• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

1—The Bible is clear that we are saved by faith alone. Abraham was saved by faith, and we are saved by faith (Romans 4:1-25; Galatians 3:6-22).

2—Throughout the Bible, in every dispensation, people have been saved without being baptized. Every believer in the Old Testament (e.g., Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon) was saved but not baptized. The thief on the cross was saved but not baptized. Cornelius was saved before he was baptized (Acts 10:44-46).

3—Baptism is a testimony of our faith and a public declaration that we believe in Jesus Christ. The Scriptures tell us that we have eternal life the moment we believe (John 5:24), and belief always comes before being baptized. Baptism does not save us any more than walking an aisle or saying a prayer saves us. We are saved when we believe.

4—The Bible never says that if one is not baptized then he is not saved.

5—If baptism were required for salvation, then no one could be saved without another party being present. Someone must be there to baptize a person before he can be saved. This effectively limits who can be saved and when he can be saved. The consequences of this doctrine, when carried to a logical conclusion, are devastating. For example, a soldier who believes on the battlefield but is killed before he can be baptized would go to hell.

6—Throughout the Bible we see that at the point of faith a believer possesses all the promises and blessings of salvation (John 1:12; 3:16; 5:24; 6:47; 20:31; Acts 10:43;13:39; 16:31). When one believes, he has eternal life, does not come under judgment, and has passed from death into life (John 5:24)—all before he or she is baptized.

From the awesome gotQuestions website: http://www.gotquestions.org/

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus only believers ?

Did Jesus say ? "Don't do what I do or what I say, just believe in my name only"

So don't do what the early church did, they didn't know better.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

I have read that the 3000 in Acts 2:41 could have been immersed by self in a matter of about 20 minutes.

I take it from this that they were not individually immersed, though it seems clear that Jesus was immersed by

John the Baptist, or John the Baptizer.

Jesus only believers ?

Did Jesus say ? "Don't do what I do or what I say, just believe in my name only"

If your point is to say people are arguing against baptism, nobody suggested that. I know I didn't. The question is whether or not you are completely saved before you are baptized?

True. Baptism is important, because Jesus commanded it. But it has nothing to do with salvation. By being baptized, you are proclaiming your belief in front of witnesses. Basically - you're making a public stand for Christ.

Jesus only believers ?

If your point is to say people are arguing against baptism, nobody suggested that. I know I didn't. The question is whether or not you are completely saved before you are baptized?

True. Baptism is important, because Jesus commanded it. But it has nothing to do with salvation. By being baptized, you are proclaiming your belief in front of witnesses. Basically - you're making a public stand for Christ.

Where does it say you are doing it before others for that purpose of showing your faith.

Baptism isn't for others its for you, because you just wrote that its a commandment. What if we disobey this commandment then, are we saved ?

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:

We can't judge ourselves with other people salvation - example: someone gets saved by believing in Jesus and the next minute they die.

We are required to do what we are able to do because God judge our hearts in how we obey him.

Other wise why do I need Jesus most Jews believe Like Abraham salvation, just believe in God. Did it work for Abraham ?

So I think if you konw about baptism and its a commandment, you better get it done.

Keeping the commandment also shows you love God.

What if we disobey this commandment then, are we saved ?

So I think if you konw about baptism and its a commandment, you better get it done.

Keeping the commandment also shows you love God.

Did you disobey any of God's commands today? How about yesterday?

Whenever you sin you are disobeying God.

Are you still saved?

Remember: "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8)

Perhaps you missed this in the OP:

"Throughout the Bible, in every dispensation, people have been saved without being baptized. Every believer in the Old Testament (e.g., Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon) was saved but not baptized. The thief on the cross was saved but not baptized. Cornelius was saved before he was baptized."

Are they actually saved?

Also this:

"If baptism were required for salvation, then no one could be saved without another party being present. Someone must be there to baptize a person before he can be saved. This effectively limits who can be saved and when he can be saved. The consequences of this doctrine, when carried to a logical conclusion, are devastating. For example, a soldier who believes on the battlefield but is killed before he can be baptized would go to hell."

Repenting and placing your faith in Jesus is what saves a person - not being immersed in water.

Paul himself said, "I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius." (1 Corinthians 1:14)

Now, that's a strange thing to say if baptism was essential for salvation, isn't it?

This link may be helpful to you: http://www.gotquesti....x=0&search.y=0

Do you think if you deliberately ignore what is required of you that you are saved ?

Are we not suppose to do what is asked of us to do ?

Like I said you cannot measure yourself with others people salvation, they do what they know to do at that point.

But when you know and don't do it.

17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

James 4:17 (KJV)

Children of Israel ignore God's commandments and they got punished.

Are we any different from them, when we ignore Christ commandments.

So picking the minimal last second for salvation does not mean you are saved when you knowing all there is to do to obey that which is required of you.

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required.

I think you are required to do with what understanding of the laws of Christ you have.

If you understand that its a commandment to get Baptized then get baptized its the law, why break it, don't you love him.

Is not our love toward him proven by doing his commandments.

I don't think anybody will go to heaven if they don't love God. Do you ?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Do you think if you deliberately ignore what is required of you that you are saved ?

Like I said you cannot measure yourself with others people salvation, they do what they know to do at that point.

17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

So picking the minimal last second for salvation does not mean you are saved when you knowing all there is to do to obey that which is required of you.

I think you are required to do with what understanding of the laws of Christ you have.

If you understand that its a commandment to get Baptized then get baptized its the law, why break it, don't you love him.

Do we have to prove that we are saved through works or following commandments such as baptism? Is salvation something we do of our own strength or is it God acting in our lives? :hmmm:

Curious. Are you saying if someone doesn't get baptized they don't love God? :help:

See this discussion:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Yeah the situation isn't always so clear cut, or it hasn't been for me. One is even being confident in wanting to belong to a particular church and asking them to do it. If not that, then figuring out if you should ask someone else or if it would be better just to wait to find an appropriate community. So then there is the question, given that's a good thing to do, how essential is it really. Is it something that needs to be rushed right away? Or is it okay to sit on it, with the intention of doing it, while trying to find a good context to do it in?

Baptism doesn't need to be rushed right away and it is not essential for salvation. One is baptised to symbolize dying to the old self and being raised as a new creation in Christ. I was saved and wasn't baptized until two {years} later. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

Edit: Meant two years not days.

Do we have to prove that we are saved through works or following commandments such as baptism? Is salvation something we do of our own strength or is it God acting in our lives? :hmmm:

Curious. Are you saying if someone doesn't get baptized they don't love God? :help:

See this discussion:

You have to prove that you love God.

We know what Jesus said "If you love me keep my commandments"

Why would you not keep what he says to do ? Once you know the commandment you are not required to do them ?

Why would you want to disobey ?

Are you judged by another person's salvation or by what you understand in Jesus's commandments ?