by Holy Spirit being a name, is God the Father has many 'titles', and Jesus is called Christ, Lord, redeemer, saviour etc. But when I think of references to the Spirit, I remember Comforter, Guide, and Holy Spirit. So I think of Holy Spirit being His name, just as Christ Jesus is the Son's name. But I totally agree God is triune.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

edit add....

Yes.......now I am a dangerous man. I suppose you folks will have to take me a bit more seriously now.

You have to see ted for that. What he charges you depends on his mood at the time.

(Im just kidding folks)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

edit add....

You have to see ted for that. What he charges you depends on his mood at the time.

(Im just kidding folks)

Oh, hmmm...mood rings... they are on the occult list! :laugh::laugh:

edit add....

(Im just kidding folks)

Oh, hmmm...mood rings... they are on the occult list! :laugh::laugh:

O.O What about my membership card from Roger's Video? It is called a "mood" card. :laugh: