• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

I found this about New age relgion or what ever it is. New age should never be mixed with Christainity. Its not bibical in anyway. I know no one really said anything was on this thread, I am just posting this because someone mentioned it.

New Age

New Age promotes the development of the person's own power or divinity. When referring to God, a follower of New Age is not talking about a transcendent, personal God who created the universe, but is referring to a higher consciousness within themselves. A person in New Age would see themselves as God, the cosmos, the universe. In fact, everything that the person sees, hears, feels or imagines is to be considered divine.

Highly eclectic, New Age presents itself as a collection of ancient spiritual traditions. It acknowledges many gods and goddesses, as in Hinduism. The Earth is viewed as the source of all spirituality, and has its own intelligence, emotions and deity. But superseding all is self. Self is the originator, controller and God of all. There is no reality outside of what the person determines.

New Age teaches a wide array of eastern mysticism and spiritual, metaphysical and psychic techniques, such as breathing exercises, chanting, drumming, meditating...to develop an altered consciousness and one's own divinity.

Anything negative a person experiences (failures, sadness, anger, selfishness, hurt) is considered an illusion. Believing themselves to be completely sovereign over their life, nothing about their life is wrong, negative or painful. Eventually a person develops spiritually to the degree that there is no objective, external reality. A person, becoming a god, creates their own reality.

everystudent.com was the link.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Dreamer, do you believe in reincarnation?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  314
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I found this about new age religion or what ever it is. New age should never be mixed with Christianity. It’s not biblical in anyway. I know no one really said anything was on this thread; I am just posting this because someone mentioned it.

New Age

New Age promotes the development of the person's own power or divinity. When referring to God, a follower of New Age is not talking about a transcendent, personal God who created the universe, but is referring to a higher consciousness within themselves. A person in New Age would see themselves as God, the cosmos, the universe. In fact, everything that the person sees, hears, feels or imagines is to be considered divine.

Highly eclectic, New Age presents itself as a collection of ancient spiritual traditions. It acknowledges many gods and goddesses, as in Hinduism. The Earth is viewed as the source of all spirituality, and has its own intelligence, emotions and deity. But superseding all is self. Self is the originator, controller and God of all. There is no reality outside of what the person determines.

New Age teaches a wide array of eastern mysticism and spiritual, metaphysical and psychic techniques, such as breathing exercises, chanting, drumming, meditating...to develop an altered consciousness and one's own divinity.

Anything negative a person experiences (failures, sadness, anger, selfishness, hurt) is considered an illusion. Believing themselves to be completely sovereign over their life, nothing about their life is wrong, negative or painful. Eventually a person develops spiritually to the degree that there is no objective, external reality. A person, becoming a god, creates their own reality.

Everystudent.com was the link.

That is a very interesting post. I am also glad you answered it without biased. I respect your views on this and don't want to criticize your beliefs so let me just say how I understand things. I will use scripture to back up what I say so you can at least see where I'm coming from

This higher consciousness within ourselves is one thing I believe Jesus had preached about.

15"Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali,

The way to the sea, along the Jordan,

Galilee of the Gentiles—

16the people living in darkness

have seen a great light;

on those living in the land of the shadow of death

a light has dawned." --Isaiah

Rest for the Weary

25At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

27"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I believe in enlightenment, but I believe that we attain it through Jesus’ teachings. I believe when we reach a level of enlightenment we don't become our own gods but we become one with Jesus and one with God. Part of the same body.....

3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

I also consider the negative emotions we feel as demons keeping us from reaching those higher levels. Things like temptation, hate, envy, jealousy, rage, depression ect. I consider sadness and hate "heavy" emotions while considering happiness love and peace "light" emotions. I won’t post it due to length but Romans 12 is a good example of Jesus trying to talk us out of negative emotions. Basically if you feel good towards other and yourself you will treat others and yourself good and Vice versa with hate. I found alot of quotes here so I wont post any unless asked.

Yes I do believe in reincarnation, and the quote underneath is one reason why

Mathew 17

11Jesus replied, "To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands." 13Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

Edited by Observer of dreams

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

We've seen a lot of mixture between Christianity and New Age in the past. It's really nothing new. :)

John the Baptist took on Elijah's prophetic role. It was simply a metaphor, nothing more mystical than that. If it were, then the disciples would not have understood its meaning. Now here is a verse I want you to ponder:

Hebrews 9:27 And inasmuch it is appointed once for men to die and after this comes judgement.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

We've seen a lot of mixture between Christianity and New Age in the past. It's really nothing new. :)

Yeah, like Gnosticism (even New Age has roots) :21:

Just as a side note, expect this to become a bigger problem on the boards and in real life. More and more churches, specifically youth, are turning towards a New Age/Eastern/Mystic/Gnostic form of "faith." The reason is that major youth "ministries" are adopting such practices (Such as Mark Yaconelli's "Youth Specialties"). We're going to be facing a lot more New Age "Christians" in the days to come...

Guess I should go ahead and respond to the previous post:

This higher consciousness within ourselves is one thing I believe Jesus had preached about.

