Gentlewind

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I would like to dedicate this thread, in a general way, to the collection of books and letters we call the Bible. Recently, (on another site which I have finally abandoned) I have been witness to the many ways people can approach the Bible with ill intent: Some will cherry-pick verses to support doctrine they wish to be true. Some seek to twist the verses to mean things they were never meant to mean. Some claim to have an understanding of the Bible all their own, and further claim their understanding is the only true interpretation. Some add to the Bible, some subtract. I have been cast into a sea of confusion. Perhaps though, God allowed me to almost drown in this confusion, that He might hold out a hand to me, as He did to Peter, that I might be brought safely to shore, learning never to take my eyes off Him again.

Scripture should be our safe harbor in the faith. As 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God (or woman :wub: ) may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

While it is true that the Bible in printed, compiled form did not always exist, God has seen fit that, at some point, the Bible come into existence that we might search, study, and learn directly from its pages. I have some basic New Testament knowledge, and I've read the Bible cover to cover once; but, with the help of those on this site, I would like to go deeper and study Scripture in its entirety. I have come to understand why Worthy is Bible based, why Worthy keeps watch to be sure only sound doctrine enters its forums, and above all why we must protect our understanding carefully, and work hard to not be led astray.

On this thread, please tell me about the Bible: perhaps a brief history; why only certain books were accepted into the canon; who actually compiled its pages; what is the best method of studying its treasures; what Bible study tools and aids have you found most useful; why you love these ancient books; how best to protect our correct understanding of the Bible; is it even possible to truly understand ALL of its pages; how to determine what is parable and what is literal; a brief description of how Biblical symbolism and foreshadowing should be sought and studied; how the Bible changed your life; what Scripture did our Lord have at His fingers, and how did He employ it; where on the Worthy forums is study of Scripture done most; who on Worthy are some of your most trusted teachers; and anything else you might wish to tell me or others about the Word of God. (Wow! That was a lot of questions! :39: )

Thank you all so very much ahead of time for your replies. Just answer in part, whatever questions interest you. I'm all ears. (or eyes) I may simply rest on this thread alone for awhile. :wub: Please feed me. I'm hungry for sound doctrine and Truth; help me reach the shore.

~Gentlewind :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from General Discussion to Doctrinal Questions

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Why not just ask the Holy Spirit. He is the only teacher..

John 14:26

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Matthew 23:8-10

8"But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9"Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 "Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.

I'm saying this to you because you have so many questions. Which is not bad, but don't forget that the people here are all human and prone to error too. The TRUTH if you are looking for it is only with one person. That's God as the scripture says above.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/06/1961

May the Holy Spirit guide you in all things! May this be our earnest prayer always. And may any who wishes to instruct others in the truths contained in the Bible..require of themselves the same.

Why not just ask the Holy Spirit. He is the only teacher..

John 14:26

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Matthew 23:8-10

8"But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9"Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 "Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.

I'm saying this to you because you have so many questions. Which is not bad, but don't forget that the people here are all human and prone to error too. The TRUTH if you are looking for it is only with one person. That's God as the scripture says above.

Hello Blien~

I do understand what you mean, and, in a way, I have held fast to the same ideals. I do believe the Holy Spirit guides us if our hearts are in the right place, and if we are truly seeking God. I believe that some of what we experience in our walk with God may be extremely personal and spiritual and unique to us, in a one-on-one way--just me and He, so to speak. However, on the site I came away from, I realized that what many Catholics claim about Protestants is true to a certain degree: the church is split in so many directions-- it has become so fragmented--that there are, in fact, many, many people believing many, many different "truths", many of which contradict one another. In my heart, I believe I know Christ. I believe I have what I need for salvation. Like you (I think), I have had my share of spiritual experiences, dreams, and even one miracle that I believe was granted to me as a comfort I can forever remember. But my focus here is the Bible. I have seen, and seen well, the damage that can be done if everyone is allowed to interpret its words completely on their own, the result of which leads to terrible confusion and even contention among brethren.

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps I need to buckle down and study on my own (with the Holy Spirit attending); but, truly there is so much to learn, the task is daunting! (And I am trying!) In reference to the Bible, one needs to understand the language barriers in translation, the difference in culture between Biblical days and now, a rather sizable amount of history, and be able to put it all together in a reasonable fashion to truly understand its pages.

I guess I'm in a position where I'd like to go deeper into Scripture. Scripture itself tells us we are not to remain "babes", but that we should continue to grow. I do apologize for so many questions in my OP. I suppose I'm looking for guidance and instruction with Biblical understanding, trying to remain teachable. Surely there are those who are qualified in this world to teach or disciple others. In the beginning--the very beginning of the church--people were taught by other people. The word, the good news, the gospel was handed one to another verbally. There was no New Testament. Of course, I realize all too well, that in this current day, I must be alert while being taught by anyone, seeking and searching simultaneously on my own to see if what is taught speaks of Truth. In light of where I've come from it seems very complicated, but perhaps my biggest mistake was leaving the simplicity of my original faith where I was free of such worry and very content. And yet, the Bible is there, in all its glorious bulk, just waiting to be studied.

I suppose I'm asking advice. I don't really expect any one person to answer all my questions. I understand this is the job of the Holy Spirit. If the Bible seems hard to understand, should I just accept that perhaps I'm not meant to understand all of it, or should I seek help? I will stop here and just be open to what others may have to say. Thank you, Blien, for your reminder of my most important Teacher.

