Rosanne

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  184
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

If Job's wife was so wrong, then why did she say in Job 2:9, "Curse God and die!" - if she really thought God was to blame, then why didn't she say Curse God and live?  Remember, Job's wife lasted through his trials and had his second family.

Guest Tigershark

She was a mere human that felt she had reached the end of her rope, and reached from emotion.  Even Job felt desair and went to God.  Give her a break, God did.

She was the mother of Job's second set of "better" children, so I guess by OT standards God understood her position, God most likely did not agree, but understood.  Then he "blessed" her and Job with children, land, fortune, and weath.  So I guess God saw no reason to replace her and he did everthing else.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

For one,what wife would really want her husband to die anyway?

Roseanne - everyone has lost someone they loved dearly - if not they either are children or have not loved enough.  I was not intending to cause anyone despair with my comment.

Job's wife was the only one who had not been physically touched, but she lost her first set of children and, as FC so dutifully reminds us, her husband had sores from head to toe.

I have heard the ministers of the Church so often accuse her, though.  I feel that the godly women of the Bible have been under attack.  How do men deal with the case where the most righteous man in the earth has problems beyond measure?  They often blame the woman associated with the man.

Indeed, women suffer because the men they love do not have the sense to serve God as the spiritual leader of the household, and I think this is a prime example.  Job loved the Lord and gave Him first place in his life, but there was the element of pride (Job 41:34) that had to be overcome.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

We all say things out of our compassion, flesh, or desire.  Job's wife was basically saying "look, get it over with!  Curse God and die."

How many times do we act the same way in our daily lives?  Instead of persevering in our trials, we do something in order to "get it over with."  God needs those who persevere, not go the easy route.

Hey,

If I am reading QRR right,  Job's wife was maybe just saying that to SHOCK Job into the right way of thinking.  She may have been intending to point out to Job how prideful he has been.  She questioned his "integrity"!

tjw

Talk about the ignorance of Job (as righteous as he was) - Job 19:6 - "Know then that God has wronged me"

How about the arrogance to answer God in Job 40:5 "Once I have spoken, and I will not answer" like God was a bad little boy and Job was being persecuted by God wrongfully.

Believe me - wives know when their husbands are acting self-righteous.