• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Verses 1 to 4
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— the life was made manifest. We have seen it and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father, and was made manifest to us. That which we have seen and heard we proclaim to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed, our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. These things we are also writing to you, so that your joy may be completely full. 

When John writes, "I heard him, I saw him, I studied him, and I touched him that which we have seen and heard; and who we proclaim to you, so you may also have fellowship with the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ, the Word of Life, the eternally existent being." He is telling us two things. One is that Jesus is the eternal God who was with us from the beginning of time, and secondly, he is showing the error of Gnosticism, which refutes the deity of Jesus.

Walking in the Light. 1 John v5

Verses 5 to 10. This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you. God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 

When we read the Old Testament scriptures below, we could be reading verse 9 in the New Testament. Such is the harmony of the Bible.

Psa 32:5 I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

Pro 28:13 Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.

Edited by Truswell

The First Epistle of John, Chapter Two 

The harmony of the Bible from the Old Testament to the New Testament is shown in red. 

Knowing the Father.

(1) My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, not only for ours, but also for the sins of the entire world. And because of this, we know we are one of his if we keep his commandments. 

“And now, O sons, listen to me: blessed are those who keep my ways.” Pro 8:32 

Jesus, our heavenly Father, is talking to us, His children. Although a child may disgrace his Father, he is still his son by fact of birth, but even so, he cannot condone sin, so he tells us not to sin. He said the same to the woman caught in adultery when he said, “Go and sin no more.” He knows our weaknesses and says, “If anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father.” Jesus is our advocate, and heavenly Father (the One God), but even so he wants us to live righteous lives). 

~~~ 

(4) Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but the love of God perfects those who keep his word. By this, we know we are in him, and whoever says he abides in him ought to walk the same way he walked. 

Set the trumpet to your lips! One like a vulture is over the house of the LORD, because they have transgressed my covenant and rebelled against my law. To me, they cry, “My God, we—Israel—know you.” Israel has spurned the good; the enemy shall pursue him. Hos 8:1-3 

To walk the same way Jesus walked is the ambition of true Christians. They will turn their lives over to Jesus. Seek to follow Him in paths of righteousness, forsaking the things of the world while continually trying to keep His commandments and doing those things that are pleasing in His sight. We have a lifetime to accomplish this. 

~~~ 

(7) Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word that you have heard. Yet I am writing to you a new commandment that is true in him and you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining. Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him is no cause for stumbling. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness, walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes. 

"You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbour, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbour as yourself: I am the LORD." (Lev 19:17-18) 

Who better to remind us of the old commandment to love one another, than the giver of the commandments himself? The old commandment was to love one another, but in John 13:34, Jesus added something new: “To love one another, just as I have loved you.” That is so deep, especially as the love of Jesus extends to the whole world.

John Gill comments, “This seems levelled against the Jews. They make hatred of the brother lawful by saying if one man observes sin in another and reproves him for it, and he does not receive his reproof, it is lawful to hate him.” 

~~~ 

(12) “I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven, for his name’s sake. I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.” 

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD so that he shall have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. (Isa 55:7) 

There are other fathers. These are men and women of deep, long spiritual standing. They have the kind of walk with God that doesn’t come overnight. These are like great oak trees in the Lord, that have grown big and strong through the years. 

~~~ 

(15) Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not from the Father, but from the world. 

Why, O LORD, do you stand far away? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble? In arrogance, the wicked hotly pursue the poor; let them be caught in the schemes they have devised. For the wicked boasts of the desires of his soul, and the one greedy for gain curses and renounces the LORD. In the pride of his face, the wicked do not seek him; all his thoughts are, “There is no God.” (Psa 10:1-4) 

People have dealt with this by becoming monks and nuns, but Jesus intended us to be in the world, not of the world. We see this in His prayer to the Father in John 17:14–18. “I do not ask that you take them out of the world (followers of Jesus), but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them with the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.”

