IGNORED

The divorce and remarriage question

KC02

Remarriage evil when:  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Can Christians remarry and be blameless?

• OK if one partner committed fornication
    • OK if the an unbelieving partner leaves
    • Ok if there are violence/abuse involved
    • OK only to stay single after divorce
    • OK to divorce/remarry for "any cause"
    • Ok only to stick it out since we have an almighty God
    • Only ok in case of a death to a spouse

Guest HIS girl
The Bible says the only reason for divorce is if your spouse commits adultery. However it does not say you could remarry. The only reasons to remarry that the Bible gives is #1 if your spouse dies or #2 if the unbelieving spouse leaves the believing spouse, in this case the believing spouse is freed from the law of marriage just as if the unbelieving spouse that left was dead.

A side note it is not O.K. to leave your spouse because they are an unbeliever, only if they leave you are you free from the law of marriage.

If scriptures are needed ask and I will provide them :thumbsup:

Well, my situation is I was convicted by God not only that my "living together" was sinful BUT the man was also NOT the right man for me. So it was a double conviction. I did not part ways because he was an unbeliever..I simply obeyed God.

The ex-partner was an alcoholic, physically/mentally abusive, hard core atheist who would mock my Faith and slammed down my Bible once in front of our 4 boys when they were smaller and screamed I had to make a choice between God OR him....

My boys witnessed many things at the hands of their father.

It wasn't a selfish on the spur of the moment whim that I parted ways with him, please understand that..I was obedient to God FIRST and FOREMOST.

From your post it seems like you were not yet married to him? If you were not married and he was an unbeliever you should have left even if he was not abusive.

We got together in '91 BEFORE I was Saved. I was Saved in 2001 and parted ways in 2003.

For 2 years I struggled with the notion of living with him DESPITE Christian women telling me in God's eyes we were MARRIED. I did not agree with them...do you see now that God convicted me it was wrong in the MIDST of Christians telling me it was ok? I was obedient to God.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all, I am new here. It breaks my heart to see people who have been abused in a marriage, get a necessary divorce, and now think that they are cut off from a future healthy marriage for the rest of their lives. This never seemed to me to be something a loving God would burden His people with. I have recently read a work of Steven Jones about marriage and divorce. I feel that this man proves through the Old Testament laws and applying it correctly to New Testament scriptures on marriage, that remarriage after divorce is not a sin. This writing of Steven Jones is so incredibly freeing and I am sure it will be for anyone who reads it.

Click Here http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.org/COL...ter.cfm?CID=197

Guest HIS girl
The Bible says the only reason for divorce is if your spouse commits adultery. However it does not say you could remarry. The only reasons to remarry that the Bible gives is #1 if your spouse dies or #2 if the unbelieving spouse leaves the believing spouse, in this case the believing spouse is freed from the law of marriage just as if the unbelieving spouse that left was dead.

A side note it is not O.K. to leave your spouse because they are an unbeliever, only if they leave you are you free from the law of marriage.

If scriptures are needed ask and I will provide them :thumbsup:

Well, my situation is I was convicted by God not only that my "living together" was sinful BUT the man was also NOT the right man for me. So it was a double conviction. I did not part ways because he was an unbeliever..I simply obeyed God.

The ex-partner was an alcoholic, physically/mentally abusive, hard core atheist who would mock my Faith and slammed down my Bible once in front of our 4 boys when they were smaller and screamed I had to make a choice between God OR him....

My boys witnessed many things at the hands of their father.

It wasn't a selfish on the spur of the moment whim that I parted ways with him, please understand that..I was obedient to God FIRST and FOREMOST.

From your post it seems like you were not yet married to him? If you were not married and he was an unbeliever you should have left even if he was not abusive.

We got together in '91 BEFORE I was Saved. I was Saved in 2001 and parted ways in 2003.

For 2 years I struggled with the notion of living with him DESPITE Christian women telling me in God's eyes we were MARRIED. I did not agree with them...do you see now that God convicted me it was wrong in the MIDST of Christians telling me it was ok? I was obedient to God.

I think that is good, those ''christian friends'' were doing you no favor telling you living with a man outside of marriage is O.K.

If you were never married then you never got divorced. In my opinion your sin is forgiving and you are free to marry whomever you choose.

Yes their advice was in error. Their reasoning for it was that we had children together. That was the basis of their belief. WRONG.

I believe as well, that I am free to marry.

Guest HIS girl
Hi all, I am new here. It breaks my heart to see people who have been abused in a marriage, get a necessary divorce, and now think that they are cut off from a future healthy marriage for the rest of their lives. This never seemed to me to be something a loving God would burden His people with. I have recently read a work of Steven Jones about marriage and divorce. I feel that this man proves through the Old Testament laws and applying it correctly to New Testament scriptures on marriage, that remarriage after divorce is not a sin. This writing of Steven Jones is so incredibly freeing and I am sure it will be for anyone who reads it.

Thankyou for that Nicole : )

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

This has been my interpretation as well, stemming from the fact "putting away" and "divorce" are two different terms. It's good to see an indepth study on this.

Guest HIS girl

Jesus showed Mercy twice to women who in that day should have payed a dear price...the woman caught in the ACT of adultery (John 8 v3) and the Samaritan woman living in sin with a man (John 4 v 18).

The same Jesuswho forgave them - whose Word is Truth, has shown ME this same Mercy as well!! :thumbsup:

nicole, great study! thanks for posting the link. it was the same conclusion i have come to from my study of scriptures, but was much more in depth than my own studies.

i thank God i am under His grace and not under man's judgment.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I'm glad you brought this up!

Anyone? Silence? Wow!

It proves that not all conservative religious teachings hold water. Now stop picking on me for being left of center :thumbsup:

The old conservative church I went to 15 years ago has since changed it's viewpoint and now allows couples what have been remarried to become members. But some pastors still hold to the old doctrine. That is hillbilly doctrine.

The way I see it, yes we do get a second chance when we are born again. God can't remember our past sins because they are simply gone.

(Rom 8:1 [KJV])

[There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

and what does the scripture say regarding forgiveness? are we bound by our past sin forever? or does God restore the divorcee just as He restores any other sinner? does "i will remember your sin no more" only apply to those who have not been divorced? just curious as to your take on those questions.