Stewardofthemystery

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.33
  • Content Count:  975
  • Content Per Day:  2.82
  • Days Won:  2

We are shown many times in scripture, that after we are called out of the world by God; we are warned not to "turn back".

Jesus said in Luke 17:32-33 “Remember Lot's wife. 33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.”

Jesus was talking about those who seek to preserve a certain "way of life" which is living to the lusts of the "flesh." 

Let's look at another place where Jesus said the same here in Mark 8:35 "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it."

So it is giving up your own self serving "way of life" in order to serve the Lord and the gospel's.

Notice what Paul says here in Romans 8:13 "For if you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live."

This putting to death "the deeds" of the body, or putting to death "sin" in our lives; this is what is meant by taking up your cross daily to follow the Lord Jesus.

We have to be willing to give up our own lusts and desires to follow Jesus and to follow the gospel teachings. 

This "way of life" we are to lose, is the same "way of life" the world lusts after; and has pride in, which is called the pride of this life. 

This is shown in 1 John 2:16" For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 

So that is the "way of life" Jesus said we need to lose in order to preserve our life in Him.

But in the above Jesus also mentioned Lot's wife in Luke 17:32. So what is that about?

From Genesis 19: 17 “And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.”

Verse 26 “But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.”

Notice they were warned not to "look back". This is a sign of spiritual things to come.

Jesus said in Luke 9:62 “And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”

The children of Israel also "looked back" on all the good things they had left behind in Egypt and it angered the Lord.

Numbers 11 "And when the people complained, it displeased the Lord: and the Lord heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the Lord burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp."
2 And the people cried unto Moses; and when Moses prayed unto the Lord, the fire was quenched.
3 And he called the name of the place Taberah: because the fire of the Lord burnt among them.
4 And the mixed multitude that was among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat?
5 We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick:
6 But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes."

The Lord gives us all these patterns and "signs" in scripture to teach us by repetition; that when we are called out of the world we are not to look back on our old lustful "ways of life."

But sadly we know by the words of God, that many would fall away from the faith, and return back to their old sinful and lustful ways. 

So don’t look back to the things you left behind, but rather look ahead to the prize and the promises given by God. He is faithful who calls you out of "the ways" of this world, and shows us through Christ the new "Way" we must walk and live our lives in Him. 

Be good and be blessed. Peace

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  3

This subject has my interest. 

Jesus indicates His Sheep cannot be plucked out of His hand in John 10:26-30, and yet He mentions falling away in Matthew 24:10-13 . Then Apostle Paul mentions The Great Apostasy (falling away) in 2 Thess 2:1-3, and the Apostle James says a brother can be restored, “My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.” (James 5:19-20). 

• Loved it! 1

The Lord does give people a certain amount of time to repent…

And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Content Per Day:  12.11
  • Days Won:  31

4 minutes ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

@Stewardofthemystery Interesting verse there, indeed. I think the Lord does work at both an individual and a collective level as regards testing whether ppl - groups or individuals - are truly repentant.

1 hour ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

So does that mean till Jesus returns or you die and then face judgement? 

1 hour ago, Solus Christus said:

So does that mean till Jesus returns or you die and then face judgement? 

I suppose the space of time given for one to repent is up to the Lord.  But I would say it would have to be before one physically dies because then one would be in danger of dying “in your sins.”

Notice….

But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and “in his sin”that he hath sinned, “in them shall he die.”

If one who was once righteous turns from his righteousness back to sin, he is in the same danger of “dying in his sins”as is also the case of the unbeliever.

Notice…

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall “die in your sins:” for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall “die in your sins.”

So it is important that all our sins are forgiven and we do not continue in sinful behavior, so that we do not “die in our sins.”

4 hours ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

I suppose the space of time given for one to repent is up to the Lord.  But I would say it would have to be before one physically dies because then one would be in danger of dying “in your sins.”

Notice….

But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and “in his sin”that he hath sinned, “in them shall he die.”

If one who was once righteous turns from his righteousness back to sin, he is in the same danger of “dying in his sins”as is also the case of the unbeliever.

Notice…

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall “die in your sins:” for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall “die in your sins.”

So it is important that all our sins are forgiven and we do not continue in sinful behavior, so that we do not “die in our sins.”

I agree physical death is a marker because of our he verse, “And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment..” (Hebrews 9:27)