IGNORED

The 'X' in 'Xmas' literally means Christ

:thumbsup:

Happy Birthday LORD Jesus~!

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23

XO XO XO: 88 To Any HAM's Around The World

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. Matthew 2:1-2

And Help To Put The X Back Into His

Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little.

Blessed are all they that put their trust in him. Psalms 2:12

Glorious Celebration

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. Matthew 2:10-11

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

it bothers me for the above reasons ive listed in all 3 occurances. Its not properly used, it wasn't put in to keep Christ in Christmas but rather as a compromise to the politically correct, and I fail to see how misusing a obscure greek term can be a witnessing tool.

I understand intellectual disagreement, but why the visceral responses, e.g., stomachs knot up, cringing, etc.

There just seems to be more going on underneath the surface than some care to admit.

I can understand it. I dont react to that extreme, but its like when that person told me they were getting a "tattoo" to witness to others, its not only pointless, its stupid. If you have to draw attention to yourself to witness-your doing it wrong. You don't witness by drawing attention to yourself-or by misusing a greek term that no one even knows, or cares about even if it was properly used. Just because the greek symbol is similar to the X, does not mean the X in christmas means Christ-the X in Christmas is just that, an X, a politically correct for "christians" to avoid being badmouthed, and a way for stores to save money on marketing. Thats why we cringe. While your motives maybe good-the entire X-mas thing is foolish, and not something that, in my opinion, christians should be doing in Christmas, because regardless of the greek symbol, no matter how you spin it, it is taking Christ out of Christmas. If were going to compromise like this, then we might as well just stop celebrating it at all and just turn it in its entirety over to the world-because no good can come from compromise.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder how the Lord would respond if asked how He felt about His name being associated with a pagan holiday. I know its called Christmas but the roots run deep into paganism. As for the Greek symbolism used to represent Christ, I think He's already addressed Himself as the Alpha and Omega. I think anything beyond that conflicts with what he said concerning Himself and could hint of a Greek symbol becoming a graven image that could be worshipped since it would be seen as representing Christ.

Just my two cents worth. leave the money in the jar by the door. : )

God bless!

Metrick

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

it bothers me for the above reasons ive listed in all 3 occurances. Its not properly used, it wasn't put in to keep Christ in Christmas but rather as a compromise to the politically correct, and I fail to see how misusing a obscure greek term can be a witnessing tool.

I understand intellectual disagreement, but why the visceral responses, e.g., stomachs knot up, cringing, etc.

There just seems to be more going on underneath the surface than some care to admit.

I can understand it. I dont react to that extreme, but its like when that person told me they were getting a "tattoo" to witness to others, its not only pointless, its stupid. If you have to draw attention to yourself to witness-your doing it wrong. You don't witness by drawing attention to yourself-or by misusing a greek term that no one even knows, or cares about even if it was properly used. Just because the greek symbol is similar to the X, does not mean the X in christmas means Christ-the X in Christmas is just that, an X, a politically correct for "christians" to avoid being badmouthed, and a way for stores to save money on marketing. Thats why we cringe. While your motives maybe good-the entire X-mas thing is foolish, and not something that, in my opinion, christians should be doing in Christmas ...

Yes, that is only your opinion, although I suspect it's one that's shared by many Worthians.

Paul too talks about foolishness, as well as judging the servant of another.

It just seems to me that there's an abundance of criticism on these forums this Christmas, but that's only my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

my point exactly. I fail to see the logic. So what if it "literally" means  Christ in greek. The vast majority of people don't know greek, and don't care either. to them, its taking Christ out of Christmas, people didn't start using it because it means that in greek-people started using it so as not to "offend" non-christians. Stores started using it for that reason-saves them costs in advertising, and doesn't "offend people" and christians started doing it for much the same reason. I can't think of a single, legitimate reason to say merry X-mas, even if you "mean" Christmas. Jesus spoke to the people in their language, not a language they didn't know, we should do the same.

I agree

Guest shiloh357

I agree with Patriot on this.    The "X" is a Greek symbol, but it doesn't mean in our culture what it means in Greek.   That "X" is also a Greek letter in the name of Christ is a happy coincidence.  "Xmas" was originally meant to remove the Name that is so offensive to many in the secular world.  The emphasis on the Greek symbol is kind of an ex post facto attempt to sanitize the term.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I agree with Patriot on this.    The "X" is a Greek symbol, but it doesn't mean in our culture what it means in Greek.   That "X" is also a Greek letter in the name of Christ is a happy coincidence.  "Xmas" was originally meant to remove the Name that is so offensive to many in the secular world.  The emphasis on the Greek symbol is kind of an ex post facto attempt to sanitize the term.

From an article about the origin of the X as an abbreviation for Christ.

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/14/7374401/jesus-xmas-christmas

'In the early fourth century, Constantine the Great, Roman Emperor from 306-337, popularized this shorthand for Christ.'

'Most scholars agree that the first appearance of this abbreviation for Christmas dates to 1021, "when an Anglo-Saxon scribe saved himself space by writing XPmas," reported First Things. Parchment paper was quite expensive, so any techniques for saving space were welcome. The abbreviation stuck and eventually was shortened to Xmas. '

'

ΙΧΘΥΣ

It's pronounced Ich-thus, and it's the Greek word for fish. You may know it better as the so-called "Jesus fish" of bumper sticker fame. Early Christians used it as an abbreviated form of one of their creeds: "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior."

These shorthands happen in seminaries all the time. As they do with Christ, seminarians write a similar shorthand for the Greek word God, which is θεός (theos). When abbreviating the word, they'll just jot down the first letter, θ (theta).'

Guest shiloh357

'In the early fourth century, Constantine the Great, Roman Emperor from 306-337, popularized this shorthand for Christ.'

'Most scholars agree that the first appearance of this abbreviation for Christmas dates to 1021, "when an Anglo-Saxon scribe saved himself space by writing XPmas," reported First Things. Parchment paper was quite expensive, so any techniques for saving space were welcome. The abbreviation stuck and eventually was shortened to Xmas. '

'

ΙΧΘΥΣ

It's pronounced Ich-thus, and it's the Greek word for fish. You may know it better as the so-called "Jesus fish" of bumper sticker fame. Early Christians used it as an abbreviated form of one of their creeds: "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior."

These shorthands happen in seminaries all the time. As they do with Christ, seminarians write a similar shorthand for the Greek word God, which is θεός (theos). When abbreviating the word, they'll just jot down the first letter, θ (theta).'

That may be true, but our secular culture did not adopt "Xmas" in order to honor Christ. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

'

ΙΧΘΥΣ

That may be true, but our secular culture did not adopt "Xmas" in order to honor Christ.

This reminds me of what happened to what was once called the Olympic salute, which was practically indistinguishable from the Nazi salute, esp. during the 1936 Munich Olympics.

As a result, the State Dept. told the U.S. Olympic team not to do anything that could be confused with a fascist salute.

After WW II, the Olympic salute fell into permanent disuse.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/08/the-official-olympic-salute-stopped-being-popularly-used-after-wwii-due-to-strongly-resembling-the-heil-hitler-salute/

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

yes, well that was wise on the the state departments part, perhaps christians should follow suite.