• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  174
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/08/1967

At my church I play keyboards and sing background vocals on the Worship Team. I've been playing piano forever, and have been in various churches just as long. I've been helping lead Worship for about 6 or 7 years now, and I've been in church choirs for as long as I can remember.

Our Worship Pastor just took a job at another church in another state, and his job is now officially vacant. They asked another member of our team to be the interim Worship Leader in his stead while they do their search for a replacement. They never asked me, or haven't even mentioned anything about me helping out in his absence, even though I feel I am an integral part of the team, and am fully qualified to fill his shoes once he is gone.

The church is run like a corporation, with the Pastor being the "CEO". His word is the final word on all matters of the church. He basically runs a dictatorship. Keep in mind that I've been going to this church for about a year and a half and am very visible on the worship team, so I stick out and get recognized for my service on a weekly basis, so it's not like I'm some schmoe he never interacts with. However, I'm willing to bet he doesn't know anything about me, even what my kids names are, etc.

In the time we've been at this church we've developed virtually no close relationships with other members and you can literally stand in the middle of the fellowship hall between services and not one person will come up to you and say hi, or anything at all. I tested that theory yesterday, and it still holds true. The wife is also not happy at this church and would like to find a more friendly church home.

Here's the question - should I openly pursue the Worship Pastor position, or should I quietly bow out and move on to bigger and better things? The church has about 1,700 weekly attenders so it's quite a large church. The Worship Pastor position would be a pretty significant position, and I believe it would be more money for me, but that's just a guess.

Any and all thoughts and perspectives on this will be greatly appreciated.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

Several thoughts here myself.

One being is that your church is so huge in membership its probally unrealistic that a pastor be able to know everyone as he shoul.

Two If you have the qualifications then indeed go ahead and apply for the position if that is what you feel God wants you to do.

Three Have you ever thought about finding a smaller church in which those who are members actually get to know one another? My church has about 45 families and is getting ready to split again to keep the numbers down so that the pastors can minister to hi sflock without being overtaxed or overwhelmed by the sheare numbers of members.

Four Pray hard about the situation. Maybe God has other ideas for you.

Meanwhile we will keep you in prayer

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  174
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/08/1967

Well, as I mentioned in my original post, being that the Senior Pastor deals with me on a weekly basis, and sees me 3 times a week, wouldn't you think he'd want to get to know me? Maybe I'm being selfish...but....it's not like I just come to the services and never say anything to anyone.

And I've asked myself why I would want to apply for a job where it seems there isn't any compatibility between what I am looking for in a church and what this church offers?

What seems to bother me so much about this whole thing is that I am there every Sunday, no matter what, and no one has even asked me how I feel about the situation. Not even to ask me what I think about the matter. And our Worship Pastor, who lives next door to me, only bothered to tell me ahead of time because he had to post a Real Estate sign in his yard two days before he was going to tell everyone else at church.

Basically, to be blunt, it's like I'm getting the "screw you" approach from the staff at this church. Come volunteer on the worship team, and give it your all, but don't consider him, even as a courtesy, for the opening.

How would you feel about all that?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Barracuda,

It's really important that you earnestly seek the Lord in this matter. Fasting (in whatever manner you do,) during a matter like this might be helpful.

Quote: The church is run like a corporation, with the Pastor being the "CEO". His word is the final word on all matters of the church. He basically runs a dictatorship.

I attended a church that was run like this and, personally, I believe it's very wrong. I understand that it needs to be run like a business, to a degree, but never as a dictatorship. So many people in the church I attended were hurt by the staff and leadership. I was one of them. Fellowship in the church tended to be "cliques" and it seemed most were trying to see how close they could get to the staff/pastor so they could boast of status. The pastor dictated from the pulpit. He would yell, criticize and use guilt. (No, it was not a Catholic church. No offense to Catholics! Just using the old stereo-type of Catholics and guilt to make my point.)

I believe a pastor is supposed to shepherd and guide his flock, not rule and reign over them.

As I said, earnestly seek the Lord in this matter. Pray for the Holy Spirit's leading. Do what HE wants you to do. I left that church, but that isn't something to be taken lightly. Church-hopping is not a good thing. The best way to stop church-hopping is to pray and ask God to lead you to the church that HE wants you in... not trying to find a church where we feel "comfortable." I know that wasn't what you were asking, but I threw it in for free anyway!

I have faith that you will do the right thing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

PS.... Dictatorship = Ego