Jesus warned us of worldly dangers in Luke 17:26–33. Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man. They were eating, drinking, marrying, and being given in marriage until the day Noah entered the Ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot—they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. But on the day Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulphur rained from heaven and destroyed them all. So will it be on the day the Son of Man is revealed. On that day, let the one who is on the housetop, with his goods in the house, not come down to take them away, and likewise, let the one who is in the field not turn back. Remember Lot’s wife. Whoever seeks to preserve his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life will keep it. 

~~~ 

(18) And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. It is the last hour, and you have heard the antichrist is coming, and many have already come. Therefore, we know it is the last hour. They went out from us, but were not of us. If they had been, they would have continued with us. But they went out, so it becomes clear they are not of us. 

Be careful, therefore, to love the LORD your God. For if you turn back and cling to the remnant of these nations remaining among you, and make marriages with them, so that you associate with them and they with you, know for certain that the LORD your God will no longer drive out these nations before you, but they shall be a snare and trap for you, a whip on your sides and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from off this good ground that the LORD your God has given you. (Jos 23:11-13) 

Those who put their faith in Jesus have been “anointed by the Holy One, and you all know. I write to you not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is the truth. Who is the liar, but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? The antichrist is he who denies the Father and the Son.  No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you, too, will abide in the Son and the Father in you.  And this is the promise he made to us—eternal life.” 

John finishes in verse twenty-six.
I write these things to you about those who are deceiving you. But the anointing you received from him abides in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, it is true and is no lie—just as it has taught you to abide in him. And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears, we have confidence and do not shrink from him in shame at his coming. If you know he is righteous, you can be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him. 

The following verses are a grave warning. 1 John 4:3; 1 John 2:18; 1 John 2:22; 2 John 1:7. They tell us, “Every spirit that does not confess Jesus is from God is the spirit of the antichrist, which is in the world already. 

For warnings against denying the Son read 1 John 2:18-4:6 

Edited by Truswell

The First Epistle of John, Chapter Three 

(V:1) Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore, the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 

The love of most fathers and mothers for their children is wonderful to behold, and to have Jesus as our heavenly Father is a blessing beyond compare. The verses below tell of God’s abundant goodness and steadfast love towards His children. 

“How abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of humankind!” (Psa 31:19) 

“Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.” (Psa 63:3) 

Psalm 31 is a Psalm of David. Jesus quoted these living words of David from the cross when He made His soul an offering for sin. “Into your hand, I commit my spirit.” 

As David lay on his bed in the watches of the night, we read in

Psa 63:7,” You have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.” 

(V:2) 1 Jn 3:2 Beloved, now we are the children of God; and one day we shall be like him when we see him as he is. 

(Psa 71:14) “As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, it shall satisfy me with your likeness.”

(Psa 63:3) “But I will love and praise you yet more and more.”

(Psa 17:15) “Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.”

(V:3-4) And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 

“O Israel, trust in the LORD! For the LORD is steadfast in his love, and with him is plentiful redemption. And he will redeem Israel from his iniquities.” (Psa 130:7-8) 

The purifying hope in readiness for his coming is something all believers, including the ten virgins, need to be engaged in. Pure love and a clear conscience toward God mark our transition into the newness of life.

(V:5-7) And you know, He in whom no sin exists came to take our sins away. Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 

Everyone who remains in him does not sin; everyone who sins has not seen him or known him. Little children, let no one deceive you. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as He is righteous. “1 John 3:6” 

(John is not saying our own righteous acts make us righteous. The Bible teaches we become righteous through faith in Jesus Christ. Some taught you could be righteous before God with no evidence of righteousness in your life. John is rebuking this idea. Charles Spurgeon said it well: “The grace that does not change my life will not save my soul.”) 

(Psalm 106:3) “Blessed are they who observe justice and who do righteousness at all times!”

(Psa 106:3) In the path of righteousness is life, and in its pathway, there is no death. (Pro 12:28)

(Eze 18:9) “Those who walk in my statutes and keep my rules by acting faithfully — are righteous; they shall surely live, declares the Lord GOD.”

(V:8) He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose, the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. (1Jn 3:8) 

“Well,” said Spurgeon, “labour under no mistake, sir. ‘He that sins is of the devil.’ It is no use making excuses and apologies; if you are a lover of sin, you shall go where sinners go. If you, who live in this fashion, say that you have believed in the precious blood of Christ, I do not believe you, sir. If you had true faith in that precious blood, you would hate sin. If you dare to say you are trusting in the atonement while you live in sin, you lie, sir; you do not trust in the atonement; for where there is real faith in the atoning sacrifice, it purifies the man, and makes him hate the sin which shed the Redeemer’s blood.” 

“I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” Gen 3:15)

(V:9-12) Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brothers righteous. 

John here is emphasising what it means to be born again. It means that a change comes that will affect every area of our lives as we grow in Christ — and is a real, observable change when the Lord said to the Psalmist, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you.” (Psa 2:7) 

This is how God’s children and the devil’s children become obvious. Whoever does not do what is right is not of God, especially the one who does not love his brother or sister. For this is the message you have heard from the beginning: We will love one another, unlike Cain, who was the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brothers were righteous. 

In this passage, Jesus’ point was important. “Are we a child of God or a child of the devil?” Our spiritual parentage determines our nature and our destiny. A child of God will render good for evil, while a child of Satan will return bad for good. Psalm 38:20 is very true. 

“Those who render me evil for good accuse me because I seek after good.” (Psa 38:20) (Let us go with that which is good.)

(V:13-15 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 

“Do not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbour: I am the LORD. “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbour, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbour as yourself. I am the LORD.” (Lev:19:16-18)

“Take care lest there be an unworthy thought in your heart, and you say, ‘The seventh year, the year of release is near,’ and your eye looks grudgingly on your poor brother, and you give him nothing, and he cries to the LORD against you, and you be guilty of sin. You shall give to him willingly, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him, because for this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake.” (Deu 15:9-10) 

(V:16-17) By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.  (17) But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? 

“Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will repay him for his deed.” (Pro 19:17) 

(V:18) My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 

“They remembered God was their rock, the Most High God, their redeemer. But they flattered him with their mouths; they lied to him with their tongues. Their hearts were not steadfast toward him; they were not faithful to his covenant. Yet he, being compassionate, atoned for their iniquity and did not destroy them; he restrained his anger often and did not stir up all his wrath. (Psa 78:35-38)” 

(V:19-20) This is how we will know that we belong to the truth and will reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows all things. 

The effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness will be quietness and trust forever. “My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and quiet resting places.” (Isa 32:17-18) 

(V:21-22) Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 

“I hold fast to my righteousness and will not let it go; my heart does not reproach me for any of my days.” (Job 27:6)

“I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.” (Psa 34:4)

