DearJudy,OurLord

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

I will not be one to tell another brother or sister in the Lord that they should not tithe if they believe the Scriptures say to do so...my question would be; if we are following the tenets outlined above, would not the majority of us give far and above the 10% given by tithing?

That depends strictly on where you live and how much money you make. If you make a lot of money compared to your living expenses, then tithe might not be so much, but if you live around here, I assure you, tithe is a rather large chunk of your paycheck when you start comparing what is left over to the bills.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What ever happened to faith and trust? Before you even attempt to get after me, total family income, that's a household of four, for last year was somewhere around $12,000. Yet we still tithe and even on such a small ammount, groceries are bought, cars are paid for, bills are paid, and I'm even in college. Faith is much more important than money.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I believe that "thithing" is of the law. Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth of the spoils out of deference to him, not out of commandment. Did Moses tithe of his flock when he was living in exile from Eqypt?

Now, we all know of the three tithes that are commanded in the Old Covenant. Jesus said that He was not here to destroy the law but to amplify it (paraphrased). He gave examples from the Ten Comandments showing that outward "works" were not enough and that we must guard our hearts and minds as well.

So, Jesus came to amplify the law to a spiritual level. Thithing became giving freely and with joy to God. It was no longer enough to meet the letter of the law (as the pharisees did, grudgingly), but to give with love for God (as the widow did). You see when we give to the poor we are giving to God. Of course, God gave us what we have, so I mean giving to God in the sense of how we see it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

What ever happened to faith and trust? Before you even attempt to get after me, total family income, that's a household of four, for last year was somewhere around $12,000. Yet we still tithe and even on such a small ammount, groceries are bought, cars are paid for, bills are paid, and I'm even in college. Faith is much more important than money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Praise God, SuperJew! I pray that God will continue to show His faithfulness as you continue to show yours! I'm rejoicing with you!

I agree with the above post that giving is an act of worship! I give freely and gratefully! I know that it is only through Him that I even have the ability to earn an income. I give with a very thankful heart and look forward to that part of the service! Attitude and motive play a big part in our giving. If I never received anything else from God for the rest of my life on this earth, I would still tithe to glorify and honor Him!