Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Presidents long have used executive orders to impose policy and set priorities. One of Bush's first acts was to reinstate full abortion restrictions on U.S. overseas aid. The restrictions were first ordered by President Reagan and the first President Bush followed suit. President Clinton lifted them soon after he occupied the Oval Office and it wouldn't be surprising if Obama did the same.

Bush used his executive power to limit federal spending on embryonic stem cell research, a position championed by opponents of abortion rights who argue that destroying embryos is akin to killing a fetus. Obama has supported the research in an effort to find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's. Many moderate Republicans also support the research, giving it the stamp of bipartisanship.

On drilling, the federal Bureau of Land Management is opening about 360,000 acres of public land in Utah to oil and gas drilling. Bush administration officials argue that the drilling will not harm sensitive areas; environmentalists oppose it.

"They want to have oil and gas drilling in some of the most sensitive, fragile lands in Utah," Podesta said. "I think that's a mistake."

A couple of problems I have right away with this administration. Not the use of executive order since other presidents have used it, but reversing the restriction on abortion and his support of stem cell research which will use embryos. Im also not happy with the likelihood that he will reverse the drilling in the US. I know that many democrats are pushing the al gore global warming stuff. My state governor is on his transition team and she has been pushing to change energy use and sources in my state. In ways that are not good either. It is likely he will do the same.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

A couple of problems I have right away with this administration. Not the use of executive order since other presidents have used it, but reversing the restriction on abortion and his support of stem cell research which will use embryos. Im also not happy with the likelihood that he will reverse the drilling in the US. I know that many democrats are pushing the al gore global warming stuff. My state governor is on his transition team and she has been pushing to change energy use and sources in my state. In ways that are not good either. It is likely he will do the same.

We knew that as soon as he was elected, drilling would go out the window, even tho he flip flopped and acted like he was for it, even tho he had to be dragged kicking and screaming.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

We knew that as soon as he was elected, drilling would go out the window, even tho he flip flopped and acted like he was for it, even tho he had to be dragged kicking and screaming.

All I ever heard him say was that he would look into increasing the activity of domestic drilling. Language used to appease both sides.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Bush used his executive power to limit federal spending on embryonic stem cell research, a position championed by opponents of abortion rights who argue that destroying embryos is akin to killing a fetus. Obama has supported the research in an effort to find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's. Many moderate Republicans also support the research, giving it the stamp of bipartisanship.

destroy a life to save a life.

yes we can.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

How much damage can he do using executive orders? Is there a limit?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

We need to pray about the abortion restrictions. Our nation is entering an expanded era of death and eugenics via this president.

As far as drilling goes, we need to save our reserves and keep our land unspoiled. Even though we think we "need" oil prices lowered right now, what we really need is to learn not to waste energy (among other things) as a nation. We should only drill if the reserves are absolutely necessary for an emergency (in case of war, etc.) Even our Grandparents knew how to conserve their energy resources better than we do even though their energy costs were pennies compared to ours.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

destroy a life to save a life.

yes we can.

Im hoping I am misunderstanding this.

Ez, do you think its ok to kill a baby in order to save an adult through stem cell research? Do you truly believe that God would approve of this?

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

We need to pray about the abortion restrictions. Our nation is entering an expanded era of death and eugenics via this president.

As far as drilling goes, we need to save our reserves and keep our land unspoiled. Even though we think we "need" oil prices lowered right now, what we really need is to learn not to waste energy (among other things) as a nation. We should only drill if the reserves are absolutely necessary for an emergency (in case of war, etc.) Even our Grandparents knew how to conserve their energy resources better than we do even though their energy costs were pennies compared to ours.

How do you feel about the argument that we should decrease our dependence on foreign oil? Given we are forced to buy it from sources unfriendly to the US. Some of that money no doubtedly goes to fund terrorism.

I'm not dismissing your point. It is a good one. But where is the balance?