“The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” (Psa 145:18) 

(V:23) And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 

Only fear the LORD, and serve Him in truth with all your heart. Consider what great things He has done for you. (1Sa 12:23-24) 

When we read the Old Testament scriptures, it could be the New Testament we are reading. Such is the harmony of the Bible.  

Edited by Truswell

Posted (edited)

The First Epistle of John, Chapter Four

One God given message in harmony with both Old and New Testaments

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God. For many false teachers have come into the world. Do not let the prophets and diviners who are among you deceive you; do not listen to the dreams they dream, Jer 29:8 because they simply believe anything and everything. Proverbs 14

(2) By this, you know the Spirit of God. Every spirit that confesses Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Rom 10:9 (3). Every spirit that does not confess Jesus is from God is the spirit of the antichrist. You heard the antichrist was coming, and now is in the world today. (4) Little children, you are from God and have overcome the evil ones, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (5) The wicked are in the world, they speak worldly things, and the world listens to them. An evildoer listens to wicked lips, and a liar takes heed of a mischievous tongue. (Pro 17:4) When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice, but when the wicked rule, the people groan. (Pro 29:2)

(6) We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this, we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.  (7) Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Moreover, the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the hearts of your descendants, so that you will love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, so that you shall live. (Deu 30:6) (8) Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

(9) God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we can live through him.  (10) In this love, his love, not that we did love God then, because he loved us first, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.  (11) Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  (12) No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God abides in us, and his love is perfected in us.  (13) By this, we know that we abide in him and he in us because he has given us his Spirit.  (14) And we have seen and testified that the Father has sent his Son to be the Saviour of the world.  (15) Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he, in God.

How precious is your steadfast love, O God! All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings. (Psa 36:7) For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you. (Psa 86:5)

(16) So, we have come to know and believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. He is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, the horn of my salvation, and my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, so I shall be saved from my enemies. (Psa 18:1-3) He brought me out into a broad place, and he delivered me because he delighted in me. (Psa 18:19) (17) By this is love perfected with us so that we shall have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is, so are we in this world. The effect of righteousness will be peace, quietness and trust forever. (Isa 32:17)

(18) There is no fear in love, for perfect love casts out fear. Fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (Psa 34:4) (19) We love Him because he first loved us, showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation. They love me and keep my commandments. (Exo 20:6) So now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you? God only wants people to revere the LORD, to walk in all his ways, to love him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and soul, (Deu 10:12)

(20) If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, they are a liar, for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. (21) And this commandment we have from God: whoever loves me must also love his brother. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against any of your people, and you shall love your neighbour as yourself: I am the LORD your God. (Lev 19:18)

Edited by Truswell

Posted (edited)

The First Epistle of John, Chapter Five

Everyone who believes Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. If we love and obey God, we know that we will love his children. For the love of God is this: that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. (Deu 6:5) 

Whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world: our faith. Who defeats the world? Only the person who believes Jesus is the Son of God. This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only, but with the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one that testifies, for the Spirit is the truth. There are three witnesses: Isa 48:16 And now the Lord GOD has sent me and his spirit. 

The Spirit, the water, and the blood, and these three agree. If we receive human testimony, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God he has testified to his Son. Those who believe in the Son of God have the testimony in their hearts. Those who do not believe in God have made him a liar by not believing in the testimony God has given concerning his Son. (11) And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Happy is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors. For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favour from the LORD; (Pro 8:34-35)

(12) Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life. And this is our boldness in him—that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. Forgive the iniquity of this people according to the greatness of your steadfast love, just as you have pardoned this people, from Egypt even until now." (Num 14:19)

(15) He hears us whenever we ask him, and since we know this is true, we know he gives us what we ask of him. But as for me, I will look to the LORD, I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. (Mic 7:7)

(16) If you see your brother or sister committing what is not a mortal sin, you will ask, and God will give life to such a one, and to those whose sin is not mortal. There is a mortal sin; I do not say you will pray about that. Then he said, "Oh do not let the Lord be angry if I speak just once more. Suppose ten are found there." He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it." (Gen 18:32)

All wrongdoing is sin, but there is a sin that is not mortal. You must diligently observe everything I command you; do not add to it or take anything from it. (Deu 12:32)

(18) We know those who are born of God do not sin, but the one who was born of God protects them, and the evil one does not touch them. We know we are God's children, and the world lies under the power of the evil one. Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways. (Psa 119:2-3)

(20) And we know the Son of God has come and given us understanding, so we may know him who is true, and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word. (Psa 119:114)

(21) Little children, keep yourselves from idols. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything in heaven above, or on the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exo 20:4-6)

The apostle is in effect saying, “Beware of any teachings opposed to these realities.” He wants believers to guard themselves from any ideas concerning God, other than those handed down to us by the apostles. Jesus Christ is God. Any other thought is idolatry. Here John is not speaking primarily of idols carved out of wood. An idol is a substitute or false god taking the place of the true God. Here, an idol is not so much a material thing as a false teaching. (Believers Bible)

Archbishop Alexander spoke of this appeal as “an eloquent shudder.” We can think of no language that could improve on such a description, and so we close this commentary with John's eloquent shudder: (Believers Bible)

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.” 

And on that note, John ends his first epistle.

Edited by Truswell

Posted (edited)

The Second Epistle of John

The theme of John's second epistle is of love for each other, obedience to God, and the dangers of becoming entangled with false teachers.

Verses 1-3. From the Elder to the dear Lady and her children, whom I truly love. And I am not the only one. All who know the truth love you, because the truth remains in us and will be with us forever. May God the Father and Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, give us grace, mercy, and peace; may they be ours in truth and love. (2Jn 1:1-3)

(Notes)
To the elect lady and her children: Perhaps this was an individual Christian woman John wanted to warn and encourage with this letter. Or, the term might be a symbolic way of addressing this particular congregation. (David Guzik)

“The phrase elect lady is, however, more likely to be a personification than a person—not the church at large but some local church over which the elder’s jurisdiction was recognised, her children being the church’s individual members.” (John Stott)

The LORD commanded Moses to tell Aaron and his sons to use the following words in blessing the people of Israel: “May the LORD bless you and take care of you; may the LORD be kind and gracious to you; may the LORD look on you with favour and give you peace.” (Num 6:22-26) (It is the same prayer today.)

