gypc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not exactly understanding the necessity to point out female disiciples. Isn't it obvious Christ had disciples (and still does) who are both genders, all races, all ages? The thing I think we're disagreeing on is the position of authority. "Disciple" literally means "follower". It does not mean a position of authority.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have a question for everyone here. Jesus chose his apostles (12) all men. Wouldn't you think that that would set a precedent here? The apostles were to teach (preach). Why didn't Jesus chose a woman too if He wanted women to preach. Maybe because our role is different, although no less important? Please keep comments kind because this is a real question in my mind.

Tess-

I was addressing this questiona nd nnot your. :)

Acts 18:24-28

Now a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man and mighty in the Scriptuers, came to Ephesus.

This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things of the Lord, though he knew only the baptism of John.

So he began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.

Here you see both husband and wife corrected this man. Would that not be a place of authority?

How can we say it is not okay for a woman to preach under a man or her husbands authority?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

I know I said I would leave this discussion, however I wanted to point something out.

Half of what has been brought up I already replied to earlier, along with God-man, and all of it was ignored. Please, look back, the answers have already been given.

Her leadership is never mentioned unless it is with her assumed husband Aquila. Likewise, she took on more of a servant role than she did a leadership role.

So you say she played a servant role when in fact the Word says they explained this to Apollos. So either you are adding to the Word or you are assuming based on your culture understanding of the time. Which you have already determined can not be used to interpret the Word.

So can we apply culture? Because if so we can apply it to Corinthains but if not then we can see here that Priscilla was in leadership with her husband to other men.

Her leadership is never mentioned unless it is with her assumed husband Aquila. Likewise, she took on more of a servant role than she did a leadership role.

So you say she played a servant role when in fact the Word says they explained this to Apollos. So either you are adding to the Word or you are assuming based on your culture understanding of the time. Which you have already determined can not be used to interpret the Word.

So can we apply culture? Because if so we can apply it to Corinthains but if not then we can see here that Priscilla was in leadership with her husband to other men.

And for what i actually said:

Her leadership is never mentioned unless it is with her assumed husband Aquila. Likewise, she took on more of a servant role than she did a leadership role. On top of that, you contradict yourself by saying that Paul used Priscilla for leadership yet later go on to say Paul did not use women in authority. So which is it?

and more importantly:

This doesn't mean she held authority over him. Notice how her husband is listed. It shows that there was a mentoring relationship going on. If Priscilla was the head of this mentoring relationship, it would have been innapropiate and left it open to an adulterous affair. It's no different than a young pastor gaining guidance under an older pastor and his wife. Right now I am poised to have an internship with one of my professors. He instructs me in many things, however his wife will also give me information that will be helpful in ministry. This does not mean that she holds authority over me but simply that God has given her insight.

But hey, let's go ahead and go deeper onto this issue, only so it can be ignored :)

When we read Acts 18:26 it shows that they merely explained the scriptures to him and took no authority over him. Thus, Priscilla, along with any other woman of the New Testamant, is never shown to have authority over men, whereas men are shown to have authority over a congregation. That is why it's terrible theology to justify female authority by using these narratives that no one really understands.

Now, I'm willing to opt out from here on out, however if you wish you can press the issue and we can go deeper into it.

They explained more accurately, that sound like a bit of correction to me.

And like I said, why would it be wrong if she is with and or under her husbands authority. This has never been addressed.

And still you are using culture to determine this. It clearly says they and the fact that she was even mentioned speaks very highly of her considering culture. I never said she was the authority, she is clearly covered by her husband. But she is an authority within the church. This man Apollos was teaching in the synagague, I think to explain ( correct ) someone who is teaching in a synagogue shows some sort of authority.

And how is it clear this is a mentoring relationship? It just simply gives their names. To me it sounds like two doing ministry together. And if he is mentoring, what would he be mentoring her to do when he is taking her to correct teachers in the synagogue?

They explained more accurately, that sound like a bit of correction to me.

And like I said, why would it be wrong if she is with and or under her husbands authority. This has never been addressed

Okay, let's address this part right here. You are asserting that simply by "correcting" they are in some way holding a position of authority over him. Let's examine this.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

thank you all for your response. But is it shown where these women actually went out teaching or preaching the word? Or does it show them in supportive roles. Remember back then men wwere noot so enlightened so to speak and a woman did not have much authority over her own life let alone others.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  706
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Tess,

I wrote so much more a moment ago, but my computer froze and I lost it all. the gist is, you are young. It is a good thing, but all the preparation in the the world could not get you totally ready for marriage. It is different than any relationship you will have in your entire life. I am still quite young, and I have been with my husband for 8 years, and married for 5. It is still a daily learning process to be married let alone a submitting wife.

I know that i am young, trust me .... how could I forget when the ppl on this site remind me of it almost daily? :) I do get what you're saying about marriage being unique and that I haven't experienced that yet. However, I disagree (to an extent) that it is not something you can prepare for. Of course, you can't be 100% prepared, but preparing for things (such as callings and destinies) is biblical. Much of the New Testament is for the purpose of equipping the saints. The primary role of parents is to train and prepare their kids for adulthood (which would hopefully include serving God and for some it will include marriage). What I was saying above is, though I don't know what it's like to have a husband ... I am already being trained to understand, recognize and respect authority. I have already begun practicing obedience (I mess up quite a bit, but I'm still learning). I guess I get frustrated that some tend to dismiss me because of my age and automatically disqualify me from offering anything to a discussion. To me, this violates the encouragement in 1 Timothy 4:12 and denies that God could impart wisdom to anyone. But back to marriage and authority, this is something I've been taught:

The word "submit" in Greek is "hupotasso". It means to subordinate, to obey, etc. When it's used in the Bible, it refers to a position that's not voluntary. Meaning that a person in a position to submit is technically (because of their position) "in subjection" or "subdued" already. It's not optional. I'ts a commandment.

If we look, for instance, at 1 Peter 2:13a: "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men".

This clearly shows us that we are to be obedient to those in authority over us, does it not?

That is correct, I guess you didn't get that I never argued with that point.

I am and believe deeply in being a submissive wife.