• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

I'm Tomass [alias....not fond of using my real name online]

I tried to post somewhere else but this seems to be the only place I can post so I may as well introduce myself;

Currently a university student working for a year - been a Christian since I was four. Love God, live for God.

I've been pondering a question for a while and found this place so thought I would ask your advice.

Poverty. The bible, again and again and again, encourages us to preach the good news to the poor and to look after their needs.

Matthew 11:5 (New International Version)

5The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[a]are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor

Matthew 19:21 (New International Version)

21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

Acts 10:5 (New International Version)

The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.

even this amazing statement to a hypocritical Pharisee!

Luke 11:39-41 (New International Version)

39Then the Lord said to him, "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? 41But give what is inside the dish [j] to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.

and not only that - it is considered sinful to not do it!

Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  871
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Hello and welcome to Worthy :whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,075
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Days Won:  3

Welcome :whistling:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Thomass,

My first suggestion to you would be to pray and ask God for direction in your giving and also that He would direct you to where you can be specifically involved, ie. hands-on connection, because this is obviously something that He is burdening you with to be directly involved.

It's for all Believers to be involved in some way in helping the poor and downtrodden, financially for sure.

It'll be exciting to see how and where He leads..

Hopefully you will keep us updated.

God Bless You! :whistling:

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

ohhh and besides which there are many reputable christian charities out there..

one thing we look for is a low overhead so that your money goes directly to the aid of where it's intended.

we currently are very involved with one such ministry that has no overhead actually; they choose to trust GOD to supply their needs, which this always has our number one vote.

just a few additional thoughts to steer you in the right direction..

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6

reminds me when Christ said they are like sheep without sheperd. now, toma if you loved Christ, then indeed He is your father. and should someone teach you ways to reach your father ? does not the father love his children and show them all things ? with your lips you call him father but dont truly believe He is your father indeed. Believe, and you will lead others into greater truth.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Praise the Lord , Welcome to Worthy.

Stay calm and let the Spirit guide you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hi and welcome, Tomass. It's nice to have you here.

Praying and asking for direction is a SURE way of finding out what you're supposed to do. Our Father knows EXACTLY where you need to serve, and how you'll be blest the most.

Hugs,

riel (reborn into eternal life)

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hey Tom... Welcome to Worthy...

Before you do anything Tom, I would suggest you learn a little more about Jesus and what (as well as who) He is...

Jesus is love, itself. Realizing Jesus gave only two commandments is a good place to start...

Your giving focuses on "what" to do, which is commendable, but giving in itself, misses the point. Jesus had some harsh words for the Pharisee's, sure. But what Jesus was saying to them was, "Go and love somebody, man! Go and love somebody!"

First off, if I were you, I'd want to know more about how to really "LOVE" everyone... Not the wishy-washy let's all sit and sing coom-bah-ya, but the real thing... When you really love someone, you don't ignore them when you pass each other on the street... When you really love someone, you WANT to help THEM, and you don't even really have to pray or ask Jesus about it much of the time. You don't have to ask Jesus how to love your girl do ya? Well, actually even that is a learning process, but you understand what I'm saying...

The best way to loose your mind in the love of God is to be better aware of how God loves you. That is the only key that will motivate you to "show God's love toward you", to others... As this knowledge and faith grows within you, every aspect of your life will be transformed, including your giving, and how's and why's may be totally different than the way you percieve them now...

So in short? I recommend you seek more knowledge of the Love of God toward you to begin with. This will give you all the answers you seek in this thread, and countless more in the other areas of your life.

This may seem so simple and hardly worthy of your notice, Tom... But rest assured, it is the most important thing you'll ever learn about giving, or anything else in your Christian walk...

God bless my friend...

Edited by Motivated By Grace

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  14
  • Birthday:  08/10/1983

Welcome to Worthy

Be Blessed and keep your eyes on the Lord