• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  858
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/05/1964

Simple Thoughts On Promises-226

Eli answered, "Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him." (1 Samuel 1:17)

More of a blessing rather than a promise; yet a promise to which Hannah held onto till she received what she had asked of God. She had spent years in mental anguish because the LORD had closed her womb and her rival (Elkanah's other wife Peninnah) kept provoking her in order to irritate her. Even the priest Eli thought she was drunk, when actually she was praying in her heart and only her lips were moving and her voice was not heard.

A blessing or a promise can change a depressed person's outlook fast. As soon as she heard Eli's reassuring words, she was filled with new hope, for the Bible says,

Then she went her way and ate something, and her face was no longer downcast. (1 Samuel 1:18)

In her misery Hannah had made a vow to the Lord:

"O LORD Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head." (1 Samuel 1:11)

God blessed Hannah with a son whom she named Samuel. She kept her vow to the Lord and gave Samuel to the Lord's work as soon as he was weaned.

Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, saying, "May the LORD give you children by this woman to take the place of the one she prayed for and gave to the LORD." Then they would go home. And the LORD was gracious to Hannah; she conceived and gave birth to three sons and two daughters. Meanwhile, the boy Samuel grew up in the presence of the LORD. (1 Samuel 2:20, 21)

Hannah's womb was closed by the Lord, but when he opened it, Hannah had 6 children. Our God is an awesome God. Praise be to his holy name.

• Group:  Diamond Member

Simple Thoughts On Promises-227

Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him," declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 31:20)

Why did God often speak against Ephraim? Ephraim (the ten tribes) gives the answer to that.

'You disciplined me like an unruly calf, and I have been disciplined. Restore me, and I will return, because you are the LORD my God. After I strayed, I repented; after I came to understand, I beat my breast. I was ashamed and humiliated because I bore the disgrace of my youth.' (Jeremiah 31:18, 19)

They were like an unruly calf; without any self-control. They did as they pleased and God disciplined them. Like Ephraim, many believer's stray away from the Lord and then they fall prey to satanic attacks. Pain, shame and humiliation are what follows.

God has given us the Holy Spirit to guide us and lead us in the paths of righteousness. God says,

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you. (Psalm 32:8, 9)

The bit and bridle treatment is often painful to endure but God uses it so that we may not be eternally lost. God is merciful and the promise for today vouches for that.

"Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him," declares the LORD.

Yes, God remembers us in our low estate and wants to renew his relationship with us even after we stray. He is always compassionate. He loves us with an everlasting love. May his name be glorified.

Simple Thoughts On Promises-228

A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. (Proverbs 11:25)

Are you as a believer, in the habit of refreshing others or are you in the habit of putting others off and bringing despair and grief to them? The promise for today states that he/she who refreshes others will himself/herself be refreshed. The book of Proverbs is a good guide on day to day righteous living and this is one of the promises that pertains to the generous. Another promise for the generous states that A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor. (Proverbs 22:9)

How generous can one be? The Apostle Paul cites an example when he wrote to the church at Corinth. He said,

And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own,they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5)

Out of the most severe trial......they gave even beyond their ability. That's really admirable.

Not only with finances, we can be generous with our words and actions which will portray the love of Christ that we should have as Christians. Kind and encouraging words, a helping hand, a pat on the back, just sitting with someone who is suffering, listening to the woes of someone who is suffering and so many other things that may seem trivial but are of great value to the recepient, are of paramount importance in the eyes of the Lord.

Jesus calls us to refresh others with our words and actions and the promise "he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed" will come true to whoever obeys. Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises-229

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)

In simple words, God honors faith. The question that God asks them who seek him earnestly for their difficulties/problems is, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?"

As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!" When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" "Yes, Lord," they replied.

Then he touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith will it be done to you"; and their sight was restored.....(Matthew 9:27-30)

Jesus always had a word of praise for them who showed their faith to him with their words and actions. About the Roman centurion, he said,

"I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. (Matthew 8:10)

To the woman who had been suffering from bleeding for 12 years, he said,

"Take heart, daughter," he said, "your faith has healed you." And the woman was healed from that moment. (Matthew 9:22)

To the Canaanite woman who pleaded with Jesus for her daughter, Jesus said,

"Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour. (Matthew 15:28)

Do you believe that Jesus is able to do the miracle that you are seeking from him this day? If yes, then start praising him as if he has done it already, because he himself said,

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. (Mark 11:24)

And when your miracle happens, Jesus will have a word of praise for you too, because you showed him your faith. God bless you.

Simple Thoughts On Promises-230

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." (Jeremiah 17:7, 8)

Where does our confidence lie? Is it in our acquired knowledge, acquired strength or acquired money? These can help us to an extent but people who rely on only these often tend to fail miserably after a while. God has some advice regarding this for all. He says,

"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches." (Jeremiah 9:23)

Our breath is in the hands of the Almighty. He can give and he can take back this breath at his own discretion, so we do not have anything to glory in except in the Lord who has given us life breath.

Instead God advices us to boast about this: "let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,". (Jeremiah 9:24)

If your confidence is in Jesus, you will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.

Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 1:31) Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises-231

I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her." (Matthew 26:13)

While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor." Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. (Matthew 26:6-12)

Whatever we do for the Lord Jesus and his kingdom with love in our hearts is like beautiful fragrance in his presence. Here, the woman brought very expensive perfume which she poured on his head. What we offer for the expansion of God's kingdom here on earth may not be as costly as what the woman brought, but it has great value in the eyes of the Lord.

And Jesus' promise that "wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her." has been proved true. It has been read & it has been preached about countless times.

So do not consider the work that you are doing for the Lord to be trivial. Do it with all your heart. You will be rewarded in the Lord's good time.

The Bible says,

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:58)

God bless you.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 232

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."(John 8:12)

Do you have the light of life? If you are following the light of the world

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 233

For he stands at the right hand of the needy one, to save his life from those who condemn him. (Psalms 109:31)

God is near to all who call upon him; all who call upon him in truth. In Psalm 109, David speaks about his enemies who wanted to destroy him with their words and actions. Though his life was constantly in danger for many years, God

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 234

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all ; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. (John 10:27-29)

Jesus affirms that no one can snatch a believer (who listen's to his voice and follows him) from his hand or his Father's hand. But there

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 235

But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:7)

Jesus spoke about the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, defining his role in the lives of those who believed in Jesus and accepted him as Savior.

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. (John 14:16)

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26)

"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. (John 15:26)

If you have trusted in Jesus and accepted him as Savior, the Counselor will start his work in your life. He will be with you always, he will teach you all things, he will testify about Jesus and he will remind you of what Jesus has said.

The Counselor has been given the task of helping us believer