• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1963

Isn't Jesus our Sabbath? Our rest? In Him, not to work by or of ourselves?

The law in the old testament for honoring the Sabbath was always about Jesus. This is why once Jesus came, to fulfil the law, His resurrection, was that fulfilment, and now we know of whom to have our rest instead of what.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

It's totally a MOOT ISSUE. The day of the week means nothing. As Christians, our rest is in Christ 24/7.

Colossians 2:13-17 KJV And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

I agree with you on that point, but I still am curious why sundown to sundown, and what you would do in a place where it remains dark for over a month, and daylight for over a month? :noidea:

This is one of those things that will continue, because there is error on both sides. One group says Sunday is the Christian Sabbath, and another says we must worship on Saturday. They were arguing about that when Christianity was just getting started, which is why it had to be addressed in Romans. Those who observe the Sabbath do so unto the Lord, and those who don't do so unto the Lord.

Sure, people have always argued about things like this. So what? It doesn't make the argument any less daft! The bible has nothing to say on the subject of which day of the week is the seventh, but a lot to say about stopping arguing! As to 'observing the sabbath', I wholly agree with the two of you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

That was Jesus in Exodus 20 giving the commandments

It was Jesus who gave the commandments to Israel in the wilderness on the mountain of God

It's funny how people will quote verses to do away with the law so they think yet they never quote the verses that establish the law forever

This same Jesus who you think did away with the commandants had Paul who you twist and say the commandments are against us and nailed to the cross said this

Hebrews 13:8 (KJV)

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Jesus gave the commandments

How can Jesus change the law when he don't change?

Wow this discussion has been going on since May of 2012. We are free in Christ to worship God every day. Is that so hard to understand?

We are free in Christ!

John 8:36

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

If you want to worship on the Sabbath (Saturday) then feel free to do so. But that does not mean all of Christendom must follow suit.

1 Corinthians 10:23

“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.

We are not burdened by the law of slavery.

Galatians 5:1

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

We are not under the law of sin and death due to God's grace through Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:2

Because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

Isn't Jesus our Sabbath? Our rest? In Him, not to work by or of ourselves?

The law in the old testament for honoring the Sabbath was always about Jesus. This is why once Jesus came, to fulfil the law, His resurrection, was that fulfilment, and now we know of whom to have our rest instead of what.

Yes, Jesus is our Sabbath because He is the Lord of the Sabbath. I agree with what you say here.

I agree as well.

He is risen!

In Christ,

Eagle

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  458
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, Jesus is our Sabbath because He is the Lord of the Sabbath. I agree with what you say here.

Hello Selene

No place in scripture will you find that Jesus is our sabbath. However you will find as you stated that Jesus is Lord of the sabbath day rest. So if Jesus is Lord over that day of rest {the sabbath rest that He himself made} then why look for another day of rest?

Edited by WailingWall

Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah...

Hey AlexanderJ

HEBREWS 8 [8] For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: [9] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. [10] For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MIND, AND WRITE THEM IN THEIR HEARTS: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: [11] And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. [12] For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. [13] In that he saith, A NEW COVENANT, HE HATH MADE THE FIRST OLD. NOW THAT WHICH DECAYETH AND WAXETH OLD IS READY TO VANISH AWAY.

Although we are to try and walk as if Gods law was written in our heart, has the covenant of Hebrews 8 already arrived?

Verse 8- I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Not a gentile mentioned anywhere. Are you from either house?

Verse 11- Does EVERYONE know the Lord? Not even close. There will come a time.

Verse 13- Hebrews 8 was written AFTER the crucified Christ and the scripture clearly says that the old covenant (10 commandments) is WAXING OLD and GETTING READY to vanish. Aint vanished yet! Yes there are some books that claim the ten are obsolete. In them same books youll find in Hebrews 4 the name of Jesus being change to Joshua for the same reason.

Verse 10- When God writes His commandments in our heart you can bet the ranch we will be keeping them. Yes, even His sabbath. When will God write His laws in our hearts? At the time He does this quote takes place.. " I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people". Its after the gathering of His people to the 1000yr period of rest.

EZEKIEL 36 [24] For I will take you from among the heathen, and GATHER YOU OUT OF ALL COUNTRIES, AND WILL BRING YOU INTO YOUR OWN LAND. [25] Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. [26] A NEW HEART also will I give you, and A NEW SPIRIT will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. [28] And ye shall dwell in the land that i gave to your fathers; and YE SHALL BE MY PEOPLE, AND I WILL BE YOUR GOD.

Heres another scripture pointing to when God will do heart surgery on us

DEUT. 30 [4] If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will THE LORD THY GOD GATHER THEE, and from thence will he fetch thee: [5] And the Lord THY GOD WILL BRING THEE INTO THE LAND WHICH THY FATHERS POSSESSED, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers. [6] And the Lord THY GOD WILL CIRCUMCISE THINE HEART, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. [7] And the Lord thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee. [8] And THOU SHALT RETURN AND OBEY THE VOICE OF THE LORD, AND DO ALL HIS COMMANDMENTS which I command thee this day.

The gathering to the 1000 yr period of rest. Verse 8- Yes.... that would be the 10 commandments. Does that include the sabbath

ISAIAH 66 [22] For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. [23] And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and FROM ONE SABBATH TO ANOTHER, SHALL ALL FLESH COME TO WORSHIP before me, saith the Lord.

YUP!

Edited by WailingWall

Hello Selene

No place in scripture will you find that Jesus is our sabbath. However you will find as you stated that Jesus is Lord of the sabbath day rest. So if Jesus is Lord over that day of rest {the sabbath rest that He himself made} then why look for another day of rest?

