• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Not sure how you might consider it a revenge fantasy, Paul, especially not after reading Chilton.

It reads like an apocalypse written by a devout lifelong Jew who either witnessed or was familiar with what Titus and his legions had done in Jerusalem. That doesn't mean it is any less inspired or relevant.

Except that John would've been at Pella with the other Believers, so he would not have been a witness. What John saw was revealed to Hicm through the Holy Spirit by the Lord Jesus. All John had to do was remember the Old Testament figures.

Actually, John was using familiar images from the apocalyptic literature that came about during what we call the inter-testamentary period along with some of the Old Testament literature. That doesn't make it any less inspired, either.

Uh...not. There is no evidence that I am aware of that John used anything from Maccabees at all. All of the images in Revelation come from the Old Testament., from Deuteronomy, Daniel, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Isaiah and various other OT books. Why would the Holy Spirit use works of men when He had plenty of his own works to draw from? Sorry mate, I don't buy it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Sorry mate, I don't buy it.

That's okay. Just keep in mind that there was a lot more apocalyptic literature floating around than made it into the Apocrypha, the books of Enoch, for example. I think its more likely that John used images and allegories familiar to his audience; the inspiration of the Holy Spirit is evident in the way they were combined. Ultimately, Revelation is a message of hope.

Actually, Enoch I think would have made it into the canon if there had been enough of a manuscript available. Enoch is quoted (by Jude I believe) in the New Testament, which gives it some validity in my eyes. (The LORD will come with ten thousands of His saints.) Revelation is a book of hope, but also a book of victory. It reveals what Daniel was ordered to seal up.

I don't see any of Maccabees in Revelation, but I DO see Deuteronomy, and almost all of the major prophets.

John using the familiar images as a vocabulary; the inspiration is in the way he uses them.

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass;

Revelation 1:1(a-c)

>>>>>()<<<<<

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. Revelation 22:16-20