Galilee of the Gentiles

. John was fulfilling this role. Likewise, it is impossible for this to be reincarnation because Elijah never died. :huh:

Good point :) I never thought about that before.

We've seen a lot of mixture between Christianity and New Age in the past. It's really nothing new. :whistling:

Yeah, like Gnosticism (even New Age has roots) :24:

Just as a side note, expect this to become a bigger problem on the boards and in real life. More and more churches, specifically youth, are turning towards a New Age/Eastern/Mystic/Gnostic form of "faith." The reason is that major youth "ministries" are adopting such practices (Such as Mark Yaconelli's "Youth Specialties"). We're going to be facing a lot more New Age "Christians" in the days to come...

Guess I should go ahead and respond to the previous post:

Galilee of the Gentiles

• Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Interesting. I appriciate your veiws on this. If I am wrong God will show me in time and my veiws will change as they always do since I am still learning. However I do want to point out in the first part of your reply that I was refering to Jesus as being the light. I have a big problem trying to convey my veiws in so many words so that nothing is misunderstood i apologize.

The problem is unless you are doing in depth studies of the issue and gaining a proper interpretation then God will not change your mind. God does not simply grab you by the arm and force you into a proper belief about who He is and how He opperates. It takes proper study on your time. Secondly, what do you mean by "light." Are you refering to it ethically or mystically?

As for the verse you pointed out in hebrews I agree with it. Men die once, but the spirit lives on. From aprocryphal texts it is said that we will leave one flesh and enter another, never entering the same flesh twice. I'll look it up but don't have it in front of me right now it's 2:00am here. Also To me if Jesus says Elijah was john the baptist I believe Elijah was john the baptist, but I guess I'm just funny like that. smile.gif

The Apocrypha is not absolute, thus bringing it up is not going to help you in this case. Secondly, if you agree with Hebrews then you cannot believe the spirit can enter other bodies. THe reason being is that it specifically says, "It is appointed unto man once to die, THEN the judgement." Thus, if the judgement has occured this means he is in his eternal resting place; how can he enter into another body?

A further problem with your interpretation of Jesus' words is how did Elijah, who did not die and was taken up to Heaven with His body (and returned with His physical body during the transfiguration of Christ), inheret someone else's body as well? Likewise, did you read the context that even causes Jesus to say this about John the Baptist? The transfiguration had just occured and the disciples recognized the person as Elijah, not as John the Baptist. Why? Also notice what Jesus says, that Elijah WILL come and restore things, but that he had already come. If we look at this in Greek, at this point it is entirely metaphorical, or a literary comparison. Jesus is refering to the fact that John the Baptist did the job that many scribes thought Elijah would do. Many scribes at that time taught that Elijah was either the Messiah or would prepeare the way for the Messiah. The most common belief is that he would prepare the way. Thus, Jesus is not saying that Elijah somehow manifested himself in John, Jesus is saying the scribes were wrong and that John fulfilled the role they all thought Elijah would fulfill.

Going on even further we find that Jesus is merely affirming what had been said to John's father in Luke 1:17 -

"It is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, TO TURN THE HEARTS OF THE FATHERS BACK TO THE CHILDREN, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous, so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

This does not support the idea of reincarnation at all. If this were literally Elijah merely inhereting a body, then Gabriel would have said so. Instead of going forth in the spirit of Elimah, then it would have been properly said he IS the spirit of Ellijah. The Greek word (pneuma), though with multiple meanings, when put into this context can only mean one thing. It is exactly how we mean it. "He moved on in the spirit of democracy." "He acted in the spirit of George Washington." Whatever example we wish, it is merely refering to the fact that he did the same thing that a previous person would have done. To take this deeper, it is also a reference to Malachi 3:1 whic states a distinct messenger. John the Baptist is being prophecied about as a seperate entity away from Elijah. Why not say, "I am sending Elijah to prepare the way"?

So no, there is no scriptural support for what you are saying at all.

I ask that this discussion remained open-minded. I would much rather hear about your beliefs and how you veiw and live life than spend all of my replies trying to defend instead of discuss. "A man forced to agree against his will is of the same opinion still." --Benjamine Franklin

I am going to speak in absolutes when absolutes are concerned. You are discussing both the nature of God and the nature of man after death...these are absolutes and therefore I will speak in an absolute manner. I have been "open-minded" enough to study the issue. Open-minded does not mean you leave open the posibility of something being true or that you simply take your views as opinions; it means you are willing to study something. I have studied this issue, I have found it to be 100% wrong, and I am going to treat it as such. Of course you don't want to defend because this puts a requirement on you to actually substantiate your claims. A discussion would be much more beneficial to what you are saying because it would not require a response for the false teachings you have brought forth. :whistling:

A false teacher is one who preaches false doctrine as truth. A false teacher will not acknowledge Jesus as the living God. A false teacher will slander the beings of heaven. A false teacher preaches lies and deceit. Not love and peace. A false teacher will preach his ideologies as if to not follow them means certtain hell. God will not force me around by the arm but will open doors for me to walk through.

2 Peter 2

False Teachers and Their Destruction

1But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them