Christ is our Sabbath because one will find rest in Him.

Matthew 11:28-29 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Jesus does say He will give you rest

MATTHEW 11 [27] All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. [28] Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

In order to find out what rest Jesus is speaking of simply read the next verse. Keep in mind when this was written it was one continual writing. No chapters and verses.

MATTHEW 12 [1] At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. [2] But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

MATTHEW 12 [10] And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him. [11] And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? [12] How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

The Jews added over a hundred laws to the original sabbath commandment which made the 4th commandment more of a burden than a blessing. Jesus sets them straight in Matthew 12 on a couple of these added laws to His 4th commandment.

2 THES. 1 [7] And to you who are troubled REST WITH US, WHEN THE LORD JESUS SHALL BE REVEALED FROM HEAVEN with his mighty angels, [8] In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

The “many” say we need not keep Gods sabbath day because we are now resting in Jesus. As you can plainly read our rest with Jesus has not yet begun. According to above scripture its when he returns. You will notice that the flaming fire of vengeance also destroys them that do not “obey” the good news.

REVELATIONS 20 [4] And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Our rest with Jesus begins with the 1000 yr period of rest spoken of in Revelations. That’s soon after the flaming fire of 2Thes.1.

ISAIAH 66 [22] For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. [23] And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and FROM ONE SABBATH TO ANOTHER, SHALL ALL FLESH COME TO WORSHIP before me, saith the Lord. [24] And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Seems that even during the 1000 yr period of rest his people will still be keeping the sabbath. Jesus is the same today, yesterday and forever!

PSALMS 132 [8] Arise, O LORD, into thy rest; thou, and the ark of thy strength.[9] Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.[10] For thy servant David's sake turn not away the face of thine anointed.[11] The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.[12] if thy children will KEEP MY COVENANT AND MY TESTIMONY that i shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore.[13] For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.[14] This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.

Arise into thy rest, this is my rest for ever. And the children of God will also enter this rest IF they keep his covenant (law) and his testimony (of Jesus).

ISAIAH 14 [3] And IT SHALL COME TO PASS in the day that THE LORD SHALL GIVE THEE REST from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve, [4] That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased! [5] The Lord hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers. [6] He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth. [7] THE WHOLE EARTH IS AT REST, and is quiet: they break forth into singing.

The bottom line is... believe the scriptures over what youve been taught by your denomination. It shall come to pass in that day (verse 3) the LORD shall give thee rest. Verse 7 says at that time the whole world is at rest. All the bad guys will be gone. 2Thes.1 tells us why. Theres gonna be a fire! The whole world is not at rest at this point in time.

Hebrews 4:8-10 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.

HEBREWS 4 [10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Well...Ya see what it says. Now lets see how God rested from His work

HEBREWS 4 [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works

Yup. God rested the 7th day. The sabbath. Pretty simple

Edited by WailingWall

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

Hey Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Let us remember humility, as Believers we are heirs of God with Christ. (Philippians 2:3; 1 Peter 5:5, Romans 8:17) Remember we are to seek restoration with a spirit of gentleness. (Galatians 6:1) We are to be kind and tenderhearted to one another. (Ephesians 5:32) Let us remember how we are to confront sin or errant theology. (Matthew 18:15-19)

Please recieve this with the spirit of the intent it was said.

Hebrews 4:8-10 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.

HEBREWS 4 [10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Well...Ya see what it says. Now lets see how God rested from His work

HEBREWS 4 [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works

Yup. God rested the 7th day. The sabbath. Pretty simple

Circular logic. God confined Himself to "rest" on one day?

It cracks me up when people do a Cuisinart approach to hermeneutics to support their poor doctrine.

"It Slices!!

It Dices!!

It's Scripture Chopper!!

Now only $19.95!!

Call now and get the second one free!!

Operators are standing by!!"

Let's look at the whole section without isolating a couple verses and placing them out of order so they appear to say something they don't:

OK

HEBREWS 4

[1] Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.[2] For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.[3] FOR WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works.[5] And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

They which actually believe do enter into His rest. Which rest is being spoken of? Verse 4 tells us its the rest of the 7th day. That’s Gods sabbath day alright.

[6] Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:[7] Again, HE LIMITETH A CERTAIN DAY, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Some, to whom it was first preached had the spirit of unbelief and did not enter the sabbath rest (Ezek.20). They were destroyed.

[8] For IF JESUS HAD GIVEN THEM REST, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.[9] THERE REMAINETH THEREFORE A REST to the people of God.

You’ve heard the many say “Jesus is my rest”. Well…verse 8 contradicts that? Anyways the rest (sabbath) remains. Ive heard “the many” say verse 9 is speaking of the 1000 yr period of rest. That rest has not yet arrived, so how could it remain? Another thing that bothers me is the fact that many of the new books have changed the name of Jesus to Joshua. Why? What are they trying to hide? Plain to see. The "many" claim Jesus is their rest, while the bible (verse 8) says quite the opposite. Thus the need for the change of names

[10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Of course the above verses are speaking of the sabbath. Enter into the rest as God also did. Verse 4 says God entered into rest on the seventh day. The sabbath. Verse 11 says we are to enter into that very same rest.

Ive seen pages and pages written about above scriptures trying to explain that it doesnt really mean what it says. Just believe what it says and enter into the rest GOD created for us. The rest that sanctifys us and sets believers apart from those with the spirit of unbelief, like those who were destroyed in the wilderness (Ezek.20).