IGNORED

Elijah = John the Baptist?

dwinkjr

Guest idied2

Good thread you all. Great posts. ;)

Does anyone know if the tranfiguration was before or after john the baptists death?

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Idied2,

Does anyone know if the tranfiguration was before or after john the baptists death?

I am pretty certain it was some time AFTER JB's death. JB sort of even prophesied his death in a way:

John 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

He was decreased by one head size. Not to be funny, but he was the forerunner of Christ, "prepare ye the way..." and soon after baptizing Jesus JB was slammed into the cooler.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Guest LCPGUY
He was decreased by one head size. Not to be funny, but he was the forerunner of Christ, "prepare ye the way..." and soon after baptizing Jesus JB was slammed into the cooler.

:huh:

John Buoy

:P :P :P :P

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

John 1

19Now this was John's testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 20He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, "I am not the Christ.[7] "

21They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"

He said, "I am not."

so the answer is no he is not Elijah

"Then who are you? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not."

clearly it says he is not Elijah

Elijah is not John the Baptist

The Old Testament promised that Elijah would come to the Jewish people. Some who believe in reincarnation think this is what occurred with John the Baptizer being the fulfillment of Elijah's coming.

The Angel Gabriel announced to Zecharias that his son's name would be called John in Luke 1:13. He goes on to say in verse 15 that he will be great in the sight of the Lord and

so what do you guys think about these verses?

Guest idied2

Christ stated to those who would hear it that john was elijah. But john and CHRIST told the truth. John said I am not and Christ said he was. So how could they both be telling the truth? God Gives to each what HE needs to fulfill HIS purpose. He gave the knowledge to CHRIST but not to John. When he comes this time he will come with the word of the LORD to zerubabel.

Joh 1:21

And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."

Matthew 17:

11 Jesus answered and said to them, "Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things. 12 But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands." 13 Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist.

Matthew 11

12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. 13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come. 15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug: :hug:

Greetings Trinity,

To be honest and frank, your interpretation of the Elijah which was to come IS FLAKEY! Are you familiar with the "tripartite nature" of the human being? We are spirit, soul and body (1 Thes 5:23). The man, the natural man, is composed of a body and a soul, a "living soul". The "spirit" of a man is a developmental one. It was not stowed someplace in one of God's closets and then imposed upon a man, but the "spirit" begins to develop probably late in the blastocyst stage or even later during fetal development. We know that the fetus begins to become aware of it surroundings early in the fetal developmental stage because it responds to various stimuli. Earlier in the fetal stage, no one knows for sure, but I think likely not.

Anyway, the "spirit" of a man is FORMED in him. It does not pre-exist. It is eternal in the sense that it shall never die until it meets either the Pearly Gates or the Lake of Fire, and even then continues to persist for the rest of eternity. It is the "spirit" that reaches outside of the body/soul connection. It is what we "touch God" with.

The Elijah "spirit" is a TYPE of spirit, that is peculiar to Elijah and by training and subsequent adopting of the ministry TO Elisha. Consider the 7 churches of Revelation. These were at one time physical churches that existed and to whom Jesus made certain addresses. HOWEVER, the "spirits of these churches" continued on throughout the ages, and today, we can find various churches that match those churches by observing THEIR "spirit".

This is what Jesus was talking about. He was NOT talking about reincarnation. He was not saying that somehow the PERSON of Elijah somehow was upon JB, but He WAS saying that John the Baptist HAD the LIKE spirit of Elijah, in his mission and in his personality.

Please re-evaluate your conclusions, and also you might want to get E-Sword and look at what some of the commentaries say about this.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Yurop i agree thats kinda wut i think i said in my diff way lol :P

but John the baptist wasn't Elijah, because why would Elijah deny being himself Elijah?

Edited by Trinity

Greetings Trinity,

but John the baptist wasn't Elijah, because why would Elijah deny being himself Elijah?

For one, whose word do you believe - Jesus' or John's? None-the-less, of course John would NOT declare himself TO BE Elijah. But Jesus RECOGNIZED whose "spirit" JB had and declared that it was JB that fulfilled the scriptures as His forerunner.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie