IGNORED

O Come Emmanuel -The Pianoguys

Guest AFlameOfFire

Guest AFlameOfFire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7ySn-Swwc

Did I finally do this right???

Man...I had to freehand type that link in there since the board isn't giving me permission to do copy pastes lately.

A good friend of mine (Thanks Tom!) got me hooked on this one, especially the piano/cello in this

This one is one of my favorites now 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,722
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

looks like ya got it! excellent song. :D

What a great blessing this is!  You made my day!  I'm listening to this over and over again.  Definitely one of my most favorite songs!

If you get the chance you should check out Selah's version.  It is also quite beautiful.  I would post it here if I knew how.  The last time I tried it was disastrous!   I do not want to make that mistake again!

I decided to do a little research on the song to see who had written it and this is what I found:  

O come, O come, Emmanuel is the mid-19th century translation by John Mason Neale and Henry Sloane Coffin of the Ecclesiastical Latin text "Veni, veni, Emmanuel".  It is a metrical version of the O Antiphons from the final week of Advent vespers, which now serves as a popular hymn.

Its origins are unclear: it is thought that the antiphons are from at least the 8th Century, but "Veni, veni Emmanuel" may well be 12th century in origin.

The text is based on the biblical prophecy from Isaiah 7:14 that states that God will give Israel a sign that will be called Immanuel (Lit.: God with us). Matthew 1:23 states fulfillment of this prophecy in the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

The first verse also appears to be based on Psalm 137 in which people of Judah are bemoaning their captivity in Babylon.  Their captors had required them to sing some of their songs from their glory days to which their reply in verse 4 was, "How shall we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land?"

Lyrical English Translation

O come, O come, Emmanuel, and ransom captive Israel that mourns in lonely exile here until the Son of God appear.

Rejoice! Rejoice!  Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel!  

O come, Thou Wisdom, from on high, and order all things far and nigh; to us the path of knowledge show, and teach us in her ways to go.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might, who to Thy tribes on Sinai's height in ancient times did give the law in cloud and majesty and awe. 

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse's stem, from ev'ry foe deliver them that trust Thy mighty power to save, and give them vict'ry o'er the grave. 

O come, Thou Key of David, come and open wide our heav'nly home; make safe the way that leads on high that we no more have cause to sigh. 

O come, Thou Dayspring from on high, and cheer us by thy drawing nigh; disperse the gloomy clouds of night and death's dark shadow put to flight. 

O come, Desire of the nations, bind in one the hearts of all mankind; bid every strife and quarrel cease and fill the world with heaven's peace. 

Rejoice! Rejoice!  Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel!  (repeat x 5)

Wishing you all a joyous Christmas filled with God's great peace.

In Christ,
PrairWarur

Guest AFlameOfFire

Hey sorry about that PrairWarur I dont know how I missed your post, didnt mean to ignore you on purpose. Me too, Tom made my day when he posted it and kept playing (over and over and over again) LOL

Oh and I love Selah, they are a favorite of mine and you are right, that version is very beautiful! I will post it for you if I can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q6iesplJRM 

Did it work? Yep! I previewed and it worked! And yes you are right, this one is beautiful, thanks so much!

Now I typically will avoid listening to alot of (what is called) Christmas songs with words in them (or anything that sounds too christmasy) even around Christmas time because I can never hold it together. I just get too emotional lol

But I never thought of this one as one of those believe it or not. Im weird I betcha

Thanks for that one, and God richly bless you PrairWarur!