IGNORED

teen/elders/obedience/manners Is my Aunt wrong?

katyolemiss

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi y'all

This post is sort of like another one I had but I am sort of stuck on thinking of this issue.  i'm 16 and my Aunt (who I live with) and most adults where I'm from expect to hear yes ma'am that just yes/yea when answering adult.  My aunt says that this is good manners as well as expected because she is an elder to me as well as authority figure. She said when I don't, it shows "willful disobedience" and I get in trouble. I tell her I forget which isn't exactly true but I don't see why it is needed always. I know some in the chatroom have explained things to me but I was trying to get other opinions also. I don't see it as a big deal but my Aunt does and maybe some of y'all here too? I am learning it's regional. What do you expect when being answered by teens, kids, etc.  Ami I just being rebellious on purpose like My aunt says or do you agree with me?  Sorry if i'm bugging y'all and thanks for responding. I do know I have a problem arguing back also, but at 16 shouldn't I be able to? My aunt thinks I should say "yes ma'am I understand but may we talk about it further?" instead of just arguing. I think thats overboard! Who is right?

Katy

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

You are to listen to your elders. It is good manners and they will take you far in life. Did you ever read an etiquette book?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

some of it does depend on where you live, what is considered ok, and what is not. Obviously, your aunt-who is by your own admittance your elder and authority figure (you live with her, your a minor, your under her care) thinks its something you should do. And even in areas where its not required-no one is offended by saying yes maam, unless done so sarcastically. And it won't hurt you to follow her rules, its one extra word, and in reality, by lying to her (thats what your doing when you say you forgot and you didn't) your actually showing her disrespect. If you truly respect her-then you should have no problem adding ma'am to your yes. It won't hurt anything-take .02 seconds out of your day, and it will make her happy, and your life easier. I can't think of a single reason not to.

alien YES I HAVE!!!!!!

Doesn't cover using ma'am and sir though! I mean, what do you expect?" Is it important in your opinion. Sorry for sounding mad, but i do have manners! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I believe you katy, and the rules change where your at, but the basic rule of thumb is just that, it changes where your at. If where your at wants yes sir or yes maam that means do that! if it doesnt it doesnt. If its considered polite to say yes maam and yes sir, and you dont, then you are being rude. Its as simple as that.

Yes sir your right I don't know why it bugs me so much, just does, But you are right!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11

I grew up in the South and that's just what we did.  I teach my kiddo's the same thing.  It's just polite to say "sir" and "ma'am."  It was so ingrained in me that I called my drill sergeants that.  They didn't like it so much...I ended up doing lots of push ups...but it's all good.  I still say that to older people.  :)

I say it all the time. Some people don't want me to say it to them, but it's just a habit, I guess. It shows respect, but I was just raised to say it. Young people today don't think that they need to do it any more, that it is old fashioned. But young people (not all) don't really respect anyone, not even themselves. That is proved by the sexting, and all the selfies they post, and all the "free stuff" they expect from the government (the tax payer).