IGNORED

WorthyNews: 25 percent of Florida Keys homes are gone after Irma, FEMA estimates

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.44
  • Content Count:  44,480
  • Content Per Day:  7.19
  • Days Won:  2

(Worthy News) - With 25 percent of the homes in the Florida Keys feared destroyed, emergency workers Tuesday rushed to find Hurricane Irma's victims -- dead or alive -- and deliver food and water to the stricken island chain.

As crews labored to repair the lone highway connecting the Keys, residents of some of the islands closest to Florida's mainland were allowed to return and get their first look at the devastation.

"It's going to be pretty hard for those coming home," said Petrona Hernandez, whose concrete home on Plantation Key with 35-foot walls was unscathed, unlike others a few blocks away. "It's going to be devastating to them." [ Source (Read More...) ]

View the full article

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

In Islamorada, a trailer park was devastated, the homes ripped apart as if by a giant claw. A sewage-like stench hung over the place.

I don't wish to sound unsympathetic to loss on this scale, but I do have a question:

If one chooses to inhabit a mobile home in Florida (especially in the Florida keys) - an area especially prone to hurricanes - is it not reasonable to expect your home is going to be destroyed at some point?

Yet the government (i.e. taxpayers) will foot much of the bill for rebuilding.  It doesn't make sense.

But then, not much of what the gov't does makes sense.

Blessings,

-Ed