IGNORED

What are your opinions on 12 step programs (not CR)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi there. I was just curious as to what peoples thoughts were on 12 step programs besides Celebrate Recovery...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,667
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Sorry but I can't say that I have an opinion on any "program" except the program of our Lord and savior Jesus and His Gospel. That program I hardily endorse.

During my own lifetime I have gone from being a heavily addicted tobacco user to not being one, simply as a gift from God the Holy Spirit, no quiting involved. I have been removed from alcohol use as well, but not with such quick and easy conviction. And I have managed to get off Hydrocodone completely,- wow a very pain filled withdrawal! May  I never have to do that again.

What has sustained the change  in me is the busy-ness and business of being a bond-servant of Jesus. The replacement of a need with the doing of what the faith of Jesus commands his servants to be about doing, along with the praying-reading-learning-thinking and applying the word of God, the Bible.

I can't state that help groups are not a good thing!!! But for me, I find that my own being separate is indeed good for the reason that I need to be about doing what God wills of me within the local body of Christ. I personally can't do that and share and listen to the laments of clusters of others that share a same weakness as myself, giving me cover for and acceptance of my weakness and failings.  

I can confess my sin and I can work with an accountability partner, but not just sit and share my version of a common sin with others that have  similar life stories to share each week.

I have to hold up to a standard that says, "run the race as though to win it", do not seek the company of others willing to take a rest and to settle for sharing of sad issues of life with the idea that seeing them as common is of benefit. It is common to lose the race too. So I do not dwell on the weaknesses, instead I try to seek out new strength needed to run instead. Again, that may not be great for others, it has been my own path to run.

If there is a book in addition to the Bible to read for encouragement, it might be the one I mention here so often.  "Finish First, Winning Changes Everything".