• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

I have just completed reading The Shack.

I know several friends that have read this book and suggested I read it. Most of them have read it twice. I was on the first page, third paragraph in the Forward and I knew I would read it again lol.

I have talked to several who say it is not a good book, it is this and that, whatever (and these are people that have not read the book).

It is a work of fiction, period, but it also makes one think. The applications draw close to your mind and soul. Near the end, I knew exactly where this book was going, I had the author figured out, and I was completely wrong lol.

Again, it is a work of fiction, but the Bible.

Somewhere on this thread it was mention New Age. Don't know where that came from, has nothing to do with New Age whatsoever. The I Am comment, that is God, Jesus; it is all through the Bible.

Anyone that has read the Left Behind books, can surely get through The Shack :horse:

I also have read the Shack and I found nothing like what I was told or read about it. I even read one review that said that the main charactor cused God out and I didn't find that iether. The book might be fictional but it has some great insights into how God operates.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I was given the book for Christmas, and was pleasantly surprised by it.

I did not find any New Age element to it whatsoever, nor did I find it in any way distracted from the Scriptures.

Yes there are some surprising elements in it such as G-d the Father portrayed as a woman, always cooking and baking...but overall the author has used his story to demonstrate the interaction, unity and fellowship of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in such a warm-hearted and un-religious manner that kicks stuffy churcheology into orbit and forces you to laugh and smile again and again because it truly demonstates a dynamic about G-d that some only glimpse once in a while.

When you consider that the theme and subject of the book is how this man can come to terms with the abduction and murder of one of his children when he has so much pain, anger and unanswered questions in him...then the author has accomplished a remarkable feat of literary engineering that is poignant and heart-warming and even causes you to look at Scripture and your relationship with G-d from a fresh perspective.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but especially to any Believer that might be hurting a bit inside or just needs something fresh from G-d to touch their heart and rekindle the joy of their salvation.

In Messiah. Botz

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

hmmm.... I had never considered reading it until your commentary, Botz. Actually, I've heard little about it even.

Based on your words, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks, brother. :horse:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

here is a quote from "the Shack":

"Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims.... I have no desire to make them Christian, but I do want to join them in their transformation into sons and daughters of my Papa, into my brothers and sisters"

you guys find nothing wrong with this? you see no contradiction with the Bible in that statement? "Every system" doesn't ring any kind of bell with you guys?

this book is decieving new-age trash. just because it gives you warm fuzzy feelings doesn't make it good.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I picked it up again in the bookstore the last time I was there and just got a 'yucky spirit feel' about it.

I guess I would have to ask if Jesus would read it. If not, then there's a reason. My answer would be no.

To me it's like a harry potter book for christians. Looks harmless on the outside, same as harry potter does to the secular world (and some christians) but really isn't.

I would recommend asking God whether you should read it or not. I wouldn't touch it.

Edited by yesult

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I picked it up again in the bookstore the last time I was there and just got a 'yucky spirit feel' about it.

I guess I would have to ask if Jesus would read it. If not, then there's a reason. My answer would be no.

To me it's like a harry potter book for christians. Looks harmless on the outside, same as harry potter does to the secular world (and some christians) but really isn't.

I would recommend asking God whether you should read it or not. I wouldn't touch it.

right on, Yesult. i praise God for your discernment. the shack is POISON.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  1

"Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims.... I have no desire to make them Christian, but I do want to join them in their transformation into sons and daughters of my Papa, into my brothers and sisters"

you guys find nothing wrong with this? you see no contradiction with the Bible in that statement? "Every system" doesn't ring any kind of bell with you guys?

this book is decieving new-age trash. just because it gives you warm fuzzy feelings doesn't make it good.

It depends on how you read the statement. If the character was saying that they were saved through being Buddhist, Baptist etc, of course it would be incorrect. But it is true that God is calling people out of all systems (including some that call themselves "Christian" but really are not) to a real relationship with Him through Jesus. It is not the label, or denomination, or the name Christian that saves people. it is comeing to a life- changing relationship with Jesus.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  1

Could you give me the page number on those (or at least the chapter). I would like to read them in context

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

The book is fiction. The book is a story.

You have to read the entire book, not pick and choose a couple words.

I mentioned previously, about people that pick this book apart that never read it. Of course, folks do that with most books, TV programs and other things from time to time. :whistling:

Again, either read it or don't. But please, if you do read it, give it a chance. You have no idea where it is really going. I do know I will read it the second time, to review some of the things that "happened" in the book.

And again, it is a work of fiction.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/21/1957

The book is fiction. The book is a story.

You have to read the entire book, not pick and choose a couple words.

I mentioned previously, about people that pick this book apart that never read it. Of course, folks do that with most books, TV programs and other things from time to time. :whistling:

Again, either read it or don't. But please, if you do read it, give it a chance. You have no idea where it is really going. I do know I will read it the second time, to review some of the things that "happened" in the book.

And again, it is a work of fiction.

I thot it was good!

Especially the part"He is especially fond of you".....That was coool...

After reading this, I felt good! I felt good about reading a Godly type of book....Alot different than stephen King or Dean Koontz..And, there are answers to many peioples questions as to "Why" God lets things happen... However, I do realize this is a work of fiction.

New Age...Thats silliness...The way I immediately interpreted this book was this........In my words.."If God can talk thru a mule to get somebodys attention, He can surely talk thru a book of fiction to get His love acknowledged".

your friend,

john