~~~
(4) I was overjoyed to find some of your children walking in the truth, as the Father commanded us. But now, dear lady, I ask you, not as though I was writing you a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning: let us love one another, and it is this:

Lev 19:18 Do not take revenge on others or remain in hatred towards them, but love your neighbours as you love yourself. I am the LORD.

~~~
(5) And so, I ask you, dear Lady: Let us all love one another. This is not a new command I am writing to you; it is what we have had from the beginning. (2Jn 1:5)

Psa 119:108 Accept my prayer of thanks, O LORD, and teach me your commands.
~~~

(6) And this is love: that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment you have heard from the beginning—you must walk in it. (Be obedient)

And keep the charge of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes and His commandments, and His judgments and His testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn yourself to, so that the LORD may establish His word which He spoke concerning me, saying, 

‘If your sons take heed to their way, to walk before Me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, then there shall not be a man of yours cut off from the throne of Israel.’ (1Ki 2:3-4)

John again emphasises the importance of obedience.
~~~

(7) Many deceivers have gone into the world, including those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist! (More encouragement to stay close to Jesus.)

Jer 14:14 But the LORD replied, “The prophets tell lies in my name; I did not send them, nor did I give them any orders or speak one word to them. The visions they talk about have not come from me; their predictions are worthless things that they have imagined. 

Isa 24:23 The moon will grow dark, and the sun will no longer shine, for the Lord Almighty will be king. He will rule in Jerusalem on Mount Zion, and the leaders of the people will see his glory. (There are dark days ahead.)