~Gentlewind

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Gentlewind, I really admire your wanting to know the truth and to sink deeper into the word. God is the one who can teach and lead you to the right people. I just see the danger in waiting for people here to answer your questions because we are all from various different background with different ideas and different motives. That's why I felt I had to remind you that the Holy Spirit is the only one who can teach us. If anyone seems to you qualified to teach its only because the Holy Spirit is working through them.. not because they have some special knowledge. All knowledge is already available to us through God.

I came to a time in my growing with the Lord where I realized certain teachers were teaching falsehoods because they like all humans are prone to error. One man teaches one thing, while another teachers something else, meanwhile the Bible says what it means plainly. Here is something I read today when I opened my Bible. I didn't even seek out this but it was right there in front of me. I feel as if the Holy Spirit led me to it so I could share it with you. Notice the subtitle is "Wisdom from the Lord"

Jeremiah 17:5-9

Wisdom from the Lord

5 This is what the Lord says:

“Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans,

who rely on human strength

and turn their hearts away from the Lord.

6 They are like stunted shrubs in the desert,

with no hope for the future.

They will live in the barren wilderness,

in an uninhabited salty land.

7 “But blessed are those who trust in the Lord

and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.

8 They are like trees planted along a riverbank,

with roots that reach deep into the water.

Such trees are not bothered by the heat

or worried by long months of drought.

Their leaves stay green,

and they never stop producing fruit.

9 “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things,

and desperately wicked.

Who really knows how bad it is?

In the past, because I relied on the word of people to teach me about the Bible instead of reading it myself and asking the Holy Spirit, I was really confused about many things and got into many needless arguments. Also you know that the Bible says knowledge puffs up (1 Corinthians 8:1). So if one man claims to know many things about the Bible be careful because he may also have pride hidden away with him! I was like that too!

Gentlewind, I really admire your wanting to know the truth and to sink deeper into the word. God is the one who can teach and lead you to the right people. I just see the danger in waiting for people here to answer your questions because we are all from various different background with different ideas and different motives. That's why I felt I had to remind you that the Holy Spirit is the only one who can teach us. If anyone seems to you qualified to teach its only because the Holy Spirit is working through them.. not because they have some special knowledge. All knowledge is already available to us through God.

I came to a time in my growing with the Lord where I realized certain teachers were teaching falsehoods because they like all humans are prone to error. One man teaches one thing, while another teachers something else, meanwhile the Bible says what it means plainly. Here is something I read today when I opened my Bible. I didn't even seek out this but it was right there in front of me. I feel as if the Holy Spirit led me to it so I could share it with you. Notice the subtitle is "Wisdom from the Lord"

Jeremiah 17:5-9

Wisdom from the Lord

5 This is what the Lord says:

"Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans,

who rely on human strength

and turn their hearts away from the Lord.

6 They are like stunted shrubs in the desert,

with no hope for the future.

They will live in the barren wilderness,

in an uninhabited salty land.

7 "But blessed are those who trust in the Lord

and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.

8 They are like trees planted along a riverbank,

with roots that reach deep into the water.

Such trees are not bothered by the heat

or worried by long months of drought.

Their leaves stay green,

and they never stop producing fruit.

9 "The human heart is the most deceitful of all things,

and desperately wicked.

Who really knows how bad it is?

In the past, because I relied on the word of people to teach me about the Bible instead of reading it myself and asking the Holy Spirit, I was really confused about many things and got into many needless arguments. Also you know that the Bible says knowledge puffs up (1 Corinthians 8:1). So if one man claims to know many things about the Bible be careful because he may also have pride hidden away with him! I was like that too!

Blien~

Thank you again. Yes, I believe the Lord is speaking to me through you today. You opened the Bible and those verses were right there in front of you?! Amazing. I do feel as though I have been cursed in looking to others for answers on these (any) forums, because, as you've said, everyone will give a different answer. I suppose I am like Eve, wanting too much knowledge too soon; and look at all the trouble she got into! I know I must listen to Jesus and that He will never lead me astray; it is people who have, indeed, led me astray, away from my first love.

I certainly did not mean to turn my heart from Him, but perhaps my thirst for knowledge was misdirected and He allowed me to wander. I will say this: even as I wandered He watched over me and He pulled me back from the danger just in the nick of time. He was faithful.

A barren wilderness in an uninhabited salty land! I have been to the wilderness, and the land was salty and nothing good grew there. Perhaps the forums, if moderated properly are good for fellowship, prayer, and discussion, but who is our Teacher? I really must learn to trust Him in this.

I will pray for deeper roots along that riverbank, reaching for the living water that only He can give me. He is alive and well, after all.

And my heart? I don't want a human heart. I want a heart that beats only for Him. If I give Him my whole heart, then, and only then do I believe I can trust my heart. And the hearts of others? Who but the Lord knows the heart of a man?

Thank you. I think I know what I must do. And I'll begin by pondering those verses you (He :emot-hug: ) gave me and asking myself, just where has my lust for knowledge led me? Because it is a lust. To desire knowledge of Scripture is good, but not if I am impatient and turning to all the wrong places for answers. I need to slow down, and sit at His feet. I need to simply trust that He will give me what I need as I need it.

Thank you, Blien, for being a prophet today.

God is often in the timing.

~Gentlewind

May the Holy Spirit guide you in all things! May this be our earnest prayer always. And may any who wishes to instruct others in the truths contained in the Bible..require of themselves the same.

Thank you, tarilee, for also pointing in the direction Blien has pointed. :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Gentlewind, dude, if you have a question, we'd be happy to help answer it.

Do you have a question about the Scriptures?

Gentlewind, dude, if you have a question, we'd be happy to help answer it.

Do you have a question about the Scriptures?

wyguy~

Thanks "dude" (hehehe). :noidea: I have many, many questions, as in my OP. Thanks for asking.

Gentlewind