Shimon

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

"A prophet will the L-RD thy G-d raise up unto thee, from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken."

– Deuteronomy 18:15, JPS 1917 Tanach

Moses speaks to the B’nei Yisrael (Children of Israel), concerning their own implied request for an intermediary, “according to all that thou didst desire of the L-RD thy G-d in Horeb [Sinai] in the day of the assembly, saying: ‘Let me not hear again the voice of the L-RD my G-d, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not'” (Deuteronomy 18:16).

The L-RD responded: “‘They have well said that which they have spoken. I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him'"(Deuteronomy 18:17-19).

Who is this mysterious prophet like unto Moshe, who speaks in H’Shem’s name? (see also John 1:21, 7:40). The sages offer a clue: “As the first Redeemer [Moses], so the last Redeemer [Messiah]” (Numbers Rabbah 11:2). Moses was the first redeemer; the final Redeemer, Messiah will be like unto Moses. He is raised up from amongst his own brethren (the Jewish people); and, he speaks the words that H’Shem commands him to speak.

“Because I do not speak on my own, but the one having sent me [Elokim] HaAv [the Father] has given me a mitzvah (commandment) of what I may say and what I may speak."

• - Yochanan 12:49, Orthodox Jewish Bible

Yeshua was raised up from amongst his own brethren; he speaks the words that the Father has permitted him to speak. How else is he like unto Moshe? Consider that Moshe served as an intermediary between G-d and B’nei Yisrael, “I stood between the L-RD and you at that time, to declare unto you the word of the L-RD” (Deuteronomy 5:5, JPS 1917 Tanach). Messiah, who sits at the right hand of H’Shem, stands even today between G-d and man, “For Adonoi echad hu (there is one G-d) and there is also metavekh echad (one melitz – mediator)” (1 Timototiyos 2:5, OJB).

Additionally, continuing with the previous motif, “Like the first redeemer so will the final redeemer be. The first redeemer was Moses, who appeared to them and disappeared. The final redeemer will also appear to them and then disappear” (commentary on Shemot 2, Soncino Talmud).

According to the midrash, Moses “disappeared” for three months, when he was hid by his parents, before being placed in a basket in the River, to escape the decree against newborn children. Later in life, he also “disappeared," when he fled to Midian for forty years.

The commentary mentions that the final redeemer (Messiah) would also disappear. “Because of oppression and judgment He was taken away. As for His generation, who considered? For He was cut off from the land of the living, for the transgression of my people” (Isaiah 53:8, TLV). Yeshua has “disappeared,” especially, from before the eyes of the Jewish people. "Even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the L-rd, the vail shall be taken away" (2 Corinthians 3:15-16, KJV).

“The one having been taken up from you into Shomayim [Heaven], will also come again. "

- Gevurot [Acts] 1:11, OJB

Edited by Shimon