unworldly

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Every time I listen to a pastor,I am likely to learn something about the etymological facts that are related to a word or term in the Scripture.

Is it a widely accepted practice in Bible study,or something which is not necessary ,but encouraged ?

Is it sometimes essential for understanding Scripture?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

No, it is "never" essential for understanding scripture, God preserves His word-in a way we can understand it. His word is there, in its entirety, in our language, to suggest otherwise-would be to doubt God. With that said, going into the greek and hebrew can certainly deepen our understanding of scripture, help us understand it better for one, and 2, any time we spend in scripture, is drawing closer to God. 

Guest shiloh357

Every time I listen to a pastor,I am likely to learn something about the etymological facts that are related to a word or term in the Scripture.

Is it a widely accepted practice in Bible study,or something which is not necessary ,but encouraged ?

Word Studies are an essential part of Bible study.   English is far less precise than either Hebrew or Koine Greek.  Hebrew, in particular, is very nuanced and those nuances and shades of meaning often never come out in English and they can have a profound effect on how we understand a word.  Word usage is also very important because the way a word is used is often more important to the understanding of the text than word meaning.

My favorite example of word usage being more important is how we use the English word love.  We often use "love" to mean something else like, "I just love it when people cut me off in traffic."   Or, "Don't you love getting waken up at 2:30 by someone who got the wrong number?"   We use "love" to mean the exact opposite of what it means.

But as far as etymology is concerned, it is important because there is as much as a 4,000 year old linguistic gap between us and those who lived in biblical times.   We can read the Bible and make sense of it for the most part in English, but having a better understanding of the original texts can only enhance and deepen your study of the text.

:thumbsup:

My First Reader, Beating In The Language Of My Heart

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:`6 (KJV)

And An Old Treasure Of My Adulthood

Your words were found, and I ate them; and Your words were to me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart, for I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16 (AMP)

~

My First Reading Primer, Singing In The Language Of My Soul

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16 (KJV)

And A Priceless Gift To Awaken My Intellect

For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. John 3:16 (AMP)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Word Studies are an essential part of Bible study.   English is far less precise than either Hebrew or Koine Greek.  Hebrew, in particular, is very nuanced and those nuances and shades of meaning often never come out in English and they can have a profound effect on how we understand a word.  Word usage is also very important because the way a word is used is often more important to the understanding of the text than word meaning.

My favorite example of word usage being more important is how we use the English word love.  We often use "love" to mean something else like, "I just love it when people cut me off in traffic."   Or, "Don't you love getting waken up at 2:30 by someone who got the wrong number?"   We use "love" to mean the exact opposite of what it means.

But as far as etymology is concerned, it is important because there is as much as a 4,000 year old linguistic gap between us and those who lived in biblical times.   We can read the Bible and make sense of it for the most part in English, but having a better understanding of the original texts can only enhance and deepen your study of the text.

What you're saying may explain why many Christians prefer to study the King James Version ,or the Amplified Version,or the NIV.

Perhaps,they believe a particular translation is more accurate than the others,because better etymological analysis has been done to carry out that translation.