gray wolf

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,378
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

I think in general, it would be considered unprofessional for a lecturer to mock the possible beliefs of their students.

During my science degree (3.5 years) I can only recall 3 occasions where this standard was "stretched".

1. A Biological Systems lecturer made a Strawman argument against creationists concluding with the statement; "this is why the creationists are wrong - yet again".

2. A Botany Professor of mine once stated in a lecture regarding creationism, "you can believe this way if that's your inclination - but don't try to become a biologist".

3. In a tutorial discussion over the ethics of contraversial issues including cloning and stem cell research, a molecular genetics course convenor said to the class that religious people should keep their views out of science.

There was a lot more religious mocking from the students - especially directed against creationists. I once suggested the logical possibility of supernatural sources of knowledge - eliciting the response; "you are doing a science degree for godsake".