• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

parashas Devarim

“Let us send men before us, that they may search the land for us, and bring us back word of the way by which we must go up, and the cities unto which we shall come.”

• Deuteronomy 1:22, JPS, 1917 Tanach

The beginning of the book of Deuteronomy: Moshe reiterates the events of B’nei Yisrael over the past 39 yrs, in an effort to convey to the next generation, who will enter the Promised Land, what needs to be learned from their ancestor’s travails. Although various narratives recorded prior in Torah are mentioned, they are being retold in a way that will benefit this generation, boost their morale, and caution them against making similar mistakes that were made by the previous generation.

It is apropos of entering the land, that Moshe recalls the first time, thirty-nine years prior, that B’nei Yisrael attempted to enter the land. Although they had been encouraged at that time to go forward without fear or trepidation, they hesitated, and requested to send men ahead of them, in order to get a better idea of what they would face when attempting to conquer the land. This might be seen as prudent, and perhaps even wise, were it not for their motivation in making the request.

“Things no eye has seen and no ear has heard, that have not entered the heart of mankind these things G-d has prepared for those who love Him.”

• 1 Corinthians 2:9, Tree of Life Version

B’nei Yisrael wanted to see ahead of time whether this land of milk and honey was truly what the L-RD had said it was; this denoted a lack of trust in the L-RD’s words of promise, concerning their inheritance. They wanted to make their own assessment of the land. After all, they were not able to see the land through the L-RD's’s eyes, nor think with His thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-11). Instead, they faltered at the sight of the local inhabitants who were like giants; as a result they lost confidence in themselves as well as the L-RD.

Moshe reminds the new generation that the L-RD will fight their battles for them. He encourages them to trust in the L-RD; he reminds them of how recently they were able to defeat Og and Sichon, two kings who defended the border into the Promised Land. “And gave their land for a heritage, a heritage unto Israel His people” (Psalm 135:12, JPS 1917 Tanach).

Entrance into the Promised Land may be viewed as a metaphor for entering Olam Haba (the World to Come). It is incumbent upon us to trust in the L-RD’s provision for us in the next world, looking forward to entering the Kingdom of G-d. As the cloud by day and the fire by night, the L-RD guided the Children of Israel through their journer in the wilderness. So, too will a way be prepared for us into Malchus Elokim (the Kingdom of G-d).

“Do not let your heart be troubled. Trust in G-d; trust also in Me. In My Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to Myself, so that where I am you may also be. And you know the way to where I am going.”

- John 14:1-4, Tree of Life Version

Edited by Shimon
consistency