~~~

(8) Be on your guard, so that you keep what we have worked for and receive a full reward. Everyone who does not abide by the teachings of Christ, but goes beyond them, does not have God. Whoever abid7es by the teaching has both the Father and the Son. Do not receive into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this teaching. (More warnings.)

Psa 119:111-115, Your commandments, Lord, are my eternal possession; they are the joy of my heart. I shall keep your laws until the day I die. I despise those who are not loyal to you, but I adore your law. You are my defender and protector; I trust your promise. Go away from me, you sinful people. I will obey the commands of my God.

~~~
(9-11 Anyone who goes on and does not keep to the teaching of Christ has not God; he who keeps to the teaching has the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you not having this teaching, do not take him into your house or give him words of love. For he who gives him words of love has a part in his evil works.

Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Here are the prophets saying to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, nor shall you have famine, but I will give you true peace in this place.’” And the LORD said to me: The prophets are prophesying lies in my name; I did not send them, nor did I command them or speak to them. They are prophesying to you a lying vision, worthless divination, and the deceit of their minds. Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the prophets who prophesy in my name though I did not send them and who say, “Sword and famine shall not come on this land”: By sword and famine, those prophets shall be consumed. And the people to whom they prophesy shall be thrown out into the streets of Jerusalem, victims of famine and sword. There shall be no one to bury them—themselves, their wives, their sons, and their daughters. For I will pour out their wickedness upon them. (Jer 14:13-16)

The consequence.
And the Word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their land, they defiled it by their ways and by their doings, even as the uncleanness of a woman’s impurity was their way before Me. Therefore, I poured my fury upon them because of the blood that they had shed upon the land and for their idols, by which they defiled it. And I scattered them among the nations, and they were scattered throughout the countries. I judged them according to their ways and according to their doings. And when they came to the nations where they went, they even profaned My holy name in that it was said of them, ‘These are the people of the LORD, and they are gone out of His land.’ But I pitied My holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations where they were exiled. (Eze 36:16-21)

What I am going to do is not for the sake of you Israelites but for the sake of my holy name, which you have disgraced in every country where you have gone. When I show the nations the holiness of my wonderful name—the name you disgraced among them—then they will know that I am the LORD. I, the Sovereign LORD, have spoken.

I will use you to show the nations that I am holy. I will take you from every nation and country and bring you back to your land. I will sprinkle clean water on you and cleanse you of your idols and everything else that has defiled you. I will give you a new heart and a new mind. I will take away your stubborn heart of stone and give you an obedient heart. I will put my spirit in you and see that you follow my laws and keep the commands I have given you. Then you will live on the land I gave your ancestors. You will be my people, and I will be your God. I will save you from everything that defiles you. I will command the grain to be plentiful so that you will not have any more famines. I will increase the yield of your fruit trees and your fields, so there will be no more famines to disgrace you among the nations. You will remember your evil conduct and the wrongs you committed, and your sins and inequities will disgust you. Israel, I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake. I want you to feel the shame and disgrace of what you are doing. I, the Sovereign LORD, have spoken.

~~~

(2Jn 1:9-11)
Anyone who does not stay with the teaching of Christ but goes beyond it does not have God. Whoever does stay with the teaching has both the Father and the Son. So then, if some come to you who do not bring this teaching, do not welcome them in your homes; do not even say, “Peace be with you.” Anyone who wishes them peace becomes their partner in the evil things they do. (2Jn 1:9-11)

~~~

Isa 53:1-12 Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? (2) For he grew up before him like a young plant and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire in him. (3) He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces, he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (4) Surely, he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. (5) But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. (6) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. (7) He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth like a lamb led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth. (8) By oppression and judgment, he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people? (9) And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. (10) Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. (11) Out of the anguish of his soul, he shall see and be satisfied. By his knowledge, shall the righteous one, my servant, make many accounted to be righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities upon himself. (12) Therefore, I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors, yet he bore the sins of many and makes intercession for the transgressors.

May God bless.

Edited by Truswell